beer

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

beer

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats

Post by Guest »

A bit...obsessed? :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

dubhlinn wrote:Image

Slan,
D. :)
Thanks, I think I will..... :D
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

My favorite beer of the year, <a href="http://www.saintarnold.com/products/pro ... e.html">St. Arnold's Divine Reserve</a>. The limited run made it difficult to find, I found a few bottles at various pubs around town but all the stores sold out within minutes of opening. Seriously.

Then, a week later, I went to the beer section of the local Kroger's on my birthday, I had already checked, but this time lo and behold they had one six-pack for sale.

I figure it was the Universe's way of balancing the scales for 2005 after getting laid off and my car totaled.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I get a kick outta this...
Brew beer in a coffee machine!!!

How to Brew Beer in a Coffee Pot

Brewery tours are a golden opportunity for brewers to educate visitors about the art of brewing. But any brewery employee who has been assigned tour guide duty has seen the confusion on people's faces when you describe the brewing process. To the visitor, brewing can sound like a return to high school chemistry-with some alchemy thrown in.

The process of brewing coffee, I discovered, was a good way to relate the brewing process to people who do not understand zymurgy, the technical term for making beer. This became more than a useful analogy: with familiar kitchen equipment, you can repeat the steps of the process that goes on in breweries large and small-and make a very small batch of beer.

For this mini-homebrew, you'll need the following kitchen equipment:
An electric drip coffee maker with a water-heating compartment and a hot plate (Mine is a West Bend Quick Drip, and all the measurements here are based on that machine.)
A wooden rolling pin (marble is too heavy)
One coffee filter
A saucepan, larger than 2 quarts
2 1-quart canning jars with lids
2 6-inch squares of cheesecloth
Two rubber bands
1/2 gallon filtered-not distilled-water

Brewing ingredients, from a homebrew supply store: 1 1/4 cups malted barley. You can use all "base malt," such as 2-row or pilsner. Base malt provides the sugar content for fermentation. Or use 1 cup of base malt and 1/4 cup specialty malt(s), such as crystal or chocolate malt, which will provide added color and flavor.
5 to 7 hop pellets, which are the cones of the hop plant compressed into little nuggets. Hops add bitterness to the flavor of beer, and help preserve it. The variety is your choice.
1/2 packet of champagne yeast (or you can even use baker's yeast)

Before you begin: cleanliness is a huge concern with brewers, because any unwanted microorganisms or residual chemicals can taint the beer. Make sure everything you are using is as close to sanitary as possible. Use a dishwasher if you have one. Set the drying cycle to heat dry with no rinsing agent.

In brewing-whether coffee or beer-parts of a plant (coffee beans or grains of barley) are steeped in hot water to extract soluble material. To make this extraction more efficient, you grind the coffee beans, or you mill the barley grains.

Measure 1 1/4 cups of malted barley. Using the rolling pin, gently apply just enough pressure to the grains to crack them. You do not want to make flour.

Place the cracked grains into the coffee pot. Place 2 cups of filtered water into the coffee machine and turn it on. The temperatures of the water-heating chamber and hot plate-170 degrees F and 150 degrees F, respectively-are perfect for brewing! Let the coffee maker do its thing; it will keep the water/grain mix at a constant temperature for about an hour before it shuts off.

This is called "mashing-in." Enzyme activity in the grain breaks down starches and complex sugars into simple, fermentable sugars.

Strain the liquid through the coffee filter, and place the filter full of grain into the filter basket. Pour the strained liquid back into the water-heating chamber. Add 1 cup of water to the strained liquid in the chamber and turn the machine back on. After the liquid flows into the coffee pot, turn off the machine and pour the liquid back into heating chamber. Repeat five times, adding another cup of water each time. Keep a close eye to make sure it does not overflow.

This is called "lautering." Lautering is the process of washing hot water over the grain to extract the simple and complex sugars. The higher temperature stops the enzymes from breaking down the grain any further.

Now you have a sugar-rich liquid called "wort" (pronounced "wert"), or sweet liquor. Place the wort into the saucepan and get it to a rolling boil. After 20 minutes of boiling, add 5 to 7 pellets of hops, boil for an additional 30 minutes, then turn off the burner.

Stir until you have a whirlpool. This will pull leftover sediment into the center of the pot. Carefully pour the wort into the canning jar, pouring down the side of the jar without splashing. Splashing hot wort would allow unwanted air-borne organisms to get established.

Next, you need to bring the temperature of the wort down to a level where yeast-the organisms you want in your wort-will thrive. The brewery uses a wort chiller or heat exchanger; you just place the jar into a sink filled with cold water.

Let it cool until the liquid reaches between 60 and 70 degrees F. Screw the top on the jar and shake vigorously; this aerates the wort. Take the top off the jar and add yeast.

The jar is now your fermentation tank. Place a piece of cheesecloth over the top of the jar and secure it with a rubber band; the cheesecloth will keep stuff from falling in your wort, and the carbon dioxide produced by fermentation should keep out other contaminants.

Place the jar in a cool, dark place. The sweet liquor will become beer in five to seven days. Wasn't that easy?

--Bill Drew
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You can forego the coffee-pot step by getting malt extract. Also, the recipe will make un-carbonated beer. If you want it carbonated, put maybe a tbsp of sugar in a 2-liter soda bottle and put the beer in there. Let it stand at room temp for a couple of weeks.

The Samuel Adams winter brew is especially good this year. The Anchor is always good, it rivals my own. I don't follow a recipe (I rely on my nose), but it's mostly like this:

6 lb malt extract (Laaglander is best for this)
1 lb honey
1 lb molasses

1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb 60 L crystal malt
2 oz dark-roasted barley or black patent malt

1 cinnamon stick
1" ginger root
5 cloves
1 nutmeg
5 or so cardamom pods
zest of 1 orange

1.5 oz Saaz or other mild hop

Whitbread Ale yeast

(I'd like to try elderberries in it sometime, but have no idea where to get them)

Make in the summer, let ferment at least 1 month, honey has some really complex sugars that take some time to break down. Don't even think of drinking it till it's been in the bottle for three months.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Throat is gettin' a little dry and scratchy here...
~~~~
Barry
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

Thanks for the recipes. My hope after we find a new house is to setup a beer fridge and try my hand at homebrew. While I don't really have the time for a new hobby, it seems like you send an afternoon brewing and then let it ferment for a while, so it's not a hobby that requires constant practice to keep going.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ImageImage

the two best beers in basel. :)
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I have a few favourites:

1. Brains SA (from Wales)
2. Creemore (from Ontario)
3. Guinness (from the tap)
4. Big Rock Traditional (from Alberta)
5. Boddington's (England)
6. Keith's (Nova Scotia)
7. Granite Best Bitter (Toronto)

Mmmmmmmm.... beer :)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The other evening I actually heard a young lady ask the bartender for two Bud Lites with lime. Understandably she had to repeat herself.

The poor man's Corona, I suppose...

I never got that. If you have to stuff a wedge of lime into a beer before you drink it, isn't the beer intrinsically defective somehow?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Henke

Post by Henke »

Full size was a little bit too much :) Click on the pic for a larger version.
The pic is me on a trip with my class, enjoying a nice cold beer in Kings Halls with a classmate.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Well, I'm off to have a few beers with some friends.
Lapin Kulta, very nice Finnish beer. One of my favurite lagers. You guys should try it out some time.

Cheers
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nanohedron wrote:The other evening I actually heard a young lady ask the bartender for two Bud Lites with lime. Understandably she had to repeat herself.

The poor man's Corona, I suppose...

I never got that. If you have to stuff a wedge of lime into a beer before you drink it, isn't the beer intrinsically defective somehow?
Actually, Corona was originally brewed to be a cheapie "working man's brew". It doesn't have tons of malty goodness and I think the lime thing was designed to cover up this lackage. Now it's a trendy brew. Go figger.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!