The Official 'Why I'm Thankful for Chiff and Fipple' thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:Soylent Green is people.
Not originally. In the story "Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison, it simply meant a food made from soy beans and lentils. The "people" bit was added to the movie as a bit of pure Hollywood.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I’m thankful for Hip, Hip! and post count obsessions, for poetry and puns, for moderators and peacemakers, for glimpses into daily life and a wide world’s worth of different viewpoints to explore, for funny pictures and lovely photos, for welcoming hellos and heartfelt goodbyes, thoughtful counsel and flippant digression, for postructuralism and deconstruction, oracles and oration, for memorials and memories, avatars and arguments, for point and counterpoint, news of firsts and festivals and feasts, for venting of frustration and soothing of pain, for seasons and songs, weather and websites, for wit and woe and wisdom and weirdness and whimsy, for apologies and accolades, history lessons and hilarious spoofs, harangues and homilies, for bombast and brilliance, charity and caring, cheers and charm ... and for much more. I’m thankful for the roots and rhythms of this place: the love of music that sings and flows through every page, harmonizing, blending into the unique polyphony that is the Chiffboard. It’s all here: It’s all of you.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

For all the new information I've gained (some of it even about music)
For proving that Americans are people and not a stereotype
For teaching me to laugh quietly (most of the time) while I'm at work
and most of all....
For caring
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jbarter wrote: For proving that Americans are people and not a stereotype

... since when? Better have another look mate. :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

scottielvr wrote:I’m thankful for Hip, Hip! and post count obsessions, for poetry and puns, for moderators and peacemakers, for glimpses into daily life and a wide world’s worth of different viewpoints to explore, for funny pictures and lovely photos, for welcoming hellos and heartfelt goodbyes, thoughtful counsel and flippant digression, for postructuralism and deconstruction, oracles and oration, for memorials and memories, avatars and arguments, for point and counterpoint, news of firsts and festivals and feasts, for venting of frustration and soothing of pain, for seasons and songs, weather and websites, for wit and woe and wisdom and weirdness and whimsy, for apologies and accolades, history lessons and hilarious spoofs, harangues and homilies, for bombast and brilliance, charity and caring, cheers and charm ... and for much more. I’m thankful for the roots and rhythms of this place: the love of music that sings and flows through every page, harmonizing, blending into the unique polyphony that is the Chiffboard. It’s all here: It’s all of you.
I really couldn't express it any better than that.
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

… because it proves that Internet addiction can happen to anyone!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:
jsluder wrote:Soylent Green is people.
Not originally. In the story "Make Room! Make Room!" by Harry Harrison, it simply meant a food made from soy beans and lentils. The "people" bit was added to the movie as a bit of pure Hollywood.
But Charleton Heston said it was people! Are you saying Chuck lied? Besides, what would that alliteratively named hack Harry Harrison know about it? I suspect he just mispelled "Soyentl" (a food made from soy beans and everyone involved in the filming of Barbra Streisand's Yentl).
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:Are you saying Chuck lied?
I would respond, but I am concerned about Chuck's proclivity for shooting anyone who counters him. :wink:

djm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm thankful for the C&F because gives us all a chance to buy and sell instruments.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I really have learned a lot about Irish music here---things that I wouldn't have found out about in books. I've got the books, so I know.

I like threads getting hijacked without people going bonkers. I like the weirdo fusion forum. I like being around people who know so much about so many different things. I like our strange moderators. Well, I just like everything and I am being told that we have to go, so I can't get all philosophical about it.

Have a nice holiday everyone!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Yeah. Me too. What they said.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I'm really grateful for you folks and the bright spot you bring to an otherwise crazy 4AM-1PM shift!
You guys are great friends, and it's rare that I go somplace so (occasionally :P ) sophisticated that I can break out and talk about something completely off the wall.........like real zombies singing crap-ass x-mas songs driving Minis.

Happy solstice everyone!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:But again, above all else, it is the people.
djm wrote:I'm afraid I have to disagree.
Sorry djm. Soylent Green is people.
djm is people....

time for a soylent BBQ :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

TylerM wrote:djm is people....
Um ... not sure if I've just been insulted or not ... :-?

djm
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:
TylerM wrote:djm is people....
Um ... not sure if I've just been insulted or not ... :-?

djm
Are you a people or are you not? Are you Soylentable? :P

Is it tasty? Is it scrumptiously-crunchable my precious?