Vibrato on Airs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Vibrato on Airs

Post by riverman »

I have discovered a new kick in playing airs. Is using vibrato necessary on airs? Desirable? Detestable? I am having trouble making vibrato sound right, but then I can't sing using vibrato either. so I think I'm a poor judge.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
AiglosCelt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

Are you using breath or finger vibrato? It sounds like breath. Try trilling your finger on the hole two notes below the one you're on. That is usually much easier than breath vibrato.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Vibrato... I would say is not "necessary"...But I do like the technique…not only in airs, but also in quicker pieces.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Is breath vibrato as good as finger vibrato? Breath vibrato comes naturally, while finger vibrato will definitely take a lot of practice.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I always felt that breath virbrato was more difficult than finger virbrato (at least to accomplish at will). The breath verbrato, without a doubt (IMHO), offers a far more interesting, even though more subtle, effect than finger vibrato.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I use both. As Ann mentioned, breath vibrato comes naturally to me. (I do use it sometimes when singing.) However, finger vibrato can produce effects that I can't easily get from breath vibrato.

With all fingers down, finger vibrato is impossible, but you can also get a vibrato by shaking the whole whistle. Of course shaking works on other notes, too. In fact, I tend to use it when only one or two holes are open. (In other words, when my right hand index finger is not available.) Shaking may look funny, though.

I play mostly slow airs, and I generally prefer not to use vibrato all the way through a piece, but use it mostly for emphasis or to get a bit more "emotion" into a note. I also like to break up a really long note by adding vibrato just to some latter portion of the note--especially on the last note of a slur. I like finger vibrato for this.

All this analysis is after the fact. I don't really think about it when I'm playing.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

Actually, most people's vibrato on voice is produced through the building of a good voice. Basically (if I remember right from my music theory class) it is the vocal chords naturally quivering, indicating that they are strong and well built. "Breath" vibrato on voice is actually much harder to produce than natural vibrato.

I use mostly finger vibrato. Well, actually I basically use breath vibrato on everything, as it just comes naturally to me now. But for concious addition of vibrato, I use fingers, because it is more obvious.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use both.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I use breath vibrato a lot of the time without even realizing it.

I do use finger vibrato a lot more than breath vibrato though. Your fingers can do the work much faster. It also gives it a completely different sound, especially on those faster tunes that you want to add a little flavor to. I prefer the sound of the finger vibrato when possible.

There are, however, certain notes (like the low D on a D whistle) that just aren't possible to finger vibrato so I guess it's good to be able to do both.
riverman

Another question from a newbie...

Post by riverman »

Thanks for all your replies.
Though it is a bit harder, I am going for throat vibrato as my daughter the flutist taught me. I am not super coordinated, and my fingers have enough to do. Also, I like the more subtile throat vibrato. My daughter says vibrato should never stray into another note, but stay with the note being played. That puts limits that I think finger vibrato can cross (that is, unless, of course, I'm WRONG)!
Also--I have noticed on airs that people cut longer notes. Should that ever be used WITH vibrato?
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I can't see (or hear) a problem with using a finger ornament (a cut) and vibrato on long notes.
Vibrato is definitely not part of the tradition. But if you can make it sound good, who cares.
Short bio: 1952-
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

To me it seems worth mentioning that a good vibrato with the lungs should be preceded by good breathing technic with the diaphram. This works for me but I do not use a lot of vibrato. My fingers are not fast enough to do it with them yet. The most even spaced vibrato I have made comes when I play under the celling fan. :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

[quote=Plug your ears when you play or you'll end up with hearing loss or tinnitus.[/quote]

EH WHAT'S THAT YA SAY! SPEAK UP AND STOP RINGING THAT BELL AND BUZZER!
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

In flute playing the chief vibrato method is finger vibrato.
As whistling often leads to fluting, there is something to
be said for mastering finger vibrato, especially as
general breath vibrato in flute playing is both verboten
and hard for some of us to eliminate.

Finger vibrato is indeed hard to master, IMO.
Part of the 'trick', I think, is to learn to partially
cover holes when doing it. One straightens the
finger so that it creases the side of the hole
closest to the hand. This enables one to
play about with the degree of vibrato by covering
more or less of the hole, so that one can shape
the vibrato while the note sounds.

Grey Larsen's book is very helpful on this.
Wombat

Re: Another question from a newbie...

Post by Wombat »

riverman wrote: My daughter says vibrato should never stray into another note, but stay with the note being played. That puts limits that I think finger vibrato can cross (that is, unless, of course, I'm WRONG)!
This passage sounds strange to me. It sounds like you might be confusing vibrato with trills. You never get finger vibrato by wiggling over the hole directly below the bottom closed hole; that would be a trill. You need to move one hole further down. So, to get vibrato on G, wiggle over the E note, not the F# note. You will be in no danger whatsover of altering the pitch by anything remotely like a semi-tone.