Reinventing myself or, am I nuts?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Paul, you'd be surprised how many physicians, veterinarians, pharmacists, and podistrists switch careers and for the same reasons you are.

I needed to make a switch from laboratory medicine and research (I was allergic to it and there were no jobs and those that were there paid zilch) to . . . anything. I already knew I disliked patient care, but I'm obsessively detail-oriented, able to recall vast quantities of esoteric facts and use heaping stacks of reference materials, and delight in figuring out ways to get things to happen . . . so I now specialize in getting doctors paid for what they do. Yup, all that stuff that's taken the fun out of feet for you. Only, I work for a Big Giant Healthcare System, where my little contribution to the cause takes 8 hours a day and returns a decent paycheck no matter what.

I also teach the stuff. Remember that colleges need instructors to have advanced degrees in order to teach, so if you already have one and most people in the profession do not, they just light up when they see you. Small colleges always seem to be looking for people to teach a class or two.

The only problem I have encountered is that there is discrimination against those who are seen to be "overqualified." It was initially difficult for me to get low-level jobs because of that, but now that I'm higher up it's an advantage. If you're overqualified, I recommend not making an issue of it, because there can be resentment.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Is there a way to make your medical practice
livable? Or more so? I know physicians who have
managed to do this, complaining initially about
the difficulties you mentioned. You must be
a pretty good podiatrist by now, you love
patient care--perhaps you can do more good
ultimately as a podiatrist--if you do some problem
solving. I'm not so sure things will be that much
happier as a nurse, and you may be a better
podiatrist than you will be a nurse.

Also can't you make enough money as a podiatrist
to move to sunnier climes by retiring?
Nothing the matter with the nursing degree, it will
give you options,
but that doesn't commit you to being one.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

If you really want to go into nursing, by all means do it. If, however, you really like podiatry and hate running an office, maybe you could find a position (possibly even part-time, if there is such a thing) in a group clinic, or even a hospital, where you wouldn't be solely responsible for running the place. This could be a very viable option if you were to find the right situation. Even if the pay was less than you make now, it would still be more than you would make as a nurse. Another option might be to hire an outside service to handle some of the more burdensome tasks for you.

I have some concerns about nursing...there isn't a nursing shortage for nothing. Most places are cutting back on nursing staff to make up for financial shortfalls, leaving nurses overburdened with patients, among other things. Of course, as a physician, I'm sure you have thought about all of this and know a lot more about the ins and outs than I do. I also know how tempting it is to cut and run when job stuff isn't going the way it's supposed to. Just make sure you explore all of your options before making the leap.

Best of luck!
Robin
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

ErikT wrote:p.s.
Funny foot story: my wife finds feet SO disgusting that she has a deal with her current partner that her partner will do all nail removal surgeries if my wife drains all pus-filled absess located anywhere else in the body.
Do you want to make a poll out of this, Erik? :P
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, here's a thought. Have you considered working for the VA? There are 8 huge medical centers in Florida alone. The fastest growing ones are in sunny climes. You can work in any of them in any state if you're licensed in at least one state, because it's federal.

You'd get to do podiatry without one iota of the practice management mess. Forty-hour work weeks.

The VA is not like what you may have seen in movies, by the way. It's a very nice place to work, in fact. Some VAs are extremely nice. A lot of physicians who are bummed out on the practice-management aspect move to the VA.
1/31/2006 Staff Podiatrist
Position is located in Surgical Service at the VAMC, Providence, RI. ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#: 06-20
Who May Apply: Public
Pay Plan: VM-0668-GS-15/GS-15
Appointment Term: Permanent
Job Status: Part-Time
Opening Date: 11/23/2005
Salary: From 89,625.00 to 116,517.00 USD per year
www.usajobs.com
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

chas wrote:
ErikT wrote:p.s.
Funny foot story: my wife finds feet SO disgusting that she has a deal with her current partner that her partner will do all nail removal surgeries if my wife drains all pus-filled absess located anywhere else in the body.
Do you want to make a poll out of this, Erik? :P
Yeah, I suppose you're right. At least it was on topic, though :) So maybe we're not talking "funny ha ha", but maybe in a "funnyhowsomepeoplelikefeetandothersdont" way.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I know you have made your decision, but what about becoming a PA?

