A Tune from The Quiet Man starring John Wayne

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IrelandsRose
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: That place between asleep and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born

A Tune from The Quiet Man starring John Wayne

Post by IrelandsRose »

Hello all,

I am trying to find out what the name of a certain tune is that's found in the movie The Quiet Man. When Sean goes to retrieve his wife from the train station, Mickaleen O'Finn ( I know I probably spelled his name wrong ..sorry) is sitting on the steps to Sean's cottage humming an Irish tune. I don't know what it is though. I thought that others who had seen this movie might know what it is. If anybody knows and could tell me that would be so great, ..... I won't have to lay awake at night anymore thinking about it lol.

THANKS!!
Rose :o
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Check here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 3?v=glance

Scroll down to see the songs on the soundtrack, with samples you can listen to.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The tune through that scene is Rakes of Mallow, if memory serves.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

blackhawk wrote:The tune through that scene is Rakes of Mallow, if memory serves.
And a foine tune it is!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I know some of you think it's trite, but I love that movie and Trooper Thornton and his usual gang as well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Ah yes, The Quiet Man... Dubhlinn's favorite movie! :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

PhilO wrote:I know some of you think it's trite, but I love that movie and Trooper Thornton and his usual gang as well.

Philo
Actually my wife and I watched it Saturday night. It's a sweet movie. We saw it last year in Glendalough at a B&B there. They had no television reception but they had a closet full of movies and a VCR. My wife had never seen it before so I finally got her to watch it with me. Now it brings back wonderful memories of her first time in Ireland and a cozy little B&B with the rainy wind howling outside, and The Quiet Man charming us.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
IrelandsRose
Location: That place between asleep and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born

Post by IrelandsRose »

Thank you all for the help......Ahhhhh now me moind can rest atease........at least on that riddle ...lol Now the riddle of the crans heh heh

Must.....buy....more...WHISTLES :o :boggle: :o
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Philo
Actually my wife and I watched it Saturday night. It's a sweet movie. We saw it last year in Glendalough at a B&B there. They had no television reception but they had a closet full of movies and a VCR. My wife had never seen it before so I finally got her to watch it with me. Now it brings back wonderful memories of her first time in Ireland and a cozy little B&B with the rainy wind howling outside, and The Quiet Man charming us.
Years ago, I was traveling across Ireland by train reading 'Seek the Fair Land' by Walter Macken (I think) which is about some refugees of Cromwell's destruction of Drogheda and their flight across the country to Donegal, if I recall. Very intense, gut-wrenching book, nothing like The Quiet Man.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”

Post by Guest »

Is this movie worth a watch?, the fact that John Waynes in it sort of hinders me. He never struck me as a true Irish boy-o.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:Philo
Years ago, I was traveling across Ireland by train reading 'Seek the Fair Land' by Walter Macken (I think) which is about some refugees of Cromwell's destruction of Drogheda and their flight across the country to Donegal, if I recall. Very intense, gut-wrenching book, nothing like The Quiet Man.
Tony
I picked up that book last year at the Rock of Cashel. It's now one of my favorite books, although that whole trilogy is excellent. The first one is the best, though, by far. And you're right, nothing like the Quiet Man.

--Plato
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

FenianForFreedom wrote:Is this movie worth a watch?, the fact that John Waynes in it sort of hinders me. He never struck me as a true Irish boy-o.
Depends. The Quiet Man is probably about as Irish as Brigadoon is Scottish. But if you can get past the stereotypes and just enjoy the tales, they're both fun movies.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."