Help! Emergency pecan pie question!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Help! Emergency pecan pie question!

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all...does anyone out there know if the filling of a pecan pie sets up as it cools? I've had these pies in the oven for a good 15 minutes longer than the recipe called for, and the filling is still liquidy (although the pecans have risen to the top and have a nice, crusty look). I've had to take them out, because the crust was starting to get too done. Are my pies toast? I've never made pecan pie before, so I don't know what's "normal" at this stage (and the recipe doesn't say).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The filling may be a bit runny but should have set a bit while it was in there...I see I'm posting this about 20 minutes late...let us know how they turned out!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Good news! They're starting to set up nicely.

I had visions of having to run out and buy some kind of dessert tomorrow, but I think these are going to do just fine.

Redwolf
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

WAH!!!!

Take them out!!!!!!!!!!!!

They set up while they cool!

I just know yours are gonna be fine, but when I (compulsively ~ b/c I know better by now) take mine out later, rather than sooner, they are too firm in the center for my liking, and I also don't like it when the pecans are "too" toasty....

In fact, this year I am making only pumpkin pies, since my hubby and I are the only ones that like the pecan, and I really "don't" need to eat half a pie......

:boggle:

M
Christmas Cheers
missy

Post by missy »

and just make sure you pronounce that :
pe - CAN, not PE - can

right, Dixie! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm sorry, but I feel that, at this time of world-wide love and peace, we need to be culturally correct, so I will share the compromise which enables me to blend with a multitude of ethnically diverse individuals.

It's a peh-KAHN tree, a bag of peh-KAHNs, shelled peh-KAHNs, and mixed nuts with peh-KAHNs, but once those nuts are in a pie, you'd best call it a PEE-kan pie if you want a piece of it.

If it came from a bakery, nobody will care what you call it. If you're north of the Mason-Dixon line, you'll get a raised eyebrow with PEE-kan, but you'll still get your pie. Elsewhere, if you call it a peh-KAHN pie, at best you'll get a piece of pumpkin pie instead.

At worst, you'll find yourself seated unhappily alone at the table while everyone else vanishes into the kitchen to sample the really good stuff, including this year's batch of a delightful clear liquid served up in mason jars. That's a price too high to pay for linguistic purity.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Better advice from better cooks has been offered. I'll merely add that I've switched pecan pie recipes because of the very problem of pies which would not solidify and were overcooked in the attempt. (And no, they were still runny later.) So it depends on the recipe, but I'm happy yours worked out Red.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

emmline wrote:Better advice from better cooks has been offered. I'll merely add that I've switched pecan pie recipes because of the very problem of pies which would not solidify and were overcooked in the attempt. (And no, they were still runny later.) So it depends on the recipe, but I'm happy yours worked out Red.
Ahem . . . going to share this recipe, Emm?

<please please please please?>
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

This thread gets my nomination for best subject line of the week.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Redwolf, my aunt from Santa Cruz use to make the most wonderful pecan pies. I distinctly remember the taste of lemon peel in the filling...a sensation I've never gotten from other pecan pies since.
djm

Post by djm »

[quote="Lambchop]you'd best call it a PEE-kan pie if you want a piece of it[/quote]
There may be walnuts in the wall, and cashews in the cash register, but pecans belong under the bed, not in a pie. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The good news is, the pies did set up beautifully, and a little taste snuck last night indicated that they taste as good as they look.

The crust did brown a bit more than I might like, but it doesn't taste burnt, and that's the important thing.

Redwolf
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

FJohnSharp wrote:This thread gets my nomination for best subject line of the week.
Yes. I briefly played Mellotron in a band called "Emergency Pecan Pie Question" in 1974. Prog rock. Fans called us EPPQ for short.

Dale

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

DaleWisely wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:This thread gets my nomination for best subject line of the week.
Yes. I briefly played Mellotron in a band called "Emergency Pecan Pie Question" in 1974. Prog rock. Fans called us EPPQ for short.

Dale

Didn't you open for Tangerine Dream in St. Louis?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

FJohnSharp wrote:
DaleWisely wrote: Yes. I briefly played Mellotron in a band called "Emergency Pecan Pie Question" in 1974. Prog rock. Fans called us EPPQ for short.

Dale

Didn't you open for Tangerine Dream in St. Louis?
Yeah. Just that one time.