Terry McGee Flute on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Terry McGee Flute on Ebay

Post by dow »

It's not mine, and I don't know if it's legitimate or not, but here it is:

McGee Rudall on Ebay

If it's for real, it might be a dandy one to pick up.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
spittle

Post by spittle »

"You can almost hear "The Lord of the Dance" just looking at this piece, but now you can play it!!!"

Sold!
dow

Post by dow »

:lol:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Is that a crack?

?
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

I doubt that is a crack. I see two footjoints and note the very square embouchure cut. I wonder how old this flute is. By using an auction service, Snappy (whoever they are) we cannot tell who the owner is.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Screeeech!!! wrote:Image

Is that a crack?
I don't think it is a crack either. Blackwood has those little surface checks, just part of the grain.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The seller may not be a pure-drop player but with hundreds of sales in the last few months and only a few blips in their customer ratings (a few cancelled sales), the seller looks safe.

The 2 foot joints is interesting: one with open C's, the other whith keys. Maybe Terry remembers this flute and could tell us more?

Cheers,
Aaron
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There's a similar McGee Pratten listed on Brad's site (I think - or it could be on woodenflute.com) that also has two feet so you either have a 6 key or 8 key flute.

Just an interesting observation that's likely meaningless.

Eric
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is a steal of a deal right now, but of course the reserve is not met yet. It looks more like a Perfected (larger holes) than a refined.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Tom O'Farrell wrote:By using an auction service, Snappy (whoever they are) we cannot tell who the owner is.
Snappy is registered as a private seller and should not sell items on comission for others.

Seller also have a Abell D whistle for sale.

Maybe these fine instruments ended up in a pawnshop ???

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Hmmm, that thing on the flute just looked like grain, but it had a cracked key according to the ad copy.

I could be mistaken, but I think the picture of the whistle's bell and number shows a crack going down into the A and another extending below it. It catches the light in two shots taken at different angles and appears as a dark chink in the tone hole edge in another.

The photograph looks like it was taken to show the crack, too, not just the number and the bell, but if you tried to return the whistle saying the defect had not been disclosed, they could refuse saying they presented it clearly in the photograph.

Marcus may be correct about the pawnshop. Sigh. When I see anonymous instruments like this on E-Bay, I always wonder if they were stolen.
Last edited by Lambchop on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

If they ended up in a pawnshop, the seller must have either been desparate or cluelss 'cause a pawnbroker wouldn't have given anything for them. When I started looking for a wooden flute, the "resale" shops I talked to said they don't carry or buy wooden flutes because they don't get requests for them. Same with bagpipes. Silver flutes are a different thing...
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Well the flute went for $2800 - a good deal if it turns out to be OK. Was it anyone here?? I had planned to bid, but forgot about it - probably wouldn't have gone that far though.
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube