books about history of Irish flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

books about history of Irish flute?

Post by lesl »

Here it is Christmas eve .. I'm sure that Santa is not going to bring me this, but I'm interested in reading books about the history of the Irish flute. Anyone already know what's available?

Happy holidays everyone,
Lesl
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

Is Hammy Hamilton's book still out of print? I've heard it goes into it some. Fintan Vallely's Timber: The Flute Tutor gives a brief, whimsical overview of the Irish flute's history.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

you're not likely to find a history of Irish Flute since the flutes we use were of the classical realm.
Great history to read include Rockstro's Treatise on The Flute (c.1899) and "A Word or Two on the Flute" by WN James (I got my copy two Christmases ago....and still love to read it!).

It explains a lot about many things.

Now, the history of how ornaments came to be and things as that.....can be culled from a very cool book called "Last Night's Fun," a tribute to what is Irish music. Very intrinsic and intimate stuff. Worth the read.

Sit with some nice hot port and read out loud! :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

If you mean a history of the flute in Irish folk music then I second Hammy's book, Fintan's is more of a tutor, and a very nice, quirky one too.

There is a lot more to be written about marching band flutes and fifes in Ireland IMO, but that's probably (up to a point) a different, if related, story.
O'Niell was almost certainly not just talking about low or lowish pitch instruments when he said that the flute was the most popular instrument in his Ireland.

Regards,

Harry.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hammy's book is out of print at the minute, details and next edition email list here:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~hammie/book.htm

Was talking to him recently and he mentioned another run of 'em.

ATB,

Harry.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Grey Larsens book has got the most in depth history of the irish flute I've read (which doesn't say a lot reall, but still...)
Good book all in all, great tool. Many will agree, some will disagree.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Lesl,

I just ran across some good historical information on Terry McGee's website. I had forgotten about it, since I hadn't been there for a while, but he gives quite a good bit of information there also, and it's free!

I'll have to put my reading glasses on too, and learn a bit myself!

Thanks Terry!

Happy Holidays to all!
~~~~
Barry
dhamilingu

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi all,

A somewhat related historical title is Nicholas Carolan's "A Harvest Saved: Francis O'Neill and Irish Music in Chicago". O'Neill was one of the great collectors of Irish music, done in the U.S. among Irish immigrant musicians. The flute connection is that O'Neill himself was a flute player. Material on the history of the Irish flute isn't the focus, but there's a little here and there. But the book as a whole is quite interesting.
thirdfipple

history

Post by thirdfipple »

I agree with the reccomendation for Grey Larsen's book.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'd recommend "The Companion to Irish Traditional Music", an pricey volume edited by Fintan Vallely. A pretty decent encyclopedia reference of a lot of the characters etc. involved in Irish Music, so quite a bit of history. Open to any page and learn something useful. 6 pages just on the 'flute" entry. Hard-bound, published in the U.S.A. by New York University Press, ISBN 0-8147-8802-5

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:I'd recommend "The Companion to Irish Traditional Music", an pricey volume edited by Fintan Vallely. A pretty decent encyclopedia reference of a lot of the characters etc. involved in Irish Music, so quite a bit of history. Open to any page and learn something useful. 6 pages just on the 'flute" entry. Hard-bound, published in the U.S.A. by New York University Press, ISBN 0-8147-8802-5

Kevin Krell
Looks like a nice read.
They have it on Amazon.com;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081478 ... s&v=glance
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You know, I don't doubt it's worth the $60 list price, but I bought mine on eBay for a bit less than Amazon's price, being a frugal shopper.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

David Migoya wrote:
Now, the history of how ornaments came to be and things as that.....can be culled from a very cool book called "Last Night's Fun," a tribute to what is Irish music. Very intrinsic and intimate stuff. Worth the read.
Now, that sounds like a good book. I have always wondered about that. Also the fact that it is named after one of my favorite tunes isn't making me want it less.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Oh as usual I worded my question wrongly. Thank you all however for all these replies. I'm sure it will make a useful reference.

What I was actually meaning, was a book about the history of the concert flutes we use, on the lines of what David Migoya was saying. I've been re reading the web treatises written by Terry McGee and Michael Robinson lately. Its cool to learn the history of the Rudalls and Pratten's. Sort of like a geneological flute tree.. how the Pratten flute evolved from the one before it and so on.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Lesl,
You've probably seen Rick Wilson's pages, but here's the link anyway http://www.oldflutes.com/

Seems he has a bibliography page that might tbe useful.

Byron