Hamilton F flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

talasiga wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:......and an F Flute is louder (better for playing with Horns) and plays in Eb same as an Alto Sax and it is louder and has more flats than a C Flute.
I don't understand your point here. An F flute is F G A Bb C D E F+.
There is no Eb here unless you cross finger or half hole it. Please explain.
Well your question has been answer before I got to it. Think of it this way the Pitch of the Flute is a full step lower than it is called by. A D Flute is a C insturment as a C is a C, but an F Flute is an Eb instrument because the C fingering on a D flute is an Eb on an F Flute. Horns are always like this a Trumpet is a Bb insturment so is a Tenor Sax, but an Alto Sax and a Triple Barreled (the most common for Pro use) French Horn are both Eb instruments. Essentially it will make me be able to read/play along with the Alto Sax as I know these guys are dot readers and as I can I might as well but I usually get tunes by ear.
norseman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by norseman »

norseman wrote:Doug, are you considering adding an F flute to the flutes you make? I have one of your G flutes that I really like.

Bob
I discovered an important tip: it helps to be awake when looking at someone's webpage and the list of flutes they make! I just somehow missed the F flute. :D
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jumbuk wrote:
talasiga wrote: I don't understand your point here. An F flute is F G A Bb C D E F+.
Your standard D flute can play both C and C# with cross-fingering for the natural. Ergo, an F flute can play both Eb and E with the same fingering as the D.
Yes, I know that already (for past 45 years or so - have you actually understood my post that you quoted) but he talked about playing stuff in Eb. This means either modes relative to Eb key signature or scales with Eb tonic.
Neither really applies to F flute capacity unless you play Lydian Mode with Eb tonic or Raag Maarwa with Eb tonic. Neither will be found in ITM or western european traditions (which are the traditions that, unfortunately, seem to predominate in discussions here about the global simple system flutes).

Of course major pentatonic with Eb would be great but most don't like using a cross fingered tonic. I tried to discuss some time ago because I do it and my summmary of the washout of that discursive attempt was more or less that I was a smart arse.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Unseen122 wrote: Well your question has been answer before I got to it. Think of it this way the Pitch of the Flute is a full step lower than it is called by. A D Flute is a C insturment as a C is a C, but an F Flute is an Eb instrument because the C fingering on a D flute is an Eb on an F Flute. Horns are always like this a Trumpet is a Bb insturment so is a Tenor Sax, but an Alto Sax and a Triple Barreled (the most common for Pro use) French Horn are both Eb instruments. Essentially it will make me be able to read/play along with the Alto Sax as I know these guys are dot readers and as I can I might as well but I usually get tunes by ear.
This is all meaningless for those of us who play SIMPLE SYSTEM FLUTES (unkeyed) which is what this forum is primarily about? I doubt whether Doug Tipple would make keyed F flutes or that Kything F flutes are keyed.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Unseen122 wrote:
talasiga wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:......and an F Flute is louder (better for playing with Horns) and plays in Eb same as an Alto Sax and it is louder and has more flats than a C Flute.
I don't understand your point here. An F flute is F G A Bb C D E F+.
Well your question has been answer before I got to it. Think of it this way the Pitch of the Flute is a full step lower than it is called by. A D Flute is a C insturment as a C is a C, but an F Flute is an Eb instrument because the C fingering on a D flute is an Eb on an F Flute. Horns are always like this a Trumpet is a Bb insturment so is a Tenor Sax, but an Alto Sax and a Triple Barreled (the most common for Pro use) French Horn are both Eb instruments. Essentially it will make me be able to read/play along with the Alto Sax as I know these guys are dot readers and as I can I might as well but I usually get tunes by ear.
This only really applies to classical music. If you told someone playing irish music you were playing a C flute, they'd grab their C whistle, or their C pipes, or tune their fiddle down a tone. In irish music nomenclature, the flute/whistle/pipes are called by their fundamental note. So a D flute is one that plays a D scale with no keys, an F flute is one that plays an F scale with no keys, etc, etc.

FWIW I prefer this nomenclature, because it actually makes sense to me, or at least, it makes almost no sense for a diatonic D whistle to be called a C whistle...

Also, maybe I hung out with the wrong crowd, but all the professional french horn players I ever met played F instruments. Technically F/Bb as they were double horns. But, I've also never heard of a Triple Barreled french horn.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Oh woe is me! My "F" is six key!

