Whistles From Santa

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wilsing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles From Santa

Post by Wilsing »

I was just sitting here thinking, what whistle would the members of Chiff

and Fipple ask Santa to bring them as a gift this year?

Hmmm? What whistle would YOU ask Santa to bring you? Now lets

see... Were you naughty or nice? What whistle would YOU ask for???

James

A Stor Mo Chroi
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Sorry to tell you this, but Santa isn't real. :o

Honest.

?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Well, since I'm getting (already have, actually) and Abell C/D/Eb set for Christmas, I think I'd ask for a low D. I don't own one, and I think it's about time. Perhaps an Overton? Copeland? I really have no idea where to begin. Perhaps I should start another thread called, "What low D would Congratulations like?"

Hmm...
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
ned o the hill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Michael Burke is "in the house"

Post by ned o the hill »

Thanks to some astute (though some would use a differing phonetic iteration of that to describe my playing :oops:) bidding on eBay, Santa brought me a mint condition Burke Viper Pro.

As I told Mike in an FYI e-mail, the whistle's haunting tone sounds like a moaning bean sí. Feels like it's pounds lighter than my brass Howard and fingers like a dream. Can you tell I'm excited?
:lol:
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Not a whistle, but Santa got me a von Huene A. Grenser copy Baroque flute. I think I'll have Santa wrap it up (it came a couple of months ago), although I'm not sure Santa will be wrapping my wife's serger, which came about 4 months ago.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Screeeech!!! wrote:Sorry to tell you this, but Santa isn't real. :o

Honest.
I got to agree with Screeeech!!! on this one. I myself happen to be Jewish, but if I was going to ask for a Whistle it would have to be a Lon Dubh or an Abell as I have always wanted to try a Lon Dubh and the Abell I once tryed was great.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

An Abell Low G...unless anyone thinks that one of Santa's elves might be able to figure out how to make an Abell low D! No? No...probably not. The low G then!
steggy

christmas whistle

Post by steggy »

I have gone for whistles this xmas. i have received a set of Mr O'Brien's( Canada) handmade whistles, howver these have been intercepted by Mrs Steggy and hidden until the big day. i am itching to get my fingers on em and very excited.

i am also looking for a soprano overton d for my birthday but my dealer( god i'm weak) tells me that they are no longer being made. any second hand ones out there , i'll probably pick up a susato at some point too.

that said it was great to see spider stacey of the pogues laying the law down with a generation ( cheap and when they are right very cheerful indeed), must not forget our roots.

love for solstice and xmas , steggy
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Congratulations wrote:I think I'd ask for a low D. I don't own one, and I think it's about time.
Same here Congrats! :thumbsup:
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

chas wrote:Not a whistle, but Santa got me a von Huene A. Grenser copy Baroque flute. I think I'll have Santa wrap it up (it came a couple of months ago), although I'm not sure Santa will be wrapping my wife's serger, which came about 4 months ago.
Ooh-- Von Huene makes wonderful stuff. I have one of their Rippert alto recorders. Is Loren still working there?

Do you plan to play Trad music on this, or just baroque? Actually, by his dates O'Carolan qualifies as a Baroque composer, I think...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote:
chas wrote:Not a whistle, but Santa got me a von Huene A. Grenser copy Baroque flute. I think I'll have Santa wrap it up (it came a couple of months ago), although I'm not sure Santa will be wrapping my wife's serger, which came about 4 months ago.
Ooh-- Von Huene makes wonderful stuff. I have one of their Rippert alto recorders. Is Loren still working there?

Do you plan to play Trad music on this, or just baroque? Actually, by his dates O'Carolan qualifies as a Baroque composer, I think...
Loren is still there; he helped broker this deal with one of his co-workers. The flute plays beautifully -- it's a pretty faithful facsimile, but has a couple of tweaks. One is a very slightly elliptical embouchure, the other is that the F# is slightly flattened in order to make the Fnat a little more in tune.

I'm playing almost exclusively O'Carolan on it. I worked on several Laments last night after seeing Helicon's 20th annual solstice concert. (Chris Norman, Ken Kolodner, and Robin Bullock, an absolutely amazing collection of musicians.) I picked up a tape that has Chris playing Squire Wood's Lamentation, so I got out the O'Carolan book. The other four laments on that page are all in Eflat or F. I'd been playing transposed versions of them, and THEY DON'T SOUND THE SAME TRANSPOSED!!! They sound much better in their native keys, plus it gets me practicing the flats and one also has accidentals.

It's a blast. I'm enjoying the one-key a lot more than any multi-key flutes, but that may really be the quality of the instrument rather than the mechanics of playing it or the appropriateness of it for the music.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
whistlekin

Post by whistlekin »

What you mean Santa Aint real!?!?! crazy folk round here.

I would go for a Burke Narrow Bore Aluminum D!!!...and a new garage door opener.

Merry Christmas to all!

-W
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Oh, Santa is real alright. You people just don't see him around much because he plays recorders!
Last edited by canpiper on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I have a twist on it... I got to play Santa a bit by doing the bidding on a Thin Weasel for a friend who dearly wanted it for Christmas, and I didn't have to use my money... her hubby is paying for it. I love it! (Of course, I might have loved it more if it was for me, heehee)... but hey... surrogate Santa is a good thing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I need Santa's help in convincing the person I am borrowing an O'Riordan set from to trade for it!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus