GFM west USA tour report

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MacNeil
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

GFM west USA tour report

Post by MacNeil »

Sometime tomorrow, I'll be making the journey to the post office and dispatching the GFM whistle to the next recipient. I shall do so with some reluctance, for the GFM brings to mid-range whistles more than a taste of the high-end.

If I were to describe the tonal quality of the GFM, it would be "flute-like." By this, I don't mean some imaginary and impossibly "pure" tone, the way many people use the term. I'm talking about the actual sound of the instrument. For example, if you've ever been at a symphony concert, think of the sounds of the orchestra tuning up. You can generally make out, above all the rest, the unmistakable sounds of a flute player doing figures and scales. That is very much what the GFM sounds like.

Previously, on this board, I have been critical of instruments that had too "pure" a tone. It always seemed to me that they sounded like r*******s being played without articulating each note. Not a bad sound...if you're playing a r******r. But not really whistle-like.

The GFM definitely does <i>not</i> fall into that category. Although the tone is very clean, there's no doubt that you're playing a metal instrument. There's a certain structure of the overtones that says "metal," not "wood" or "plastic." And there's a subtle chiff to each note, a breathiness before the full tone kicks in. By the same token, though, there is a purity (or, as I put it, a cleanness) to the sound. Compared with the GFM, all of my admittedly lower-priced instruments (including my beloved Mellow Dog) have a roughness, a tonal fuzziness, that seems to come from the delrin fipple, lending a plastic-y quality that makes the instrument sound cheaper and less-refined.

The GFM is a heavier, wider instrument than I'm used to, but it balances well after a few minutes of adjustment. In terms of playability, it is very quick and responsive at ornamentation, at least for someone of my less-than-stellar playing ability.

Now, for my complaints: as others have noted, the bell-note is rather weak. I also found the next note (E) to be somewhat problematic. The GFM is not a whistle that requires a great deal of air; as a matter of fact, it is easy to overblow it. This adds to the problems on the bottom -- too much pressure, and you'll get a break into the upper octave; too little, and you'll get some sort of out-of-tune "blat," or nothing at all.

By contrast, the high G is somewhat overbearing; given the same amount of air, the jump in volume from F# to G is quite noticable and requires some careful breath control to save your listeners from ear-bleed.

But these are minor issues compared with the far-more-serious flaws afflicting many of the whistles that will make up the GFM's main competition. As I've said earlier, many of the sub-$100 instruments, possibly in a bid to avoid the roughness of truly cheap whistles, manage to sound so characterless that they become, to me, quite boring. The GFM does not fall into that trap, but blends musicality and character in a very appealing package.

As a final example, I often ask my wife, as she is passing by, what she thinks about a given whistle. By now, she has gotten to the point of stopping these questions by saying that she can never tell the difference between one whistle and another, and that they all sound equally nice to her. So it was, again, the first time I asked about the GFM. But, a few minutes later, as I was still playing, she came back again to listen, and then to try the GFM out for herself, noting that this one sounded <i>really</i> nice. (Of course, she is a long-time r******r player, so some here might be tempted to dismiss her opinion out of hand.)

My only other compaint is one voiced by a previous poster: the finish on this instrument is far from professional, with a mottled surface texture, a number of shallow scratches, and even visible part numbers on the tubing used for the slide. From previous replies, I understand that this was a necessary evil caused by needing to get the review whistles out in a hurry. This is good news, since it means that the GFM whistle I'll be ordering for myself should be even better. ;-)
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
Oreo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Oreo »

I'm not on the whistle tour, but I became interested in the Granite Falls instruments because of Wanderer's review of an earlier instrument. In the meantime I noticed the GFM European whistle tour posts, which showed some range of opinions. I got my D soprano whistle last week, so I thought I would write a few of lines.

Before I ordered, I wrote to Chuck Tilbury with some questions. He refered me to a terrific little review video done by Phil Hardy at http://kerrywhistles.com/movies/Garnite ... igh_Da.wmv. In the video, Phil said several times that this is a quiet and sweet whistle. But I didn't really understand what he meant when he said, “This whistle is very easy to underblow, and easy to overblow, so you really need to get some control of your breath.” And near the end, he said this is “not a whistle you can really push.”

What I didn't realize for a few days was that I was unintentionally pushing the GFM whistle. There is very little backpressure, so there isn't much pressure returning to you to help you guage whether you are blowing too hard. But the tone in the lower range, especially from b down to g, was kind of ugly, I thought. But it doesn't need to be ugly!

I suggest tuning your playing by first playing high g and a with an electric tuner, and playing them so that they are just loud enough to sound securely. You'll probably find the tuning slide is out about an eighth of an inch. Then skip down and octave and watch the tuner. You will notice that you have to slow the stream of air much more than on most other whistles. And the low e and d are then extremely soft. But they are also very sweet, with attractive breathiness. The middle b is my clue when I am blowing too hard. It most quickly turns harsh.

My whistle isn't uneven in volume at all in the upper register, like the post above said. And the appearance was perfect when I received it.

When I first got the whistle, I asked Chuck about returning it. I didn't like the lack of backpressure. He wrote back giving permission to return it, but I quickly changed my mind when my daughter (who is my best critic) liked the tone over my other whistles. I decided I would rise to the challenge and learn to play “this thing.”

Just today Chuck wrote that he is trying an experiment, and he offered to send me a NEW MODEL he is testing with more backpressure. He warns that “some sweetness will be lost” and the tone will be a bit more “edgy.” I jumped at the chance. He said it would come in about two weeks. When it does, I will add a post about it.

Oreo Phil
Montana

Post by Montana »

Just to let folks on the West Tour know...
Firepiper mailed the GFM Whistle to me and I just received it today at work. Went out in the garage to play it - couldn't wait until I got home.
Review to follow.
Swizzlestick, you can start your 3 week countdown... :)
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Marking my calendar now!
:)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It would be great if it was at our Feb. 11 West Coast C&F party in San Jose....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Montana

Post by Montana »

The West Tour whistle is moving on to Swizzlegrit.

My comments (some of which have already been mentioned but maybe the things that get the most consensus should be the focus areas):
The positive first: 8)
For the money, I think this is a nice whistle. For all those newbies out there, you can get a Clarke or Gen for less but this is a nice alternative without having to take the next price jump.
I like the weight (not that it's really heavy but it's heavier than a Gen. But we're talking grams here, folks). You don't have to worry about it bending if someone sits on it. It's not going to jump out of your hands if you don't have your anchor points down exactly. I also like the shape of the mouthpiece - not really different from some other whistles but Chuck could have decided on something different.
The notes are in tune with themselves (none pop out as being off when you run up the scale) and this includes the X00XXX C natural. I don't know why but having a good two finger C natural is one of those important things for me. The notes are responsive for ornamentation, particularly in the middle range.
The tone is clear with just a little chiff.

The negatives (and some of these aren't really that important or negative):
The bell tone is too quiet for my taste. I like a strong bell tone. As mentioned in a comment above, you can easily overblow the lowest notes. So to get a good low D, it comes out soft and a little weak sounding.
Like a number of other whistles, if you keep the same air volume going through the instrument, the notes start to break around high A. You need to increase the volume to keep the higher notes true. Like I said, this is not unusual in a whistle but when I've found a whistle (there's two or three out there) that just slides all the way up to the 3rd D without a break or more effort, I'm impressed.
There is a slight problem with clogging initially but this is to be expected with metal whistles. When the whistle gets cold (which it does a lot where I live), playing it causes the moisture in your breath to condense on the cold metal. If the whistle is warm, this isn't as much of a problem. But with the metal being thicker, it takes a little longer to warm up. Definitely need to keep this baby stuffed in your shirt while you're not playing.
Others have mentioned the finish already and Chuck explained it. But I was wondering if it's possible to bevel the edges of the 'collar' and mouthpiece. It just has a slightly blocky feel to it right now. Maybe making the transition to the thicker points more gradual would reduce that appearance. This aspect isn't really important. Just a possible suggestion - may not be cost-effective.

Chuck uses a lower-hand finger spacing that is similar to O'Riordan, with the middle finger being closer to the top finger than that found on other whistles. This is not a negative but since I don't play an O'Riordan, it always takes a moment for me to adjust so I'm not stepping on my own fingers.

The negatives were only mentioned because Chuck asked for feedback. None of them were reasons not to check out this whistle. And it sounds like Chuck is constantly fine-tuning (no pun intended), so I think these will be nice, easily-attained whistles.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

That's swizzlestick. You know, the cheap whistle that's only good to stir your drink.
:lol:

Thanks for the detailed review, Montana.
Montana

Post by Montana »

swizzlestick wrote:
That's swizzlestick. You know, the cheap whistle that's only good to stir your drink.
:lol:
Sorry, swizzlestick, my bad.
There's a local band by the name of Swizzlegrit (whatever that is) so I just substituted that in, I guess.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have been remiss in not making any comments on this whistle. I agree almost completely with MacNeil.

I like the sound of this whistle. It has the sound I associate with thickwall aluminum. I like the weight of it. I found it very easy to play as long as you recognize that it requires breath control. My wife liked the sound of this whistle, a special endorsement. My only complaints were the weak low end and the ease with which it jumped into the second octave. I played it against a tuner and it was very much on as long as I did my part in providing the proper breath pressure. The one I had did not seem to have the same physical blemishes. It was relatively well finished. In short if I didn't already have whistles with this same sound I would buy one right now. I do not automatically buy whistles that I like if I have something very similar. A good whistle if you have the control.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Location Report:

The whistle is now in Colorado. I was expecting more of a rough look based on other postings. Oh, it could use a buffing, but this is a fine looking instrument.

I'll post some impressions after a few days of play.

Swizzlestick