Skip Healy flute impressions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
artsohio
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Skip Healy flute impressions

Post by artsohio »

Noted. Sorry about that.
Last edited by artsohio on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Is this that keyed Healy on Patrick's website? That was one sharp looking flute.

If you really do have an allergy, don't forget that you can always paint around the embouchure with crazy glue and not have any problems.

Congratulations on your new flute!

Eric
artsohio

Post by artsohio »

Yes, that's the one. I'm still in my 1-week trial return period, so I guess it's still technically for sale thus still on the site.

Actually, I know I'm allergic to something in crazy glue as I always get blisters when I use it. I even get blisters in my nose when I'm too close to someone using it, so that's not an option. Thankfully, I don't think I am allergic to Blackwood. Heck, for all I know I always look a little swollen after playing and just happened to get a glimpse of myself in the mirror this time.
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My tried and true method is to paste a strip of
clear packing tape under the embouchure hole,
so that it just creases it. Makes an invisible
and effective lip plate. Send me ten dollars if
you do it, as I have patented this idea.
eedbjp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Your review makes all of us Rhode Islanders proud.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Hello Artsohio,
Yes, it has been a year since I last remember your posts on this board. At the time you were anxiously awaiting a Sweetheart fife, which your husband was giving you for Christmas, as well as a new member to your family. I hope that all is well with you and your family. Welcome back.

With regard to the possibility of a blackwood allergy with your new flute, I would take that prospect somewhat seriously, before you decide to make the final purchase. If your lip puffs up like you mentioned, that is not a good sign. I recently received an email from a well-know flutemaker who posts on this forum. He mentioned that he never turns blackwood in the summer months when it is hot and damp because of his developing allergy to blackwood.

In addition to a contact allergy from where your lip touches the flute at the embouchure, I found that I am sensitive to the smell of the blackwood, which is hard to avoid when you hold the flute so closely to your mouth and nose. When I took a deep breath while playing the flute, I would start coughing.

Best wishes and Happy New Year
artsohio

Post by artsohio »

Doug;

Of course I remember you, too! I keep one of your flutes in my car and play it quite a bit, especially when I pick my oldest up from school. The youngest loves hearing it, unlike the fife. The fife makes him cry.

Here's a picture of the new family member being held by my 6-year-old. "Piggly Wiggly" is as sweet as he is chubby.

But back to flutes... I would be more concerned about a blackwood allergy if it happened again. I've played several times since that incident without the bad swelling. In hindsight, then I had just discovered the ease of the third octave and was really playing hard up there. I think I literally blew my lip out. I am definitely going to keep aware of it, though. I don't want to be miserable everytime I play. I would be very disappointed if that were the case, though.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello ArtsOhio, welcome back!

Well, it sure sounds like you've met your flute-mate with the Healy. People can go through many flutes and not find something that is that compatible with them, as it seems you have.

As long as you have no allergy to the wood, and it's got the keys you want, and you like it that much, then I'd say you were lucky to find it.

Hope it works out for you, and it keeps you happy for a long time!
~~~~
Barry
chas

Post by chas »

Oh, I miss the toothless grin! What a cute couple of young'uns.

Welcome back. I also remember your posts of yore, and look forward to hearing from you more.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too.
artsohio

Post by artsohio »

Jim; If I use the tape, the check will be in the mail pronto. Yep. Be sure and keep a look out for it. It'll be there any day. Yep.

:)

-Janet
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Janet....if you use the tape trick try to use somthing w/ a solid silicone adhesive (like the kapton tape used for circuit board mask)....makes a big difference when it comes time to take the tape off !

If you can't find any give a holler......I'll send you some....

Jack
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "