Another new CD, Shady Woods

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Another new CD, Shady Woods

Post by tompipes »

Just can't keep it a secret any more.

Here's the tunes.
Album information for "Shady Woods"

1. The Dublin Lads/The Flags of Dublin/The Four Knocks (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

2. The First Slip/Hardy Man the Fiddler/The Yellow Wattle Slip Jigs. (Uilleann pipes - Tommy Martin, Patsy O'Brien - Guitar and Kevin Buckley - Fiddle)

3. The Cloone Hornpipe (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

4. Molly from Longford/The Wise Maid (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin, Bernie McDonald - Guitar and Eileen Gannon - Harp)

5. The Shady Woods of Truagh/Jack Wade’s Reel Slow Air/ Reel (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

6. Wallop The Spot/The Leg of the Duck/Temple Hill Jigs (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

7. The Maple Leaf/The Man of Aran Reels (Low Whistle - Tommy Martin, with Bernie McDonald - Guitar and Eileen Gannon - Harp)

8. Richard Dwyers/Late in the Night/Jack in the Box/Seamus Thompson’s Reel Reels (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

9. Humors of Ballykeal/Sgt. Earlys Jig/The Shady Woods of Old Limerick Jigs (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin and Patsy O'Brien on Guitar)

10. Terry Heigh Ho the Grinder/The Rakes of Drumlish Slip Jigs (Tommy Martin - Flute, Bernie McDonald - Guitar and Eileen Gannon - Harp)

11. Eleanor Kane’s/The Gooseberry Bush/The Spinners Delight Reels (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin and Kevin Buckley - Fiddle)

12. The Fox Chase (Uilleann Pipes - Tommy Martin)

13. Green Grow the Rushes O/The Jolly Banger Barndances
(I play pipes, flute, fiddles and banjo, Kevin Buckley drove the drums

And here's who else is on it.

Bernie McDonald - Guitar
Bernie had been singing Irish and American folk songs for years until he was asked to take Daithi Sproule’s place in Bowhand, a group that also had James Kelly and Paddy O’Brien. Since then Bernie has been in demand to accompany tunes in mid-western America and has done with the likes of Martin Hayes, Mick O’Brien, Paddy O’Brien and loads more.

Eileen Gannon - Harp
In 2000, Eileen won the All-Ireland Senior Harp competition at the Fleadh. She was only the third American to win this title.
Eileen is now, and was, in demand to back a tune while studying for her degree in Ethnomusicology from the University of Limerick. Eileen was a member of the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra and has performed with the University City Symphony Orchestra but nowadays finds herself busy teaching Harp and playing with pipers, fiddlers and such.

Kevin Buckley - Fiddle
Kevin is a great fiddle player in the Irish tradition. There is no shortage of great fiddle players in Ireland and Kevin Buckley can certainly hold his own with the best of the Irish players. This is certainly helped by the fine tunes and tips he learned from fiddle players like James Kelly, Martin Hayes and Andy McGann as they all spent some time in St. Louis.

Patsy O’Brien - Guitar
Providing accompaniment to Irish tunes is one of many feathers in Patsy’s hat. His career started as a bass player in “Mulcahy Magic”, a Mitchelstown based showband. Then on to a punk band called ‘Snatch’. These days he can be found performing his own finely written songs and when not doing that you’ll see him with Paddy Keenan or Eileen Ivers or even me.

You'll find out more at www.tompipes.com

Happy New Year to you all.
Tommy
John O'Gara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John O'Gara »

Congratulations on the new CD. Looks like a great lineup of tunes and I can't wait to hear it!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Not to be confused with "Shady Woods" by flute-player Desi Wilkinson.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Congratulations Tommy. I am excited and happy for you. I will be purchasing one of these shortly.
Hopkins

Post by Hopkins »

Tommy's latest is a great CD folks. I spun it many times in the car on my weekend trip to Nashville, TN. So many times that my wife would occasionally look up from her book and comment on a tune...
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Thanks for the kind words all.
Tommy
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Congratulations Tommy, can't wait to hear it.

Patrick.
djm

Post by djm »

Just received my copy of Shady Woods in the mail. A very nice selection of tunes, and nicely played. I always get nervous when I see there are guitars in the mix, but these are fairly unobtrusive so no worries. Best of all, lots of regs, and some pretty nice tricks on them, to boot.

I think this is a CD well worth adding to your collection if you haven't already done so.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

djm wrote:I always get nervous when I see there are guitars in the mix,
Purist!!! :poke: :D Throw 'im in the river. If he floats, burn him. :D
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
No E

Post by No E »

Congrats, Tommy!

I have "Shady Woods" spinning in the old CD player even as I type this--very nice playing indeed. The liner notes are both amusing and informative (I'd expect no less, given the source).

Two thumbs up.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

ausdag wrote:
djm wrote:I always get nervous when I see there are guitars in the mix,
Purist!!! :poke: :D Throw 'im in the river. If he floats, burn him. :D
:lol: I'm with djm. It isn't so much a matter of purism--is that a word?---but I just plain cannot hear the darn melody sometimes when there is this horrible loud whanging going on. Okay, I have to say I see no need for back up at all, but I'm willing to live and let live if it isn't too loud. I guess.

And to get back on topic, I will look forward to hearing this CD as well. I have my credit card right here and will order it right now!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Thanks again for the kind words.
Best of all, lots of regs, and some pretty nice tricks on them, to boot.
There will be an extra emphasis on regulator work at the upcoming tionol in St. Louis (www.tionol.org) No point in not taking a closer look at the regulators when Ronon Browne's in town too.

Cheers,
Tommy
djm

Post by djm »

Ronan Browne .... regs ... droooooolll .....

(BTW why was the cheque in kroner?) :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Best of luck with the new record, T.

All the besht,

H.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Hi Tom,

I was browsing through cd baby & it says that Peter Browne plays on your first recording. Would that be the piper or the box player? Just curious,

J.