The Lazy Man's Whistle Stand

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kingfisher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Lazy Man's Whistle Stand

Post by Kingfisher »

For a while now , I've been toying with the idea of building a rack or stand to store or display my growing whistle collection. However , since I've actually got a real life and very limited time or building skills , I've fallen into a full blown case of procrastination .... BIG TIME !! :lol:

Fortunately , while browsing through a local craft shop ( Michael's ), I stumbled on the answer to my problem. First , I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not affiliated with this product , it's sale or promotion , so this is not a commercial post. I merely have found something that works for me and wanted to share it with friends at C&F.

The item is called a Knifty Knitter and is designed to make knitted wool caps. They are heavy flattened plastic rings with 1 inch knobbed posts sticking up all around the perimeter on one side. All that's required to make this a terrific whistle stand is to set/mount it on any flat surface , with the posts sticking up and start placing your whistles , bell end down , over the posts. BINGO !! Instant whistle rack !!!!

They come in 4 different sizes or as a complete set. I got the complete kit on sale for $10 and some change. I mounted the smallest one on my computer desk with double sided tape. It holds most of my commonly played whistles , ranging from High F to Bb , right at my fingertips with no problems. The only small problem occurs with some of the conical bore whistles , but even that is easily remedied. For my Shaw's and Clarke's , I simply ground off the knobbed post , a bit , with my Dremel tool ( you could use an Emery board )

I'm providing a link , so you can check it out for yourselves. It sure has put an end to the "scattered whistle syndrome" around the ol' Kingfisher's nest ! Hope it can be a help to you , also !! :) Merry Christmas !!!

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!

http://www.provocraft.com/products/cata ... %20knitter
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I use a test tube drying rack purchased at the 99 cent store (advertised as a dish drying rack). Great rack, holds 16 whistles. I rolled my own paper extenders to hold low Ds and flutes. The only whistle that doesn't fit is a Clarke original. I had to fashion a thinner peg for it.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I don't think I would trust most of my whistles on a post only 1 inch tall.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Try this site. I found a test tube rack on the following page.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?sub ... ategory=42

You may have to click thru several pages to find it.

I'm getting to the point where I'll need one soon.

Bob Z.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My roommate asked me to buy her one of these the other day while I was out and about...

I expect it's because she actually knits, and not because it'll show up under the tree with a whistle stuck on every peg.

But one can dream...oh yes..one can dream

;)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

At the same place, Michaels, they sell little decorative wine bottle holders. They are a round tube that is just high enough for a D or higher whistle. I put a few, maybe a dozen, of my least played whistles in this tube. It even has a lid to completely cover them. It sells for about $2.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

DaleWisely wrote:Behold:

http://www.threadart.com/E/jt672.asp
Just imagine the fear that would strike in the hearts of the attacking cavaliers.

Well, like, if they were 8 feet tall...
and maybe the spikes were longer....
and perhaps sharpened.....
and you yelled "BOO" really loud?

*shuffling back to my cage*
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

My whistle stand came with a nice package of Cub Scout popcorn inside it --

Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

But Dale that only holds 80 whistles, what am I going to do with the rest.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

DaleWisely wrote:Behold:

http://www.threadart.com/E/jt672.asp
One can not but tremble in AWE at the omnipotence of the UNDISPUTED! :wink:

How many do you have, Dale, about 25? :really:
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Leel wrote: How many do you have, Dale, about 25? :really:
I think that you probably left off a few zeros from that number . . . :)
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Well , let see ? For the complete set , I come up with a count of 132 posts.
Greg , if your lady fills that puppy with whistles for Christmas , I'd say she's definitely a "keeper" !! It also puts a whole new spin on WHOA.
"I'm really not collecting whistles , honey , I just can't stand to see all those poor little uncovered pegs ! Think how lonely they must feel !! :lol:

I haven't tried anything larger than a Bb on these rings , Steve. I keep my bigger metal whistles in a stand ( similar to an umbrella stand ) and my wooden whistles in sealed plastic tubes ( not unlike the ones that Ron mentioned ) Here in western Pa. , it seems like either the furnace or air condition is always running. The dry air tends to make storing wooden whistles a bit of a challenge. I surely wouldn't consider this setup good for wood , under those conditions , but the 1 inch pegs seem to hold the smaller whistles just fine. Even without mounting , if you flair them into a sort of cone ( to maintain a counterbalance ) , they stay just fine. Of course , I haven't got any step dancers bouncing around in my computer room either !! :lol: That could be a problem !! :)

Thanks for the link , Dale ! Those look like really nice racks ! Of course , sanding , staining , and finishing them requires some degree of work and disqualifys them as true "lazy man" devices. It's OK !! We know that your heart was in the right place ! Maybe , if I get this one filled up ... hmmm ? :)

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

My top dresser drawer holds all of mine, but I can not close it all the way with the low ones sticking out. That black plastic round thing with the tube in the middle holding Memorex CDs, when the CDs are gone it will hold one Bb or larger. :D To carry my low whistles I am useing a folding lawn chair bag.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Damn-- I just have a little velveteen drawstring bag for my two whistles...
but I made it myself! And it's orange, white, and green! :P I obviously need more.
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.