Who's customer service is best?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Who's customer service is best?

Post by marcpipes »

We've all read grievances of poor workmanship, overly long waits or outright theft and hoodwinking by various makers. Who are the makers that have the best customer service for product, time frame, repair, and general help? I hope this doesn't go against any policy or encourage shills and self promotion, but who has given you the best experience in the pipe market?
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Seth Gallagher every time!!!! Couldn't find better
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Seth Gallagher has been an absolute master with customer service, bits and pieces, hours of SOLID advice and no BS. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

nick whitmer is also excellent,short wait,good pipes, always willing to help.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

while I've only dealt with a handful of people, Bruce Childress is at the top of my list. When I had an old reed he'd made that wasn't up to snuff anymore, he took it back, adjusted it and sent it back. I don't recall exactly, but I don't remember him charging me for that. I was buying keys at the time and sent it in the chanter. I'd asked him if he'd have a look at it and he said to send it when the keys were ready and he would.

He built the keys for my chanter without the chanter present, then told me when they were about ready so I could mail it to him priority, he must have put them on the day he got it or the next because well inside a week I had my chanter back and it was perfect.

I've never had trouble reaching him on email or phone and he's always been happy to answer my questions.

I don't know, maybe that stuff's par for the course, but it was certainly more than I expected to receive, and I've dealt with others who have a lead time of two or three months for returning phone calls and emails...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

Very positive experiences with Seth Gallagher, Bruce Childress, and Brad Angus.
Simon
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Well I would have to say Seth Gallagher too. I have dealt with four other pipe makers (a chanter from two different makers and half sets from two others) and I would recommend them all.

Although I have only ordered supplies from Seth, every time I have called, he has picked up the phone, I don’t do that, I screen my calls. And the supplies have gotten to me very quickly. I recently ordered some cane from him and on the day I was thinking “he should be getting my check and order in the mail” I received the cane in the mail.
mapmgr

Patient with newbie questions

Post by mapmgr »

I'd like to put a plug in for CJ Dixon as far as general help. He was very patient with me when I was playing 20 questions with him a few months ago. I'd like to eventually get that cocobolo set we had talked about.

-- Glenn
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

My Granny's a boxer :o
carel

Post by carel »

Marc van Daal
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Those of us, most of us that is, who've only ever bought one item of pipery can only suggest the maker from whom they bought it. So, it's a bit misleading because I don't think anybody's had much opportunity to make comparisons.

Plus, I've heard of pipemakers being criticised because they dared to suggest that the purchasee make their own reeds (after frustratingly providing yet another replacment for the one they stuffed around with) - yet I think that is the best advice a maker can give - was for me anyway.- and hence constitues top customer service

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

This one is easy.... Saturn Automobiles. :D
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've purchased pipes or related goods from no fewer than six makers and visited several as well. Seth Gallagher still stands at the top of the list.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

My first practise set was by Niel O'Grady and he was very helpful..especially to someone starting out.

Currently I can attest to the great service from Mr. Kirk Lynch. A very helpful pipemaker indeed!