:lol: :lol:

(and not to be snide, it needeth a slide)
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Denny

Post by Denny »

Now Jack, you are not taking this seriously... :o

Avery has evoked the dreaded "classical" vs. trad key question, the saxophone and French horn...
...he is clearly inciting the good readers of the Flute Forum (subtitled: "The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.") and should take this topic to the Political and Other Controversial Topics Forum (subtitled "Enter at your own risk!")

talasiga didn't mention that pentatonic thing again did he? :wink:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

talasiga wrote:
Unseen122 wrote: Well your question has been answer before I got to it. Think of it this way the Pitch of the Flute is a full step lower than it is called by. A D Flute is a C insturment as a C is a C, but an F Flute is an Eb instrument because the C fingering on a D flute is an Eb on an F Flute. Horns are always like this a Trumpet is a Bb insturment so is a Tenor Sax, but an Alto Sax and a Triple Barreled (the most common for Pro use) French Horn are both Eb instruments. Essentially it will make me be able to read/play along with the Alto Sax as I know these guys are dot readers and as I can I might as well but I usually get tunes by ear.
This is all meaningless for those of us who play SIMPLE SYSTEM FLUTES (unkeyed) which is what this forum is primarily about? I doubt whether Doug Tipple would make keyed F flutes or that Kything F flutes are keyed.
That is what I am talking about. My Kything has no keys. See us Irish Flute players call a diatonic FLute in D a D Flute, but it plays at the written or said pitch making a C a C on an F Flute a C is really an Eb that is why it is an Eb insturment. This is how I think of it you may want to think of it differently but to me an F Flute is an Eb instrument you can call it an F insturment all you want as it plays an F scale the easiest.

Nico, I am refering to a triple horn. A Horn playing friend of mine told me that most Pros use a Triple Horn, but most people stick with the F Horns I guess. As I said I did not trade for my F Flute to play ITM I tradxed for it to play Jazz.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

talasiga wrote: Yes, I know that already (for past 45 years or so - have you actually understood my post that you quoted) but he talked about playing stuff in Eb. This means either modes relative to Eb key signature or scales with Eb tonic.
Of course major pentatonic with Eb would be great but most don't like using a cross fingered tonic. I tried to discuss some time ago because I do it and my summmary of the washout of that discursive attempt was more or less that I was a smart arse.
Sorry mate, didn't mean to insult your intelligence!

Personally, I don't see a problem with a cross-fingered tonic. Like everything else, it seems a pain until you find a tune that you really want to play in that mode, then suddenly it becomes manageable.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Oh woe is me! My "F" is six key!

:lol: :lol:

(and not to be snide, it needeth a slide)
Darling Jackass (because you're laughing - no real nastiness meant)

An unkeyed flute is not a flute with no keys
whereas a keyed flute is one with all or some keys that need a KEY TO PLAY the keys.
See?

:P

Harmonically speaking your F flute has only 5 keynotes because your so-called 6th "key", the
OOO OOO note, begins a mode of scale that does not harmonically support it as a tonic. The Locrian Mode is diatonic in terms of interval relationships but is fundamentally anti-tonic or anti-keynote if you like.
It is impossible to resolve at its "keynote". It will always tend to resolve at the relative Phrygian tonic here XXX XOO.

Most of these topics here should be in a Locrian Forum moderated by the D's advocate.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, fascinating though this is . . . back to the crucial question . . . does anybody know the seller, who just registered a few days ago, and what's the estimate on how safe it would be to buy a Hammy F flute from him, regardless of what use a Hammy F flute would be to anyone who might or might not want to buy it?

And where is this seller located, and under what conditions has this flute been kept?

Oh, and how do you convert Hammy's current price to get $798? The conversion thingy didn't end up quite there for me . . .
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Length of F flute?

Post by Gaaslaj »

Just out of curiosity, how long would a flute in the key of F be? Thanks! John G.
talasiga

Re: Length of F flute?

Post by talasiga »

Gaaslaj wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long would a flute in the key of F be? Thanks! John G.
That would depend on
* how long the particular flute is, but, if you're talking (more precisely) about the length between the mouth hole and the top digit hole, it would depend on
* which F yer talkin about, see?

For instance,
how big is a C flute?
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Which F?

Post by Gaaslaj »

I didn't know there were different types of simple system flutes in the key of F natural? Say, if I was looking for a fluteo n Ebay, what length would I look for? Then there's the high piitch and low pitch dilema. I would not be trying to play with someone else with an F nat flute. Well, unless they have an F nat whistle(I've got a Generation, sweet little thing), J.
mr. steve

Seller information and more about the F

Post by mr. steve »

I have sold flutes and whistles through the forum in the past. I have changed email addresses and don't recall my previous user name. I live in Chico, CA. I have sold a low D brass Copeland, a few Sweatheart whistles and a fife, and I believe I sold some Sindts. Dale Wisely knows me as well as a person can after 10 or so years of irregular email correspondence. All past transactions have gone well for everyone involved. You can check my website www.stevengrahn.com to learn a bit more about me.
The F flute is about 22" long. It is in perfect condition. I find it fun to play when I am not concerned about what key I'm in; as in playing by myself.
I am willing to accept reasonable offers. I am interested in trading for a comparable flute in the key of C.
Please let me know if there are other questions I can answer.
Regards, Steven