Barkeep?A glass of Pinot,&some allegorical advice please

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

TomB wrote:[quote="kkrell

Is that Transcendental Medication (tm)?

Kevin Krell

Which reminds me of the time when the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi went to a dentist to have 3 teeth pulled, but he refused any novacaine. It seems he wanted to Transcend Dental Medication.

Tom[/quote]

Ouch....
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TomB wrote:

Which reminds me of the time when the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi went to a dentist to have 3 teeth pulled, but he refused any novacaine. It seems he wanted to Transcend Dental Medication.

Tom
Hararararararhar! :lol:

I play Poker.
I play straight and I never cheat and I almost never bluff.... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

So what time is it when you go to the dentist?? Tooth-hurty

-bada-bing-bada-boom
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fel bautista wrote:So what time is it when you go to the dentist?? Tooth-hurty

-bada-bing-bada-boom
Yeah, that joke makes my tooth-hurty :P

oh, boy, I'm going to make you a crown of Spam! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:You guys are phenomenal.
I was so...like, um...not sure I should even post about this, but your responses have made it worthwhile.
I'm taking the whole game set to Johns Hopkins School of Damaged Cardboard Analysis in January, where they may be able to give me some new insights into Chutes and Ladders, and possibly even patch up the board a bit.
Maybe even get the old Parchesi up and going!

Good luck.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Montana »

I think we need to delve deeper for meaning here. Let us look at some definitions:

"Parcheesi is an American version of the Ancient game of Pachisi, the national game of India, in which you race around a track on the game board, attempting to block your opponents while moving your markers to the goal. The game is also known as Pachisi, Parchisi, Parchesi, and Twenty-Five, and is a descendent of the older game of Chaupar."
"CHUTES AND LADDERS is the game of rewards and consequences. As kids travel along the game path, they encounter situations that reward them for good deeds by letting them climb the ladders or punish them for misbehaving by sending them down chutes. All the while, they are learning to recognize numbers and count to 100."

Truly, emm's board (soon bound for the JHSDCA) is a lesson in life. In having the Parcheesi game peel away to Chutes and Ladders, this is representative of everyone's desire for a return to the innocence and security of childhood. However, once we are adults, that return can never be complete. Thus the Parcheesi game clings to the board revealing only part of the C&L game. In addition, the children on the C&L board aren't as bright and shiny, nor are they smiling since we understand as adults that their joy is based upon simplicity which we no longer possess. The two games are like the two (or more) stages of life. Just as we would never get rid of our childhood, many adults would not want to go back and go through it all again, given the chance. Both exist within us just as both exist on the board.
It is also interesting that both games are chase games. It is as if we are chasing things throughout our entire lives. In Parcheesi, the worst that happens is either you are knocked back by your opponent or you remain stagnant. In a way, C&L is more adult than Parcheesi since not only can you be thwarted by your opponent but you can cause your own downfall (get sent back down the chute). It seems these two games could easily be combined. Maybe the board is telling you to embrace the two sides of yourself.
And I hope you all realize that all of that was total bunk. :wink:
By the way, that wash shum great Peeno Nwar...
emmline

Post by emmline »

Montana wrote:By the way, that wash shum great Peeno Nwar...
Glad you enjoyed it. :)
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I used to sit and stare introspectively at my navel until I realized that the deepest thought that came to mind was, “How the heck does that lint get in there?”

Of course this would probably never occur to those with "outies."

-
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Having had an old worn out game board around my house for many years I must say, sounds like you're almost to the good part -

Keep playing the chutes and ladders. It's a really tough game and is certainly not child's play. We did and eventually it wears through to reveal a bright shiny new board, even better than the original top layer. The best thing is though, that you have had years of playing with this opponent, a history of manuvers and strategy that can never be topped by a brand new game board and opponent. It's hard to get through that middle game board, believe me, I know.
The secret is to hang in there until you wear the board down to that underlying third board. It's the best game of all.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West