My first irish flute - suggestions please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Silvio Zapparoli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My first irish flute - suggestions please

Post by Silvio Zapparoli »

Hi to all!
I have buy an irish flute. I like to have from you some suggestion around this flute.
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting
Silvio Zapparoli

Uhmmm.... no suggestion for a poor beginner? :cry:
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I would say this flute is probably not a good one. It would be better to purchase a flute that was made by a well known flute maker. If you can tell us about how much money you can afford, then I think you will get many suggestions.

Loren
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

if you don't know who made it, then it's propbalbly Pakistani.. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=34685

i play a Copley&Boegli for half a year now and i think i'll never need another flute...
Dave sells his flutes through a European link http://www.crehans.ie/Flutes/FlutesMain.aspx
they're not advertised on the web site, you'll have to send them an e-mail about Copley flutes. they sell for 480$ without tuning slide http://www.celticlands.com/FluteAvailability.html
and i think it's around 750 euros with tuning slide http://www.celticlands.com/PriceList.html
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

hi silvio!
you came to late, because every year in italy( around halloween), san benedetto in alpe is annual irish weekend with lot of flute players and flutes of course( this year there was murray, aebi, hamilton, seery,hernon,olwell, lehart, rudall and rose flutes)
i posses seery delrin flute and lehart 5 keyed wooden flute, both are excellent flute.for beginner are good choice delrin flutes because they are very easy to maintain.so that will be seery ,or M&E flutes( rudall and rose model, very easy to get good sound) or dough tipple plastic cilindrical flute ( i posses his B flat flute, and like it a lot, until i be enough money to buy wooden lehart b flat flute).see doug tipple web page.lehart keyless cost around 540 euros.
marin
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It's hard to tell much without knowing who made the flute. Since it
is relatively cheap, it is probably a Pakistani flute. If you look at the
Sticky thread at the top of the Flute Forum, people have said not to
buy cheap Pakistani flutes from eBay, because they are usually
unplayable.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: My first irish flute - suggestions please

Post by MarcusR »

Silvio Zapparoli wrote:Hi to all!
I have buy an irish flute. I like to have from you some suggestion around this flute.
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting
Hi!

Looks like the (GR2121) Pakistani flute sold by Hobgoblin music.

This flute has been discontinued and Hobgoblin have been trying to sell them out for quite some time, still no buyers I guess (should give you a hint).
You can check the Hobgoblin flute page for more information.

Even though I never seen one of these for real I would avoid it, there are far better options for not much more.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Hi Silvio...I'd love helping you but no hints about that flute. Doesn't look good to me. :-?

In Galway you can contact an Italian guy who makes keyless flutes in a Murray similar style. His name's Vincenzo Di Mauro. Never tried one but a reliable flute player told that his flutes are ok and prices as well. around 450€ keyless african blackwood rudall D. Just have a go, can have valuable information in Italian.

vdmflutes@libero.it
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Silvio Zapparoli

Uhmmm... I had a mistake... Ok... it's a same... but probably it's better these flute that the my old Dixon PVC (unplayble!!!!). Four years ago I spend for this Dixon, in Dublin, more or less 40 Euros!

I'm stupid man? Oh yesss!

In Italy we say: is' it possible to learn from ours mistake!

Thanks for your grat suggestions!
scheky

Post by scheky »

I know that Tipple's flutes are widely liked as a beginner flute (or simply a low maintenance one). Don't let the PVC word turn you off.

I'm learning on an original M&E Delrin flute. I can't stress enough how happy with the choice of Delrin I am. It's hard enough to learn the flute; adding to your worries all the problems of care for a wooden instrument? EEP.

I've heard my flute played by good players and I know if there are any sound problems...it's me. I'll never feel the need to upgrade from this one.
Silvio Zapparoli

maracirac wrote:hi silvio!
you came to late, because every year in italy( around halloween), san benedetto in alpe is annual irish weekend with lot of flute players and flutes of course( this year there was murray, aebi, hamilton, seery,hernon,olwell, lehart, rudall and rose flutes)...
Dear friend, I know San Benedetto in Alpe very well. I stay in San Benedetto in 2004 and 2005! Lovely days!!!
I remember a group from Croatia!
Do you remember Ray, Mary Rafferty, Martin, Rosy? Good friends!!!
For you a photo from San Benedetto 2005.

Image[/img]
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i'm just learning how to play the flute too. i learned how to play the harmonica 2 years ago, the pennywhistle last year, and here i am learning the irish flute. i've been learning to play for a couple of months. here's my two cents. make a pvc flute, it's practically free. the drill press does help. i am not a craftsman at all but i made one in a couple of hours that is in perfect tune. filing down the embrouchure hole took a lot of time since i had nothing to go by. i had never even seen an irish flute in person. earlier, i had tried to make a flute with a hand drill and blew the holes out. right before making my own flute, i bought a hall crystal flute. they're different that's for sure. i keep the hall flute in my house. i travel a lot and keep the pvc flute in my car. now i really look forward to traffic jams. i am hoping by lent to be able to play the crystal flute in church.

learning embrouchure sure took awhile. i practiced during commercials cause i couldn't keep that kind of breathing up for long.

i have no personal experience with traditional irish instruments other than the internet, these forums, and we had a guest musician at our church folks group who played the pennywhistle that started all of this for me. i play church, folk, pop, jazz, torch songs, children's music, and classical on these istruments. the closest i come to traditional irish music is playing the theme to Popeye. what a surprise to be playing the sailor's hornpipe for the first time and recognize the tune.

keep it up, it's worth it. i play a few other instruments and this flute is the best thing for me.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Well, like you I am just beginning. I have a Glenn Schultz in Rosewood and a Tipple. I've been playing whistle up until a month or so ago.

I had just the Schultz for a little while. With the cork joints and the need for swabbing excess moisture, I couldn't just leave it laying around assembled - ready for practice at any time.

So I ordered a fully loaded Tipple. That's basically:
1. A Three-piece, tunable six-hole low D flute;
2. with a "Speckled-Bore";
3. the Optional Lip Plate; and
4. the Tipple-Fajardo Wedge.
http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

The quality and craftsmanship are first rate. The sound is super, especially considering it's PVC. Best of all, I can leave it laying around assembled, and pick it up and practice a couple minutes several times throughout the day any time I want to. No swabbing, no cork joints to worry about.

I tried a few recommended ways to get the wedge to stick in the speckled-bore, so far unsuccessfully. But I've got to develop my embouchure right now more than worry about the wedge. I'll deal with that when I can get a full scale from the flute.

From one beginner to another - for less than US$100 the Tipple is perfect.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I love your english Silvio!
Silvio Zapparoli

amar wrote:I love your english Silvio!
Why you love my english? My english it's so bad!!!!