Is Sailor's Hornpipe (Popeye theme) really a hornpipe?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Jonathan wrote:
s1m0n wrote:English hornpipes are not the same as Irish Hornpipes.
The tunes are different sure but the form is the same. After all this form of tune was introduced by English musicians and somewhere along the line became part of the tradition.

Totally unrelated to the above, but I read an interesting tidbit somewhere (may have be Gearoid O'hAllmhurain's Pocket Guide to Irish Music but not sure) stating that an earlier form of English hornpipe was actually in 3/2 or some such instead of 2/4 (notated 4/4 :-? ) as we know them today.
Yes, the original english hornpipe was in 3/2. This is a major reason why the form is not the same.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I assume there's a traditional Irish dance that is danced to Irish hornpipes? If so, is it anything like the steps danced to an English hornpipe?

...just curious...

-brett
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

If a man is in the forrest,and there are no women around and makes a statement, is he still wrong? :-? :twisted: :D :P
Regards David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
RedFox

Post by RedFox »

Sailor's Hornpipe is a hornpipe. Would you play it as a reel?
Jonathan, check out O'Neill's for a hefty amount of hornpipes with a 2/4 time signature. Don't be so quick to dismiss your assessments. You might surprise yourself... :wink:

If you would like to be further confused, please do visit here:
http://mmcconeghy.com/RIMUSIC/hornpipe.htm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

the humours of tullycrine is a actually a hornpipe, but on this cd:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... tyle=music

they play it as a reel is played. I really love the way they play it, it's how I try to play it as well. :)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

boomerang wrote:If a man is in the forrest,and there are no women around and makes a statement, is he still wrong? :-? :twisted: :D :P
Regards David
Don't think you can get off that easily, buster!
Cotelette d'Agneau
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Lambchop wrote:
boomerang wrote:If a man is in the forrest,and there are no women around and makes a statement, is he still wrong? :-? :twisted: :D :P
Regards David
Don't think you can get off that easily, buster!
Are you insinuating that he is wrong in asking that question? :lol:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
RedFox

Post by RedFox »

Yes, on Callan Bridge, Tullycrine (as it is known to those who play it often ;)) is played as a slow reel would be played.
Danu plays the hornpipe Peacock's Feather as a fast reel.
However, I tend to think that this does not diminish the fact or sur-fact that although a hornpipe is played as another tune rhythm that it makes it no less a hornpipe. Perhaps an interpretive hornpipe?
Sometimes, especially when learning by ear or from others, we learn a tune that we later find is actually a hornpipe, but that you learned it as a reel or vice versa. I don't think a clear line of definition exists.
It just may be another example of making the music their/our own.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Redfox, you're HOT HOT HOT!

(Wanderer, plase don't tell my wife about this post)

Have a great Christmas all.
Short bio: 1952-
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

2/4 Hornpipes are all Hornpipes on GHBs. Look up Hornpipe on any Highland Bagpipe tune search and they will all be 2/4 with 16th notes, super annoying if you start on Whistle.
missy

Post by missy »

we don't have an MP3 up of this (although we do include it on our CD) but we do "Fisher's" hornpipe in a "bluegrass" style. We got it from a crossover band, so honestly, it's NOT played as a hornpipe, or really bluegrass, either.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

As long as there is no international regulatory body tightly governing the composition of the world's traditional music, people are just going to continue to break the rules. They're going to keep writing non-swingy, reel-sounding hornpipes and doing whatever the heck else they want, as if there weren't an exactly right and wrong way to do it. What is the world coming to??!?

:wink:
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

dlovrien wrote:They're going to keep writing non-swingy, reel-sounding hornpipes and doing whatever the heck else they want, as if there weren't an exactly right and wrong way to do it. What is the world coming to??!?
Dare i say it, "Hornpipey sounding reels!"

:D

?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

dlovrien wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again...

As long as there is no international regulatory body tightly governing the composition of the world's traditional music, people are just going to continue to break the rules. They're going to keep writing non-swingy, reel-sounding hornpipes and doing whatever the heck else they want, as if there weren't an exactly right and wrong way to do it. What is the world coming to??!?

:wink:
:lol: :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

RedFox wrote:Yes, on Callan Bridge, Tullycrine (as it is known to those who play it often ;)) is played as a slow reel would be played.
Danu plays the hornpipe Peacock's Feather as a fast reel.
However, I tend to think that this does not diminish the fact or sur-fact that although a hornpipe is played as another tune rhythm that it makes it no less a hornpipe. Perhaps an interpretive hornpipe?
Sometimes, especially when learning by ear or from others, we learn a tune that we later find is actually a hornpipe, but that you learned it as a reel or vice versa. I don't think a clear line of definition exists.
It just may be another example of making the music their/our own.
Is this really true? Is a hornpipe not a hornpipe because it's played in that jumpy way? I mean, if t.h.o.tullycrine was always played as on Callan Brigde, wouldn't it simply be a Reel, and not a Hornpipe?