tricks for warming whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lisdoonvarna
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tricks for warming whistles?

Post by lisdoonvarna »

I'm looking for some ideas on keeping whistles warmed up during performances so they don't clog. I'm not keen on putting soap or solutions in the windway. If the whistles start to clog some I've learned to suck out moisture with my in breath and I don't want to get soap in my mouth. I switch instruments a lot during performances and when I pick up the all metal whistles like the Chieftain low d and low f I try to warm them up the best I can by holding the fipple in my hand or against my neck. It takes too long especially when in a cool setting. (I live in Minnesota!) I once saw Aodh Og O'Tuama from 4 Shillings Short set his whistles on an electric heating pad when not in use. Any other ideas either to keep them warm or to warm them up quickly?
Pat
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I've seen Brian Finnegan from Flook walk on stage with a whistle sticking out of his back pocket!

I've used a cup of tea on several occassions to warm a whistle - just be careful it isn't too hot,
or the shrill noise won't be coming from the whistle :lol:

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Celtic983
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Celtic983 »

This still may not be fast enough, but I have found that breathing in the bell in rather than the fipple end to warm it up works pretty good. However, this works in Texas....it might not work nearly as well in Minnesota where you have to play with gloves on. In Minnesota...your only option might be a welding torch :wink: :lol:
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

When I'm playing, I generally tuck metal whistles that aren't in use either under my arm (since that's warm enough to take a temperature from), or under my leg so that I'm sitting on the whistle. Under the leg is more convenient, but doesn't keep the whistle as warm.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Seems like the heating pad woluld be good for several whistles, if it has a tempature control?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

I also use a heating pad & a towel for my metal whistles when we play during the cooler months.
BAR
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I was thinking a pocket added to the lower leg of the pants would be long enough and keep them close enough to the body for warmth, extra close and handy.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What would Mae West say?
Screeeech!!!

Re: tricks for warming whistles?

Post by Screeeech!!! »

lisdoonvarna wrote:I'm not keen on putting soap or solutions in the windway. If the whistles start to clog some I've learned to suck out moisture with my in breath and I don't want to get soap in my mouth
If you use Ecover they won't clog so there won't be any need to suck.

Another idea... I was looking at a baroque flute/r*******r site yesterday and they were selling bags that had a slot to put a hot water bottle in to keep them warm.

?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tommy wrote:What would Mae West say?
Something 'interesting', I'm sure! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
WhistlinBob

warmth

Post by WhistlinBob »

they sell heating pads filled with cracked corn you just pop it in the nuke and they stay warm for quite a while also they have gel packs to keep food warm I think corning ware sells them
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
lisdoonvarna

water bottles, gel and corn packs

Post by lisdoonvarna »

There are some great ideas above. Some I can't use. I can't sit on the whistle since we stand when we play. The hot tea I will surely spill on something electronic and I don't like tea. The problem I see with the non electric heating items is that they have to be warmed up before I leave home which with travel and set up time can be two hours before the performance starts so the preheated stuff may be all cooled down by the end of the show ( five hours from heating). Especially in winter here everything gets cooled quickly with loading/unloading. I'm liking the heating pad with a towel idea the best so far though I'd like something a bit smaller and classy looking.
Pat
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Message to screech.
The Christmas tree business is actually good for earth's ecology. Growing them pulls carbon out of the atmosphere. As long as they are turned into mulch or placed in landfills, that carbon is out for some time. Burning them, of course, brings everything back to square one.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

anniemcu wrote:
Tommy wrote:What would Mae West say?
Something 'interesting', I'm sure! :lol:

Good answer. :lol:

How about a whistle bag with a pocket for a heating pad? Oh, and it will need a cover for the cord.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Message to screech.
The Christmas tree business is actually good for earth's ecology. Growing them pulls carbon out of the atmosphere. As long as they are turned into mulch or placed in landfills, that carbon is out for some time. Burning them, of course, brings everything back to square one.
I think you forget that those plantations were actually planted on virgin native forest land that contained far more carbon.

The spruce plantations are of absolutely no use to our native wildlife, fungi or wildflowers. They just destroy everything that is beautiful. And for what?

All i see when i look around is a planet on the brink of disaster because the natural native species are struggling to survive. Replaced by selfish money making spruce farms that give no consideration to the natural environment and order whatsoever.

Trees are for life, and life belongs to Nature. Keep taking from Her and you will regret it.

?