Wanting your opinion...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Another Whistler

Post by Another Whistler »

What brand of whistle (in your opinion) sounds the sweetest?
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Dixon has a sweet but traditional sound with some chiff.

The Susato VSB is sweet and pure but loud.

For conical whistles, I find the Sweetone to be a sweet whistle (ironic, that, isn't it?) with some chiff.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Oh boy, subjective city here we come...

Since sweet is actually a taste as opposed to a sound, we really need to define sweet. To ME (and apparently me alone) sweet is more playing style than tone - I've heard songs played on a clarke original (and on a tuba) that I would considered played sweetly (dolce in italian and in musical terms). So the question is not applicable.

If, by sweet, you mean a pure "clean" tone (only tone, no other sounds), then an O'Riordan and a Hoover are the first ones to come to my mind. Silkstone and the tweaked Generation/Feadogs/etc. also come to mind, but I've heard other people say differently.

I would suggest listening to some of the whistle clips and then decide.

Good Luck and happy Whistling..
Frank
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

5,476,001.... :roll:
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

The Obriain D improved! yes!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I haven't tried a Hoover or an O'Riorden (but would love to incidently if anyone has one to sell).

I have:

Nickel Copeland
Burke Brass session Pro'
Burke Aluminum session pro
Overton (Goldie)
Overton (Bernard)
Clarke
Tweaked Clarke (by the whistle shop)
Water Weasel
Susato (used to have)
Clare
Clarke Sweetone

Of these the Burke Brass has the purest tone. The Tweaked clarke also is sweet with just a touch of chiff.

Susatos don't have much chiff if you are a Susato fan. I am not.

Actually the Weasel isn't really "chiffy" but it has sort of a woody sound not really "pure" but certainly a fantastic whistle.

If you want pure and innocent go with a Burke Brass.

Check out Clips and Snips. : )

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

I've tried:

Dixon
SweeTone
Feadog
Tweaked Feadog (by me)
O'Briain Improved
Meg
Tweaked Meg (by me)
Generation
Doolin
Oak
Hoover

Of these, the one I'd call "sweetest" is the Hoover, by far. Second to that is the Feadog I tweaked myself. The O'Briain Improved is probably next. I think both the Oak and the Doolin would sound very sweet with a little tweaking. Haven't gotten to it yet.

I'd love to try an O'Riordian, of course. The one I heard live caused heads to turn :smile:.

Tery
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Of the whistles I have, the O'Briain "improved" D is without a doubt the "sweetest"...clear, pure and round without shrillness. I haven't begun to play all the whistles out there, however (not even all the "cheap" ones!)...this comparison is based on a gaggle of Generations, a Clare, a Walton, a Clarke Original, a Meg and a Susato Dublin (the latter also has a very clean, pure sound, but lacks the lovely, bird-like quality of the O'Briain).

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-07-29 18:17 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My laughing whistle is exceptionally sweet to my ears, though other whistlers have not been as happy with theirs. I will post a clip tonight if I remember.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-07-29 22:49 ]</font>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Oops, forgot one of my favorite whistles (actually it's my wife's whistle, so there ya go):

we have a Parkhurst E-flat which is phenomenally sweet, pure, and clear, all the way up its range.

Lovely whistle--it doesn't get much better than that.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

I've played only Generations, Shaws, Susatos, Hoovers, and Burkes; the latter (aluminum) have a very lovely tone. The *sweetest* whistle I have is a Hoover tunable brass C.
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

To my idea of "sweet sounding" I too have to say my Laughing Whistle. But I like my Burke brass best overall.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I haven't stuck them to an oscilliscope, but to me Hoovers sound the most 'pure sine wave' sound out of any whistle I've tried. Whether this is a good thing or not is a matter of personal taste.
On 2002-07-29 20:33, Jim W wrote:
I've played only Generations, Shaws, Susatos, Hoovers, and Burkes; the latter (aluminum) have a very lovely tone. The *sweetest* whistle I have is a Hoover tunable brass C.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Here's a clip of <a href="http://www.cableone.net/bgerty/laughing ... p.mp3">The Peat Fire Flame</a> on my laughing.
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

On 2002-07-29 22:50, avanutria wrote:
Here's a clip of <a href="http://www.cableone.net/bgerty/laughing ... p.mp3">The Peat Fire Flame</a> on my laughing.
Oh, my...

}sigh{
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."