the Dreaded...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

the Dreaded...

Post by dubhlinn »

....New year resolutions.

A filthy, much regretted habit but very traditional.

My own, to get the ball rolling, are

1. Ciggies - I nearly said fags - but you know what I mean.

2. Whistles - walk the walk not talk the talk.

3. get close to an iceberg..Ultima Thule

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

My New Year's Resolutions:

1. Study more for my upcoming math class than I did for the one last semester (my lowest grade, heavy sigh).

2. Actually finish Ulysses (I've tried twice, now, and something always gets in the way).

3. Not wait until I have no clothes at all before I do my laundry.

I'm sure there should be more.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

only 2 for me:
1) less chocolate
2) more sports
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

For me it's:

1. Get this whistle thing under control
2. Spend less time on the internet and more practicing etc
3. Move house

Happy New Year to everyone here in C&F!!!! May you all prosper in 2006 :party: :party: :party: :D
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

For me it's simple:

1). Make no New Years resolutions.... I never keep them anyways. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm with JES.

Dub--you're going to take up smoking? :wink:

I am seeking a fiddle teacher, but would be in the market resolution or not.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To greet the new year, I need no such token,
For previous resolutions have all wound up broken.

--James
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I resolved to quit smoking once and did, if fact, quit. I relapsed briefly into pipe smoking but I haven't had a cigarette since the original resolution. Because this was such an astounding success, I decided to quit making resolutions while I was ahead.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Here are goals for the New Year, not necessarily resolutions. Goals can be kept, even if not fulfilled, while resolution may be broken.

1. I would like to loose 10 pounds. It would be nice to wear my belt once again, rather than having to wear suspenders, which, while comfortable, make me look and feel like an old man.

2. As a retired person, I need to get out of my house and workshop and get more involved in the community. I am thinking about different ways that I might do volunteer work.

3. Plan a trip to Ireland and Scotland.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I always start with the phrase or utterings "I resolve..." then my mind goes blank, my mouth is hanging open, I take a swig of Guinness, then take another longer swig, and that is the farthest I've ever gotten to making new year resolutions. I learned long time ago, that if you want to make God laugh, make plans.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Resolutions suck. They are a recipe for failure. I would much rather just list all the things I want to do, maybe with a loose priority ranking, and then just cross them off as I complete them.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Equally important, how did you do on your resolutions for 2005? Look at this thread if you can't remember them:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=24804

I actually did take a couple of lessons with Chris Norman. I learned most of the cuts from "The Branch Line." I learned more reels but still don't like the form. I consider myself worthy of some of my flutes, but not all. I can't play at all like Chris, Jack Coen, or Deirdre Havlin. I suspect I'll die trying, too, but I like to set my goals high.

This year, I dunno. Just enjoy life and music as much as I have the last year.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

BillChin wrote: ... Some of my musical goals: I am going to learn to play faster on the whistle, sing more in tune, continue writing songs, especially more dance tunes. I would love to learn how to use the whistle as a harmony instrument (think jazz). ...

+ Bill
I did so-so on my music goals. I play a touch faster. I sing better. I wrote a bunch of songs, though most were mediocre or topicals only good for a week. I did write one or three songs that I am pleased with. Zero progress on whistles as harmony. It might help if I start playing more with other musicians. Hard to do harmony solo :). The unexpected turn was buying a Tipple flute in April and a Casey Burns flute in September. The flute makes me more humble. The upstair neighbor hates on it.

Life stuff, the exercise, I did good on. Not so good on the eating side, so I start the new year a very few pounds heavier than I did last. A lot of people that know me distress over my career situation. The worst are those that hand-wring and give unsolicited [useless] advice. They also tend to be people who are poor examples in the career department. The less I worry about it, the better it works out.

For 2006, it looks like a blank sheet of paper. As a creative type, that is enticing, inviting.

The last few days I have been getting rid of a lot of stuff. Mostly stuff that I just saved thinking I would want it or use it but never did. After a couple of days of this, I still feel like I have a ton of stuff. Even though I travel lighter than most people. Letting go is a powerful thing to do. The new year is a good time for that. Cheers.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks for the link Chas. It reminded me that I'm at least slightly less screwed up this year than last! :lol:
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

More on letting go. In 2005, I let go of quite a few people in my life. Perhaps friends, perhaps acquaintances. Used to be that I would make a major effort to maintain a friendship. No more. It is simiilar to hanging on to possessions that I no longer use and have no sentimental value. These friends can drift in and out of my life, and I will attach no danger to that. I am blessed with many friends. I no longer see the need to go the extra mile.

Certain people bring with them certain emotions and activities that are not healthy for me. I can limit my time with them. If they are not particularly close friends (or family) I can let go of them entirely.

So back to that clean sheet of paper. Part of me is a perfectionist, wanting to get it just right. This part tells me to write softly in pencil and keep that eraser handy. Mistakes are average and I will learn more by making mistakes than by writing in thin pencil and barely leaving a mark on that sheet of paper.