The Mysterious Cone Nebula

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

The Mysterious Cone Nebula

Post by Denny »

Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

OK, Denny, you mentioned that that your telescope is above the hot walker. But the photo that you show looks like very good resolution to me. Tell me please, what kind of telescope are you using to get such good photos? I saw a telescope at Walmart for $79.95. Would you recommend something better?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Doug, these photos were taken by Nasa from the Hubble Telescope... $79.95 won't quite pay for it. I'd go with the $90-100.00 dollar variety... just to be on the safe side. :D
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Doug, are you just interested in a telescope for viewing, or did you want to get into astrophotography as well? Prices have fallen quite a bit in the last few years. You should be able to pick up a nice 8"or 10" for only a few thousand.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

djm wrote:Doug, are you just interested in a telescope for viewing, or did you want to get into astrophotography as well? Prices have fallen quite a bit in the last few years. You should be able to pick up a nice 8"or 10" for only a few thousand.

djm
I used to work for Kitt Peak National Observatory near Tucson, AZ. Back in the 70's I was an assistant liaison officer for Cerro Tololo, the sister observatory in Chile, S.A. I have a large photo of M16: Gaseous Nebula in Serpens taken at Kitt Peak hanging on the wall of my bedroom. I don't know, a part of my personality is that I like to play ignorant and ask dumb questions. Where I am living now in Indiana, we have very few days where the night sky would be clear enough and dark enough for very good viewing or photography. If I every decide to move back to Arizona, I may think of getting a small telescope.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Thanks, Denny, for the excellent photos. Another idea: I hear that NASA is going to discontue funding the Hubble telescope. Maybe we could take up a collection to see if we could purchase some last-mimute viewing time.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Doug, I had just typed a, for me, long response, at 7:40 here, when we lost power as I clicked on the submit button! :lol:

I don't remember mentioning anything that would have dispelled the local confusion...ah well! I did enjoy the helpful posts from JES and DJM.

General disclaimer...I am responsible for the sunrise shot of the "observatory" only.
djm

Post by djm »

Since the C&F community is so good at raising money for trivial pursuits such as disaster relief and world hunger, surely we can do something truly constructive for all mankind and just buy the thing from NASA. How about it? What would you say to the C&F Space Telescope? And Denny could post beautiful images twice a day.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote: What would you say to the C&F Space Telescope? And Denny could post beautiful images twice a day.

djm
A great idea. However, it must meet with approval from Dale... and, of course, taking detailed photos of Daleforce 1 would be strictly forbidden.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Hadn't the white house, awhile back, mentioned using the Hubble for target practice or something?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I like spotting new objects and happened upon the Coathanger cluster one cold night. I relayed my excitement to my sweetie pie whom was able to contain her glee. She asked if there was an Ironing Board nebula closeby. :)