F*** I can't chat!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

F*** I can't chat!

Post by Henke »

I can't connect to the chat server. This computer drives me mad. It just refuses' to show some sites and servers, the C&F chat seems to be among them. I've tried to lower the security and everything, doesn't seem to be the problem.
Anyone have an idea?
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

First we have to figure out who you're talking to ... F***. Hmmmmmm. I'm going to hazard a guess and say FRED. Are there any Freds on the board? :D

Seriously, though, I have trouble sometimes as well. It might not be your computer. Perhaps a problem/restriction w/your ISP?

Hope you can get it fixed.

Best,

LJ
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I can't chat, either. I've tried, and it always just hangs up. :-?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Henke

Post by Henke »

Strange all this. There are people chatting so the server is definately not down. It's eighter my computer or some trouble with my ISP provider.
It's just on my computer though. Always when I'm at a (what do you call it? We call it after-party) somewhere else and I've got nothing better to do than drink ale and chat with you guys, it always works...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I had trouble getting into chat last night, and that may be why there were so many people chatting. I was getting in, so my name (four or five different forms of it) was there.

I have a problem if my web accelerator is turned on. When that happens, after clicking the "chat" link at the bottom of the forums page, I see the IRC "type here" box at the bottom, but it never shows me the conversation. If I type something, anyone in chat can see it, but I can't.

I've also had problems with the pop-up blocker being on.

And, several times this week, I had trouble just with the Chiffy link itself, I think. Last night, it told me a socket already existed.

Perhaps someone can provide the instructions for downloading and using IRC software? That might work better. I know a lot of the regulars in chat use that, but not the chiffy link.

There are usually people in chat from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. east-coast US time, and often an hour or two more on either end.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I got in as usual without any problem. There's a "backward" way to get into chat with mIRC, but it's been several years since I was walked through it and I don't have a clue how to set people up that way. (It's different than just clicking on "live chat" at the top of the C&F page.) Maybe somebody else remembers the routine.

Susan
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Yeah we did Susan. I looked back and mine doesn't work any more and I can't remember how we did it either. Too long ago....

NancyF
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Sigh. I can't get in today, either. It keeps telling me "open socket exists" or something like that.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Henke...a lot of us chatters use a free downloadable program called BersIRC 1.40. I get into the chatroom every night with no difficulty using the program. If you decide to download it the channel is #chiffy and the server is blizzard.pobox.com ( it might reset to something else which it sometimes does)
If you are on a mac this might not work so you would have to ask the mac users what they are using.
Good luck:)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've tried going to the chat several times and there's never anybody there. I guess I miss the peak times.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:I've tried going to the chat several times and there's never anybody there. I guess I miss the peak times.
The peak times usually begin around 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I've tried going to the chat several times and there's never anybody there. I guess I miss the peak times.
The peak times usually begin around 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
That explains it. I'm in bed by then. No wonder there's never anyone on at 5:00 AM. :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Moonlight wrote:Henke...a lot of us chatters use a free downloadable program called BersIRC 1.40. I get into the chatroom every night with no difficulty using the program. If you decide to download it the channel is #chiffy and the server is blizzard.pobox.com ( it might reset to something else which it sometimes does)
Downloaded the 2.2 version, but after typing in blizzard.pobox.com, it wants a password. Any clue what to do about that???
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Lambchop wrote:
Moonlight wrote:Henke...a lot of us chatters use a free downloadable program called BersIRC 1.40. I get into the chatroom every night with no difficulty using the program. If you decide to download it the channel is #chiffy and the server is blizzard.pobox.com ( it might reset to something else which it sometimes does)
Downloaded the 2.2 version, but after typing in blizzard.pobox.com, it wants a password. Any clue what to do about that???
We have stuck with the old 1.40 version because of problems with the newer versions of the program so far. Perhaps I will feel daring soon and give the latest a whirl and see what I can find out.

You might try irc.perl.org as the server. Blizzard stopped working properly for me some time back and the perl server did the trick for quite a while. Then I had problems with perl and went back to blizzard.
Alan
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Thank you, Alan.

But, what's the password?????