Reinventing myself or, am I nuts?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

brewerpaul wrote:
brianormond wrote:-Kudos to you both for the foresight, awareness & imagination to see more satisfying roles for yourselves, and for the gumption, energy and enterprise to pursue them.
I can thank my wife for that. Before I knew Charlene, I probably would have stuck with my current job, grumbling all the way,despite the fact that it was slowly driving me nutz. Char has no sympathy for inertia and thankfully I'm starting to pick up a bit of her attitude.
Your wife Charlene (yay, she spells her name correctly! :) ) is a lot different than me then. I tend to stay in situations I hate, grumbling and moaning more and more until something really gets me po'd, then I blow up.

Best of luck to you. I'm jealous - I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up - and I'll be 51 next month.
Charlene
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Charlene wrote:
Your wife Charlene (yay, she spells her name correctly! :)
There's another way to spell it?

Robin
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
Charlene wrote:
Your wife Charlene (yay, she spells her name correctly! :)
There's another way to spell it?

Robin
I've seen (and had my name misspelled as):

Charleen
Sharleen
Sharlene
Charlene
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Good for you Paul!
Do what makes you happy!

Nurses are the oft unsung footsoldiers of the medical proffession; there's plenty of honor in that.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

Gee, I though podiatrists were the foot soldiers. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Gee, I though podiatrists were the foot soldiers. :D

djm
Naw, they're the ones that get after the foot soldiers when they go off to war without their shoes! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Speaking as someone who started at the bottom 32 years ago and moved steadily sideways I would just like to say "Yay! Go for it!". :)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

It is an unjust world when whistles alone don't pay all of Paul's bills. We, as a community, must work to rectify this. :wink:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Craig Stuntz wrote:It is an unjust world when whistles alone don't pay all of Paul's bills. We, as a community, must work to rectify this. :wink:
Hey, I've done my part. :lol:

John
Happy owner of 3 (and purchaser of 5) Busman whistles.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I think it's great that you're taking the reigns and making a choice for your future.

BTW, who was it that said Paramedic had good pay???? Not in Michigan. Paramedics barely make poverty wage in Michigan. That's why I quit the program.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Reinventing a career is always a good thing to do. I'm a mechanical engineer by schooling, but have done systems ( talk about a sideways step), field work and testing. I like to change directions every 5-7 years so I'm way overdue this time. I think of it as a way to clean out your file drawers and get rid of stuff.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

For months now, I've been seriously considering leaving my [relatively] high-paying job as a software quality control engineer to become a high school music teacher.
The long-and-short of it is I'm spending 9 hours a day glued to a computer, when all I think about all day is music (hence, I'm here, writing), and that is truly where my passion lies.
Problem is, it will take at least 2 years almost full-time schooling to get the degree I need, and the career change will net me just about a 50% pay cut.

But - what price my soul?

Encouragement, please!

(Keep in mind, I have a self-employed wife, 2 young children, a mortgage, credit-card bills, etc.)

Am I crazy or what?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
emmline

Post by emmline »

fyffer wrote: But - what price my soul?
Hmmm...I'm wondering how your soul will feel after 30 hours a week of
high school kids.
(wait...I'm supposed to be encouraging...yeah! Go for it! Teens are an utter and unfettered source of joy! Sometimes.)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I personally think you should be a.....lumberjack. Winging your way through the mighty forests of British Columbia. The mighty larch, the Scots pine......etc.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
djm

Post by djm »

fyffer wrote:But - what price my soul?
`
What price? How about your family, or the responsibility for the debt load you have taken on? If you are making that much money now, you'd be better of clearing your debts first with that big paycheck (including the mortgage), and then allowing yourself the time to go back to school. That way no-one else pays for your self-indulgence and you meet your obligations at the same time. Win-win for everyone. So what if it takes a few more years?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.