Bainbridge's Observations

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bainbridge's Observations

Post by Terry McGee »

I thought I had mounted Bainbridge's "Observations on the Cause of Imperfections in Wind Instruments particularly in German Flutes" before, but could find no trace of it. So it's up now. You can read it while you wait for your copy of Robert Bigio's new book to arrive!

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Bainbridge.htm

"German flutes" meaning of course the flute, as opposed to the English flute or recorder.

Terry
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Bainbridge's Observations

Post by Jon C. »

Terry McGee wrote:I thought I had mounted Bainbridge's "Observations on the Cause of Imperfections in Wind Instruments particularly in German Flutes" before, but could find no trace of it. So it's up now. You can read it while you wait for your copy of Robert Bigio's new book to arrive!

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Bainbridge.htm

"German flutes" meaning of course the flute, as opposed to the English flute or recorder.

Terry
Thanks Terry, as I look over at the pile of German flutes and shake my head and sigh... My book will ship out tomorrow... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
le_koukou

Post by le_koukou »

Thanks Terry, this is great reading.

Interesting to see that Bainbridge was in the opinion that the kind of wood does not matter much. According to him the embouchure cut is much more important and must fit the player (and not the other way around). I wish I could try several embouchures with various shapes and sizes. That would be ideal.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Interestingly he refers to the amateur flute player as the Amateur with a capital A whereas he does not show similar honour to the professional.

I think this can be explained by the fact that amateur's etymology is traced to a word meaning lover. The unpaid lover is worthy of our romantic honour whereas the paid one not so.

Seriously, I am glad he does not decry the round embouchure. I believe the round embouchure allows greater freedom (variety) in how one holds the flute without it affecting the attack. (Some of us do dance in performance somewhat). Any comments?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

talasiga wrote: (Some of us do dance in performance somewhat). Any comments?
On one leg?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jumbuk wrote:
talasiga wrote: (Some of us do dance in performance somewhat). Any comments?
On one leg?
traditional pose for Ode to a Stork (the one legged raga) :lol:
Flauta dolce

Post by Flauta dolce »

I believe the round embouchure allows greater freedom (variety) in how one holds the flute without it affecting the attack.
This is interesting, could you explain what you mean by "attack"? Thank you.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

talasiga wrote:Seriously, I am glad he does not decry the round embouchure. I believe the round embouchure allows greater freedom (variety) in how one holds the flute without it affecting the attack. (Some of us do dance in performance somewhat). Any comments?
Yes, quite. The caveat being that the edge angles of the round embouchure are the most difficult to optimize (least edge distance at each angle) of the three. I suspect that the ( "typical" ?) round embouchure would be expected to have one or two "sweet spots" which could be quite critical and a well made one playable as Tal describes (and yes, I have tried playing them while dancing)
:D
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

What's wrong with dancing while playing?

(... rama, note I said "with dancing", not "with my dancing" ;-))
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cathy Wilde wrote:What's wrong with dancing while playing?

Rien.
I tend to when playing especially under pressure, in performance situations, mostly unconsciously. People say, " I also loved the way you moved - are you a dancer?" But all I was doing was keeping time with my body.

I speculate that one can move around more carefree with a round embouchure whereas with the others one needs a more consistent angle of approach. I always need to be careful when playing my Seery (elliptical embouchure tweaked by McGee) to keep my head planted pretty much. Bansuris and Tipples seem less fussy. You can see many professional bansuri players like Hariprasad Chaurasia - how much they can be changing the angle to the embouchure - how much play there is in the way the neck and head approach the flute at any given moment.

I believe one reason that even larger than Irish flute bansuris don't result in so much neck and shoulder pain is the less rigidity demanded by the more or less round embouchure.

I don't know if my reasoning is correct but I do know what I have experienced. I am interested in serious comments on this if it is appropriate to this topic. I am interested to know whether a flute maker such as Terry may understand what I am saying.

Thank you for your understanding Jack.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Sillydill

TWO HEADS ARE BETTER!!!

Post by Sillydill »

Thanks Terry, informative read!

I agree with Bainbridge, Two Heads are Better!!! :D

Flutes are like people, without a good head on them they are fairly useless!

My all wood Copley head fits just right on my Old Dead German! It is a vast improvement over the original head and doesn't taste like nickel! :P