A nurse!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Oh my god...it doesn't get much more american than that does it?
Sweden-Switzerland..

HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!! :lol:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Montana wrote:All these MALE nurses... cool! Gotta love liberation!
http://www.mcphee.com/items/11355.html
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

amar wrote:Oh my god...it doesn't get much more american than that does it?
Sweden-Switzerland..

She was tired, amar! And besides, she's from Texas :wink: so I'd watch out!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I guess, that given my occupation as a Veterinary Technician, I could be considered a Male Nurse... maybe closer to Male Nurse Practitioner? :D
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

brewerpaul wrote:
Montana wrote:All these MALE nurses... cool! Gotta love liberation!
http://www.mcphee.com/items/11355.html
I finished nursing school in 1981. The percentage of male nurses in the USA at that time was 6%, about the same as today. My class at Case Western Reserve University had about 10% males, all of whom already had bachelor's degrees in other disciplines. Nursing as a profession still has a slightly negative connotation. That was the whole point of making Ben Stiller's character a nurse rather than a doctor. Would Robert di Niro given a doctor a polygraph?
Anyway, I am glad to see that there are so many nurses of all genders who enjoy making music.
Mike
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I guess, that given my occupation as a Veterinary Technician, I could be considered a Male Nurse... maybe closer to Male Nurse Practitioner? :D
Mee too. I use to be a Vet tech- for 13 yrs.(but was never male) :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

For 8 years, our next neighbor was a male RN.

When we first met him, he told us that his claim to fame was that he was the only black male nurse that most patients had ever encountered. And that they often misidentified him as either a doctor or an orderly. Rather odd - until the mid-1800s hospital nursing was almost exclusively male. Remember reading how shocking Florence Nightingale was?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

My wife and mother-in-law are nurses, and my wife, sister and I are all paramedics of one sort or another. The rest of the family is either in education, or the clergy (and they see themselves as educators).

Healthcare and education. It struck me that there's a lot of us on this board.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

amar wrote:Oh my god...it doesn't get much more american than that does it?
Sweden-Switzerland..

Yeah :D It was a while ago since I last heard it though.
Anyway, good work Mary :D
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

A few years ago, a nurse coworker told me a particular patient didn't want me taking care of him because he figured I was gay because I was a nurse. I did a little construction work before becoming an RN. This beats that by a mile, physically and monetarily. I tell guys that all the time. I don't get rained out, you know? Medical things make guys queasy. I say, you can get used to just about anything eventually. We nurses agree that there are certain things that will gross us out no matter what. Seeing blood is not one of them. We have to remember not to gross non-nurses out at the dinner table from time to time. :)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

TonyHiggins wrote:A few years ago, a nurse coworker told me a particular patient didn't want me taking care of him because he figured I was gay because I was a nurse. I did a little construction work before becoming an RN. This beats that by a mile, physically and monetarily. I tell guys that all the time. I don't get rained out, you know? Medical things make guys queasy. I say, you can get used to just about anything eventually. We nurses agree that there are certain things that will gross us out no matter what. Seeing blood is not one of them. We have to remember not to gross non-nurses out at the dinner table from time to time. :)
Tony
but it's fun to do. :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

As a parasitologist, of which group few were females, I can truthfully say that I am virtually un-gross-outable. I can, in fact, revolt even the most staunch of nurses. Physicians are quite a bit easier, except for surgeons.

I say "virtually" because there is one group that gets me every time . . . podiatrists. Brains, gallbladders, hips and knees, pus, maggots and gore, hideous flesh-eating tropical ulcers . . . they're all neither here nor there. Drop below the ankle, though, and all is lost.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

amar wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:A few years ago, a nurse coworker told me a particular patient didn't want me taking care of him because he figured I was gay because I was a nurse. I did a little construction work before becoming an RN. This beats that by a mile, physically and monetarily. I tell guys that all the time. I don't get rained out, you know? Medical things make guys queasy. I say, you can get used to just about anything eventually. We nurses agree that there are certain things that will gross us out no matter what. Seeing blood is not one of them. We have to remember not to gross non-nurses out at the dinner table from time to time. :)
Tony
but it's fun to do. :D

Yep, it is!! :D

Or, grossing out non-nurses about eating - back in college, a group of us nursing students were having a very spirited discussion in biology lab one day about what we were going to have for lunch as soon as we finished up with the cats we were in the process of dissecting. The non-nursing students in the class didn't appreciate the conversation. :D
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

We use to gross out folks all the time when they were eating, if we weren't careful, when I was a vet tech, and we'd get to go out for lunch.

Actually, there was a large animal dr. we worked with who was really funny and she'd get us on rare occasion. Her best was when she came in from cleaning up a cow with a prolapsed uterus- it had been out way too long . When she came in the building we smelled her before we saw her. We were eating pizza and she reached over and helped herself- with no more washing of the hands than she'd done at her truck immediately after working on the cow. Whew- that was nasty.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

For a period of time in the late 60's I was an orderly at a hospital in the suburbs of Denver, CO. I wore a white uniform, and I was often mistaken for a doctor. As an orderly, you can guess that I got some of the least desirable jobs, which I will spare you the details. At that time in the 60's I think that a man was at a disadvantage in being able to give patient care. There were some tasks that I could only do with men or very elderly women, whereas the women were able to do any task for either men or women. I remember being reported by a male patient and getting in trouble with the head nurse. The man who reported me didn't want me to answer his light when he had to urinate in bed. He wanted a woman to hold it for him, so he had made up a story that I had refused to help him. It was upsetting to me because the head nurse didn't know who to believe. The same kind of problem can arise in a school situation when a student falsely accuses you of some improper conduct. Unfortunately, depending on the administration, you may have difficulty defending yourself and assumed at least partially guilty. I hate that feeling.