Newbie with questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cecilg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie with questions

Post by cecilg »

I am new to this site as well as to whistles. Can anyone recommend videos and books to get to help self teach playing? I bought a Chris Abell yesterday while I was in North Carolina. I am also looking for info on stores in the Atlanta area as well as someone that possibly teaches. I also will be going to Birmingham, Al tomorrow and wondering if any good places to see whistles and music in that area. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Cecilg
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi cecilg,

Welcome to C&F!

Being also a newcomer, I wouldn't venture any advice and will leave that to the experts that abound here in great quantity and quality. Except to say; use the search function, the knowledge in these forums is vast.

May your whistling thrive!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
thirdfipple

books/cd for newbie

Post by thirdfipple »

I am a newbie as well and I find Grey Larsen's books with cds very good.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I second the Larsen books. Also, most any good ITM CD is a good tutorial. Just listen and imitate.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I say Bill Ochs' book. That is how I learned. Your first Whistle is more expensive than any one Whsitle I have ever owned.
tradfancy

Brian Finnegan's Tin Whistle Tutorial-madfortrad

Post by tradfancy »

Brian Finnegan's Tin Whistle Tutorial-madfortrad
It's a wonderful whistle tutorial...
That's how i have learned a year ago, and i participated is several gigs already. it teaches you from the basic to the begginer while giving you tangible video& sound demonstrations...
madfortrad charge high prices, so search after it via internet.
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Ditto on the Ochs book and recording. Easy to follow, starts at the absolute basics (blow in this end) great selection of tunes, nice discussion of ornamentation.
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
cecilg

Post by cecilg »

Thanks for all the info. I have ordered several books and videos. I am really looking forward to this and hoping that I didn't wait too long in life to begin. Did any of you guys start later or must one start learning at an early age?
Thanks,
Cecilg
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

cecilg wrote:Thanks for all the info. I have ordered several books and videos. I am really looking forward to this and hoping that I didn't wait too long in life to begin. Did any of you guys start later or must one start learning at an early age?
One must start when one starts, as long as one isn't necessarily looking to make it a career. I started in my mid forties; I love it, I've come light years from whence I started (the backyard boos have turned to applause), but won't be joining the Chieftains any time soon...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
CHCBrown

Post by CHCBrown »

Started in my 30s, never got serious enough to play for anyone but myself. That said, I have found great pleasure in playing for and by myself for over a decade, and in recent years, have begun to entertain the thought of playing for others.
"Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light ….”
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I'm 40 something and started a couple years ago. It's great fun, and I don't own a TV (by choice) so I actually can learn new things in the evenings.

Mostly I play by and for myself. Sometimes I play with family - half of us play some instrument at one level or another.

Start with the Bill Ochs book. It get's you right into playing a little. The Larsen books are great, but might put a beginner off (lot's of technical stuff).

You should try to put some breath through that whistle every day if you can, to keep the moisture content right. That's a good thing, it will make you put some practice time in. Oil it regularly. That's a really special whistle, so take good care of it.

Have fun!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Re: Brian Finnegan's Tin Whistle Tutorial-madfortrad

Post by AiglosCelt »

tradfancy wrote:Brian Finnegan's Tin Whistle Tutorial-madfortrad
It's a wonderful whistle tutorial...
That's how i have learned a year ago, and i participated is several gigs already. it teaches you from the basic to the begginer while giving you tangible video& sound demonstrations...
madfortrad charge high prices, so search after it via internet.
I've never seen these videos, but I would second this...brian is, imo, the best tin whistle player in the Irish music scene today, and I've heard great things about the videos.