M&E Old vs. New

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

M&E Old vs. New

Post by BillG »

I searched for M&E and came up with nichts. I recall some comments about the newer M&E Delrin (forget its title) and was wondering what major - key word "major" - difference there is between the old model and the newer one. The older one is a great flute and I leave it close by for easy grab for a few minutes play time when I don't feel like lubing another and cleaning it, etc. . .

Sorry if this has been discussed but I can't find it.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

There is this thread.
I am not seeing the older style M&E on the web site...
...although the front page has a couple of mentions of the traditional style, the Table of Contents does not.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: M&E Old vs. New

Post by Jon C. »

BillG wrote:I searched for M&E and came up with nichts. I recall some comments about the newer M&E Delrin (forget its title) and was wondering what major - key word "major" - difference there is between the old model and the newer one. The older one is a great flute and I leave it close by for easy grab for a few minutes play time when I don't feel like lubing another and cleaning it, etc. . .

Sorry if this has been discussed but I can't find it.

BillG
I like the tone of the newer R&R model better. I have had a chance to play Toddyboy50's M&E, as it is getting a face lift. Great flute!
One thing to note, it is not delrin, but turned from PVC stock. PVC has a nice tonal quality, but is tricky to turn...
Here is Tod's flute with new rings:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

The major difference between the Rudall and Rose and the older Standard M&E seemed to be that the Rudall has a more powerful sound, from the opinions expressed about them.

I have the Standard, which Michael Cronnolly doesn't offer any longer, since he said he would spend so much time explaining the difference between the two models in emails, and then they would order the R&R almost always. So, it just made more sense to him to just offer the one.

I have another headjoint that Michael made, which is pretty much what the Rudall headjoint is now, and it does have more power, and a little different tone (more of a rectangular embouchure hole). I asked for the split embouchure too (cutaway on the far side), which mine did not have, but I had played one with it and had liked that very much.

I think the standard also had a slightly different scale-the Rudall is supposed to be based on an older flute scale, where you have to bring more notes into tune by lipping, etc. PeepleJ and Eilam both mentioned this at one time or another. They also said it just becomes second nature though, so no worries about that.

I think the Standard M&E is a great flute in it's own right, too. Too bad the choice isn't still there, but the R&R has made so many happy owners out there, that you can't go wrong with that either.
~~~~
Barry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

With any flute, you have to learn the flute's scale and learn to play it in tune. It's true of the M&E R&R, and it's also true of my antique 8-key, my Seery, and even my Hamilton.

This is just as true on the Boehm-system flute as well.

So yes, you do have to learn the M&E's scale and learn to accomodate it's personality, but you have to do that on any flute.

--James
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

peeplj wrote:With any flute, you have to learn the flute's scale and learn to play it in tune. It's true of the M&E R&R, and it's also true of my antique 8-key, my Seery, and even my Hamilton.

This is just as true on the Boehm-system flute as well.

So yes, you do have to learn the M&E's scale and learn to accomodate it's personality, but you have to do that on any flute.

--James
Yes, James, very well put. All have their own peculiarities, and the player is just as much a part of the instrument as the flute is-it's a partnership, to be sure.
~~~~
Barry
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

Michael Cronolly mentions that his flutes are tuned to the "older" scale, and is perhaps the only maker on-line that acknowledges this with what seems a touch of pride :wink:. To hear someone really wail away on an M&E reminds me of some of the Geezer recordings that get mentioned here. Really cool.
A friend of mine plays an M&E standard, and the poor guy gets scapegoated for intonation problems in our little session. Sometimes we have only three flutes/whistles as melody, and we always outnumber the fiddlers and fixed pitched instruments. So with the three of us blasting away with variable ability or willingness to lip up or down appropriately, things can get a little,well, funky. Even if the fiddler sounds off, my friend will blame his flute! :lol:. Anyway, he's a great player.
James' post is well appreciated.
Cheers, Mike
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I just got a new R&R M&E in delrin for christmas. It's a nice flute, very easy to play, nice sound. The head is fully lined with metal. Intonation needs some "lipping" up or down, but that's really true for any flute I have played so far. It's still too early to write a longer comment as I just need more time to get used to the new instrument.

One thing I really love about this flute: as it is in 4 parts and has a softcase, it fits comfortably in the pocket of my dufflecoat. So I can carry it anywhere, and even bring it to my workplace, concealed in my handbag. A fluteplayer at heart disguised as a serious employee :wink:

One (minor) negative point: compared to the Seery delrin flute which looks perfect, the M&E looks a bit rough. The toneholes are not cleanly cut, the silver rings have little dents. Seen from a distance of > 2 meters, the M&E looks pretty, but don't take a close look.

All in all, it's a very good flute and I'm very happy to have it. After all, good looks is not the most important thing in life, right?

P.S.: it is also good value for money. I paid only 380 Euro for the flute + silver rings + soft bag + shipping (Ireland to Luxembourg).
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Michael Cronolly mentions that his flutes are tuned to the "older" scale, and is perhaps the only maker on-line that acknowledges this with what seems a touch of pride.
One (minor) negative point: compared to the Seery delrin flute which looks perfect, the M&E looks a bit rough. The toneholes are not cleanly cut, the silver rings have little dents. Seen from a distance of > 2 meters, the M&E looks pretty, but don't take a close look.
You're talking about a maker who made his first flute out of the spoke of a wagon wheel. :)

Michael Cronnolly's flutes are tuned a bit rough, and they are finished a bit rough, and that is fine with me. I have a 6-key M&E, and the keys look very rough, though they work perfectly (and have for years now) and fit my hands better than any other keyed flute I own.

There is still a place, I think, for someone who turns out flutes that are a bit rough around the edges, both ways.

My Hamilton is a beautiful flute, and the workmanship is just perfect. Everything about that flute is polished.

My M&E flutes are also beautiful in their own unapologetic way. They are what they are.

Some musicians like having an instrument that is a bit rough around the edges; for those who don't, there are plenty of other makers in various price ranges whose edges are all quite polished.

--James
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Another plus for the M.E.R.R. is the way the R &R seal acts as a conversation piece. .. I;ve had lots of people ask me about it thinking the flute is an antique.

I'm with James regarding the cosmetics - this is a flute you can play in the Outback or on a Himalayan trek . . . it don't need no "pretty."

My only substantive issue is the ergonomics - it's fairly top heavy compared to other flutes.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Wormdiet wrote:Another plus for the M.E.R.R. is the way the R &R seal acts as a conversation piece. .. I;ve had lots of people ask me about it thinking the flute is an antique.
I've had people asking "Who sticks money on instruments??" :)
Wormdiet wrote:My only substantive issue is the ergonomics - it's fairly top heavy compared to other flutes.
I solved this with the Cocobolo head!
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

My M&E R&R is an old one and doesn't have the fancy cap (darn...I need one... :sniffle: )

Solved the balance by adding a big silver Celtic ring as a RH pinky rest.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I don't have the fancy cap either, just a silver circle with Michael's name on it etc.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

michael_coleman wrote:I don't have the fancy cap either, just a silver circle with Michael's name on it etc.
See...that puts us in the exclusive group of very quick people who picked right up on the R&R..... :D

....on the other hand...if we waited just a bit.... :oops:

Ahh well...its just the high price of leadership..... :o
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:
michael_coleman wrote:I don't have the fancy cap either, just a silver circle with Michael's name on it etc.
See...that puts us in the exclusive group of very quick people who picked right up on the R&R..... :D

....on the other hand...if we waited just a bit.... :oops:

Ahh well...its just the high price of leadership..... :o
I have one sitting on my desk, if you want it... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon