Wanna ride?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wanna ride?

Post by Dale »

djm

Post by djm »

Engage!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

A hypothetical device with a theoretical engine!! Sign me up; that sounds fantastic.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sh*t! We're clean out of dilithium crystals!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

brewerpaul wrote:Sh*t! We're clean out of dilithium crystals!
What about the Pew-32 Space Modulator?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
emmline

Post by emmline »

I hate to be pessimistic, but unless anyone can come up with a Wookie
to co-pilot, the mission would be doomed to disaster.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

"The US authorities' attention was attracted after Prof Hauser and an Austrian colleague, Walter Droscher, wrote a paper called "Guidelines for a space propulsion device based on Heim's quantum theory".

Heim's quantum theory? Shmeim's quantum theory. I never heard of him.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
brianc

Post by brianc »

Congratulations wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Sh*t! We're clean out of dilithium crystals!
What about the Pew-32 Space Modulator?
I put a weinie In The warp drive, capt'n , but it dinna do any good! [
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I have 2 problems with this.

1. Magnetism and gravity are very different beasties, If a way had been discovered to convert one to the other, I would have expected such a momentous discovery to be on page 2.

2. "Another dimension": what is this? We live in 3 dimensions perfectly (length/width/depth) and imperfectly in the time dimension. Does another dimension mean that we sprout a 5th? or that time gets perfected? or that one gets swapped for a new one? or that the whole 3.5 set gets replaced? And since when did dimensions determine universes (some math guys seem to think our current universe has 11 of 'em).

3. (I know I said 2, but hey - we're in another dimension here. so 2=3) If the constant C was different on a vector into dimension x - how would we find the modC dimension or know we got one? Also, how would travel in modC have the remotest effect on our position in normal space? - a diagonal perhapse? But wouldn't that compromise modC?

4. How is a gravitational device going to be a propulsion device? Hey, I know - we create a gravitational well and just keep falling into it (donkey and carrot model) but I think the curvature effect would cancel out any motion, plus we'd have to rip-up the conservation of energy in systems theory. Perhapse we just pop into another dimension where a common lawnmower engine can easily achieve ultra light velocity.

Or is it that journalists have long since moved into the "other dimension" where all sensation is extracted for regurgitation and anything remotely like observable truth or logic(even the lite variety) is blown into the void.

I think #5 has it.

rofl
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Engage!

djm
Call me a nerd, but no sh*t, this is how Warp Drive works.
article wrote:The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.
Warp drive uses a similar process to project a gravitational field, called a warp field, around the craft. It's a matter/anti-matter field that "displaces" normal space and the craft "slips" from one destination to the other.
Another good example of this type of drive in fiction is the use of Spice in Herbert's Dune and the film Event Horizon, where we see the dangers of opening holes to other dimentions without knowing what's on the other side.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the possibility of something of this nature being developed in the future. I'd like to see them perfect the ion drive as well.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Tyler Morris wrote:
djm wrote:Engage!

djm
Call me a nerd, but no sh*t, this is how Warp Drive works.
article wrote:The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.
Warp drive uses a similar process to project a gravitational field, called a warp field, around the craft. It's a matter/anti-matter field that "displaces" normal space and the craft "slips" from one destination to the other.
Another good example of this type of drive in fiction is the use of Spice in Herbert's Dune and the film Event Horizon, where we see the dangers of opening holes to other dimentions without knowing what's on the other side.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the possibility of something of this nature being developed in the future. I'd like to see them perfect the ion drive as well.
Ah I see. So, if the field is warped when yu drive (I'm assuming the fairway), then no matter witch craft, the field might or might not matter, but without seasoning, it's best not to make demented holes or you might slip from dis place to another. In fact the correct method is shown in the illustration above where the good captain explains that the photon propulsion effect produced by having such a shiny bonce would result in movement in the direction indicated.

Simple!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
djm

Post by djm »

Many ideas in Star Trek were lifted from the far edges of theoretical physics. Several books on the parallels have been written. However, this forum is hardly the place to argue physics used as story vehicles in science fiction.

When we first came to this planet you had not even begun to dream of these possibilities. Even if the initial theories are proved to be nonsense, the test results will encourage new questions, new avenues to explore. I, for one, will be happy to see Earthlings finally develop warp capabilities so that I can get back. I can't imagine what my costs will be when I return to my home world. I was double parked at the space port ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:When we first came to this planet you had not even begun to dream of these possibilities.
Now I know where I've seen you before! You're Jim Morrison arent you!? I knew you were still around! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

This sort of drive does not necessarily go against the law of the conservation of momentum. As you rush through the other dimensions, the rest of or part of the Cosmos could move a bit in the other direction as your reaction mass. The rule that would be broken is the apparent law that mass-energy or information cannot travel faster than light. Getting someplace faster than the speed of light might be thought of as a breaking of the rules of normal continuity, as you get there before you were supposed to, so it might be thought of as a form of time travel, allowing for time travel using a variation on that technology.

(As a time traveler, I find it ironic this article was in the Scotsman, as Scots will be instrumental in humanity’s building and operating faster than light ships.)

Hopefully, the crystal People don’t find out humanity may have figured out the secret of interstellar travel, because ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////INTERUPT
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

brewerpaul wrote:We're clean out of dilithium crystals!
Are delirium crystals even legal, south of the Great Lakes?
Reasonable person
Walden