Nurses I have observed recently spend an inordinate amount of time charting/documenting, leaving themselves with much less time for true patient care. They are often the target of rude arrogant MD's (I should know, I work for a group of those) particularly when things go "wrong". There is a definate pecking order in nursedom, if that bothers you (it would me). The hospitals I work in are understaffed, the nurses have a huge workload and very little, if no, assistance from support staff. In fact one of the hospitals I work at recently let all the LVN's go (to "cut costs") and each nurse now cares for 5 pts solo. That's a lot to handle.
Yes, compensation can be good, and it is nice to know that you can relocate and still work. I think that is very much one of nursing's advantages. But the good still needs to outweigh the "bad".

Mary
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: They are often the target of rude arrogant MD's (I should know, I work for a group of those) particularly when things go "wrong".
That's the first thing i thought of... after 28 years in practice as a DPM, do you really want to get bossed around by somebody who just graduated med school?
there is no end to the walking
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

rh wrote:......

That's the first thing i thought of... after 28 years in practice as a DPM, do you really want to get bossed around by somebody who just graduated med school?
There is nothing wrong with being bossed around if the issues are harmless. Graduation has nothing to do it. I think its more about animal magnetism.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I know you have made your decision, but what about becoming a PA?

Nurses I have observed recently spend an inordinate amount of time charting/documenting, leaving themselves with much less time for true patient care. They are often the target of rude arrogant MD's (I should know, I work for a group of those) particularly when things go "wrong". There is a definate pecking order in nursedom, if that bothers you (it would me). The hospitals I work in are understaffed, the nurses have a huge workload and very little, if no, assistance from support staff. In fact one of the hospitals I work at recently let all the LVN's go (to "cut costs") and each nurse now cares for 5 pts solo. That's a lot to handle.
Yes, compensation can be good, and it is nice to know that you can relocate and still work. I think that is very much one of nursing's advantages. But the good still needs to outweigh the "bad".

Mary
Those are the reasons why I, personally, would not work in a hospital as a nurse no matter how much you pay me. But I love working in Public Health - yeah, there's still paperwork and writing grants (yech!) but I'm pretty independent and rarely have to deal with doctors. (And when I do I'm usually telling them what they need to do :) ) The pay isn't nearly as good as a hospital, but there are much more important things than pay.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Still not sure what field I want to go into. I will still be running my practice and maintaining my license. Who knows? When I graduate, I may be able to market myself to an Orthopedic practice, where I could still do some of the more basic foot cases that come through the door, nail surgeries, etc as well as assisting with Ortho cases, which I have a pretty sound knowledge of.
I don't really see myself as a floor nurse longterm. Home care is a possibility. I forgot to mention it, but my wife is taking a BS-RN program right now and will go on to either NP or Nurse Anesthetist afterwards. Conceivably, we could end up working together. If we move to a more rural area, she could set up her own practice as an NP and work semi-autonomously. Lots and lots of options.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The PA suggestion is a good one, too, Paul. You'd have a good niche as a surgical PA, although the hours might be annoying. You'd still be in the middle of that practice management stuff.

But, you know, after thinking about this all night, my opinion is that you should go for the first VA podiatrist position that comes available in a sunny clime. No retraining required!

Almost all veterans have feet, and the ones who do often have special foot problems related to things like frostbite, immersion foot, and POW internment. Not to mention bunions, hammertoes and bone spurs, diabetes . . . you'd be in podiatrist heaven.

Your country needs you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I dunno, Paul. Tyghre still worries about your choice. I personally think your previous career consideration was better ;-)

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Kudos to you both for the foresight, awareness & imagination to see more satisfying roles for yourselves, and for the gumption, energy and enterprise to pursue them.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

brianormond wrote:-Kudos to you both for the foresight, awareness & imagination to see more satisfying roles for yourselves, and for the gumption, energy and enterprise to pursue them.
I can thank my wife for that. Before I knew Charlene, I probably would have stuck with my current job, grumbling all the way,despite the fact that it was slowly driving me nutz. Char has no sympathy for inertia and thankfully I'm starting to pick up a bit of her attitude.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!