With Delrin, Composite, Laminate, etc. - Why Wood?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

With Delrin, Composite, Laminate, etc. - Why Wood?

Post by dfernandez77 »

Delrin, Composite, Laminate - Why Wood?

Even though a good wood whistle sounds fantastic, there are many people who decide they don't want one because they are concerned about caring for it. That's why it took me a long time to get a wood whistle.

I have a composite whistle and a laminate whistle, they have a tone similar to wood. So why real wood? Well, I liked my Water Weasel so much I was considering a Thin Weasel for some time.

Eventually I broke down and bought a Soprano D Thin Weasel in African Blackwood. I've had it for some time now and this whistle has become my favorite. I play at least one tune on it every day. I often use it to learn new tunes because it plays so nice. I swab it when I finish playing it, I wipe it with a lightly oiled cloth and put it away. I oil the bore about every two weeks.

Sure it's extra effort, but it just seems to get more beautiful with time.

So - other than the great sound - why get a real wood whistle? You will develop a relationship with a real wood whistle that makes the extra expense and effort quite worth it. You feed it, you care for it, you play it - it changes and responds - it's like a puppy without the poop thing going on.

Enough praise, let me show you how beautiful African Blackwood gets when you give it a little time and attention.

Soprano D Thin Weasel next to it's little brother High G:

Tuning Slide and woodgrain detail:

Finger Holes and Bore detail:

Oh! Let me assure you that it's ok to take photos of whistles. I like taking pics, and I have no girlfriend - so I need to take pics of something beautiful.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Put simply:

WOOD ROCKS!

Rose in Blackwood missing from above pic:

( again, with sincerest :P appologies to Tommy :twisted: )
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think asking "why wood?" is akin to asking "why gold?" Aside from its acoustic properties and appearance, wood just seems... genuine.
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

With wood, no two whistles are exactly the same-- the grain and color vary from piece to piece. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes dramatic. The grain of wood tells the story of the tree that the piece is a part of. Environmental conditions, accidents etc effect the wood and show up in the form of knots, whorls and healed cracks.
Wood also has a wonderful feel to it, and sometimes its own unique aroma.
Wood has tremendous historical precedent in instrument making. They don't call them woodwinds for nothing...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think the above have summed it up nicely. With a wooden whistle you develop a relationship. And, with each piece of wood having its own personality, a maker has to pay extra attention to detail, which shows in the end product.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Walden wrote:I think asking "why wood?" is akin to asking "why gold?" Aside from its acoustic properties and appearance, wood just seems... genuine.
I'm a silver person myself. Tis far far more beautiful than gold.
brewerpaul wrote:They don't call them woodwinds for nothing...
Perhaps it's cause they didn't have plastic back then. :D

?
scheky

Post by scheky »

How about why NOT wood?

For me, it's simply not an option. Allergies to Delrin are a lot more rare than allergies to wood.

Some nice pics though.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

In addition to all the excellent reasons already given in favor of wood, I'll add that wood might also give you the opportunity to have a true family heirloom whistle (or two).
These beautiful instruments have a lovely sound and a depth of shimmer in the grain that doesn't show in the photo. They are fine whistles, crafted by Paul Busman, and made of wood from a 100+ year old ironwood tree which grew on the North Carolina mountain where my granddad grew up and my dad was born and raised. That tree grew up with my granddad, and it watched my dad (and my aunts and uncles) grow up. It's a connection I'll never have to a plastic whistle.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
andymac

Post by andymac »

I have a low D hand crafted from a leg off a brass bed I was conceived on - with a mouthpiece handcarved from my late Father's pacemaker...you never get that sort of connection with a wooden whistle
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

andymac wrote:... with a mouthpiece handcarved from my late Father's pacemaker...
Okay, that's creepin' me out.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

jsluder wrote:
andymac wrote:... with a mouthpiece handcarved from my late Father's pacemaker...
Okay, that's creepin' me out.
More than his avatar?

It was crackin' me up. :P
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

jsluder wrote:In addition to all the excellent reasons already given in favor of wood, I'll add that wood might also give you the opportunity to have a true family heirloom whistle (or two).
Oh! By the way - pretty whistles!
Daniel

Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

jsluder wrote:That tree grew up with my granddad, and it watched my dad (and my aunts and uncles) grow up.
How did the tree die?

?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Screeeech!!! wrote:
jsluder wrote:That tree grew up with my granddad, and it watched my dad (and my aunts and uncles) grow up.
How did the tree die?
Death by chainsaw.

My dad and uncles leased the land to a Christmas tree farmer, and he needed to widen the road up the mountain. (Calling it a "road" is being generous.) Unfortunately, that particular ironwood tree was too close to the road for its own good. :( One of my uncles managed to salvage several good-sized logs off of it, though.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

andymac wrote:I have a low D hand crafted from a leg off a brass bed I was conceived on - with a mouthpiece handcarved from my late Father's pacemaker...you never get that sort of connection with a wooden whistle
Way to go! All of my conducting batons are from a Eucalypt that my late grandfather planted. The tree also passed on, but cuttings from it are growing nicely in my yard right now.

I have a dozen nice big blanks left, so in the next decade or so, I'll make myself some instruments. If I have to impregnate it with resin (it's not the most stable stuff, even dry), then I will.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.