Cheap wood.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cheap wood.

Post by Dale »

slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Less than $25 USD including shipping to the States.

Tempting.

Mike
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Lee Valley Tools rocks. Has for years. No, they don't pay me to say this!

I noticed last month that the doc fixing my leg wound (now healing nicely) was usind Canica surgical tools, designed by Leonard Lee himself.

Whistle / flutemakers might want to look at Lee Valley's selection of turning blanks. I've turned their dogwood blanks before, and they're dead stable. They've been aging for decades. They also have some exotics that can be tough to get, depending on where one lives.

Their tools (Veritas) are comparable to Lie Neisson Toolworks, have more original designs (in my opinion), and are a bit cheaper. Entertaining catalogue, too.

Sorry to rave on, but I always get a bit wild-eyed and drooly around cool tool stuff.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Arghh!

Couldn't help myself. I just ordered one. $22.50 US delivered to my house! I will report the cat's opinion (she's the most sensitive critic around here) when it arrives.

:)
John F.

Post by John F. »

ARRRGGHHH! Must....order...whistle...can't....stop....WHOA.... :boggle:

Around here, my dogs are my most vocal critics. I ordered one--been looking for a wood whistle in a low price range to try before I jump off the deep end and by a several hundred dollar work of art! :)

I will also report back...Thanks for the tip, Dale! :D

Also, the fife that's on the other link appears to be the same model I picked up as a keepsake from attending a Civil War re-enactment here in Southern Californina last fall. It's made by Cooperman, and is a nifty little player. My KORG tuner has not arrived yet, so I cannot really speak to how accurate the intonation is, but it sounds OK to me, if that makes any sense. :D
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
Montana

Post by Montana »

Will someone please tell me why people insist on adding "flute" to the word "whistle"? Why don't people write "r*c*rd*r flute"? Because it's not a flute! It's like calling something a "trumpet tuba". Sheesh...
turtleneck

Post by turtleneck »

I picked up one of those wooden whistles a couple of years ago. It was very hard to get a sound out of it and not quite in tune. The poem I learned as a tiny tot has taught me well:

I bought a wooden whistle but it wooden whistle,
I bought a steel whistle and I steel couldn't whistle.
Then I bought a tin whistle and now I tin whistle.

I'm not speaking out against all wooden whistles. Just this one in particular. :)
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Montana wrote:Will someone please tell me why people insist on adding "flute" to the word "whistle"? Why don't people write "r*c*rd*r flute"? Because it's not a flute! It's like calling something a "trumpet tuba". Sheesh...
Not a great analogy. Tuba is latin for trumpet, I believe.

I do get your point, though. It's a real pain in the butt (and unethical) practice on EBay as well, and makes running searches tricky.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The wood whistle looks nice and made well, but the hole spacing looks off. I have a fife like that one and it has a nice tone to it. Right now i don't remember where it is. :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Montana wrote:Will someone please tell me why people insist on adding "flute" to the word "whistle"? Why don't people write "r*c*rd*r flute"? Because it's not a flute! It's like calling something a "trumpet tuba". Sheesh...
Whistles, recorders and transverse flutes including fifes/piccolos, diagonal flutes (kavals and neys) and vertical flutes (shakuhachis and kena etc) are all broadly classed as flutes because that is what they are. Check it out in any reputable music book.

The whistles and recorders belong to the fipple branch of the flute family.

Boy Scouts and Girl Guides blow whsitles but the "whistles" we play are a type of fipple flute. Get over it.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Yeah... Coopermans.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:Yeah... Coopermans.
Aren't Coopermans considered THE fife of fifers and madfifers everywhere?

I wondered about the hole spacing on the wooden whistle flute. However in spite of the nice price I need neither one at the moment.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
John F.

Post by John F. »

That particular Cooperman, although maple, is their low-end mass-produced gift shoppe version. I am enjoying mine--it's fun to play and practice on (made one out of PVC using it as a pattern--worked great! :D ), I wouldn't try showing up to a fife and drum muster with one, though :o . A good fife (which I don't have yet) will run you between 80 and 120 USD.
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have one of the low end Cooperman's too and I like it a lot. I got it at the gift shop in Colonial Williamsburg and had about 100 to choose from so I picked through them and found one with some birdseyes on it. When I got it home I stripped the varnish off, applied a very light golden stain and then an oil finish. The finish came off the brass end ferrules too, so now they've aged a bit and the whole thing has a rather attractive antique look.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tommy wrote:The wood whistle looks nice and made well, but the hole spacing looks off. I have a fife like that one and it has a nice tone to it. Right now i don't remember where it is. :)
I have one of those low-rent Cooperman's too, and I wouldn't give it to anybody for fear they'd hold it against me. :lol: ... or throttle me with it... :o It is pretty to look at but not at all in tune, even with itself. Now, I understand there is a higher end model that looks much the same (the finger holes may be slightly champhered?) but is actually a decent quality instrument.

I wonder if those in the link are equal to the former or the latter?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com