Basic html editor

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Basic html editor

Post by burnsbyrne »

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good, basic html editor? Freeware would be the best. Thanks
Mike
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I found this on a Google search

http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

I've never used it. My simple HTML editor is Notepad.
Oh, Textpad is even better. That's downloadable but not free.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
mukade

Post by mukade »

For Windows users HTML-kit is a very nice code editor.
Alternatively, NVU is a WYSIWYG web authoring package for Windows, Linux and Mac systems.

Both programs are freeware.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

http://www.nvu.com/

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Flydood, I did the Google search, too. Too many choices! I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend an editor that they have used and found to be good.
Mike
carrie

Post by carrie »

It's been a long time since I worked on web development but I used to really like HomeSite. I much prefered the hand coding to the programs that did it for you.

Carol
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I use Note Tab Light at http://www.notetab.com and have been happy with it for years. Totally free and easy to use.
djm

Post by djm »

If you know your HTML coding there is no reason not to use the basic text editor on your system, e.g. vi on xNIX, or NotePad on windows.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

djm wrote:If you know your HTML coding there is no reason not to use the basic text editor on your system, e.g. vi on xNIX, or NotePad on windows.
I was going to be a jerk and just say "Notepad", which is just the kind
of smart-arsed answer I'd expect from you, djm. You let me down. :)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I used notepad for my site..always have ;)

that said, I really can't beat the speed at which Visual Studio lets me bang out mockups at work, so I understand the desire to use a WYSIWYG editor...I just wish they made one that I didn't have to clean up the code afterwards
djm

Post by djm »

fearfaoin wrote:I was going to be a jerk and just say "Notepad", which is just the kind of smart-arsed answer I'd expect from you, djm. You let me down.
I don't know what is smart-arsed about using NotePad. I use it on Windows all the time for HTML. The only smart-arsed reply I have seen on this thread is your own.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

djm wrote: I don't know what is smart-arsed about using NotePad. I use it on Windows all the time for HTML. The only smart-arsed reply I have seen on this thread is your own.
djm
If you you want a "simple HTML editor" to create a simple web page or edit an excisting one I'm with djm. No need to download any bundled software for web creation.
However, notepad is not a very good idea as it is not a plain texteditor, and you might run into trouble if you need to upload your code to a Unix or linux server.
Personally I wouldn't waste time with a texteditor without line numbering and syntax highlighting, as it simplifies the editing process and speeds up any debugging.
I use a nice little text editor called Crimson for almost every editing task on my windows system. It is free and you can ad syntaxes for most things you'll need.

Here is a link:
http://www.crimsoneditor.com

If you want to do more with your webpage and are willing to put in a few hours and really learn something usefull. There is nothing out there better and more powerfull than Typo3 in my opinion, and it is 100% free.
If you go through the "Getting started guide" in a few hours you will end up with a nice little website and the basic skills for some very powerfull webdevelopment in the future.

If you are interested in webdevelopment and want to create websites for others that are very easy to administrate and update typo3 is it!

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have the feeling that many of my fellow Chiffers are either professional or amateur programmers. For example: "I used notepad for my site..always have." Now, the only thing I know how to do with notepad is...well...write notes. I can write notes in Italian, French, Spanish, German, oh and English with varying fluency and accuracy. But I have no idea how one would write notes in the HTML language. It seems that some people out there are fluent in the languages that computers understand and can speak to them more or less directly. I have tried talking to my computer and never got a response. Of course, that may be because most of the words I have uttered to the computer were of the four-letter variety.

I think I could sit in front of my computer with Notepad running for possibly weeks without a web site appearing. My copy just doesn't work that way. Maybe I should write a letter to Microsoft and tell them I want an upgrade to the version of Notepad that writes web sites.

Really, though, thanks to everybody who gave suggestions. I think I'll check out the editors that let you use the mouse to point at what you want and where you want it, if they exist. (SIGH), it's hell being a technological semi-literate in this day and age. :sniffle: :wink:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

djm wrote:I don't know what is smart-arsed about using NotePad. I use it on Windows all the time for HTML.
The smart-arsed reply I was envisioning would be to post one word:
"Notepad"
and offer no explanation. Anyone who didn't know that HTML was
simply code that didn't actually need a special editor would be confused.
djm wrote:The only smart-arsed reply I have seen on this thread is your own.
Hence my dissapointment.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've used it, and my verdict is thumbs down. The earlier version was OK, but he rewrote it to run under java, and I found the new version hostile. I switched to somethign called PSPad, which is a programmer's text editor. It's like notepad but it can do line numbering, syntax highlighting, search and replace, etc., which are all features I use.
Flyingcursor wrote:I found this on a Google search

http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

I've never used it. My simple HTML editor is Notepad.
Oh, Textpad is even better. That's downloadable but not free.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Sounds like Typo3 would be the ideal solution for you, if someone else made the layout :D :D :D

Thing is, when the framework is done in typo3 the computer knowledge needed to run, change or update the webpage is about the same as writing in MS Word, use Explorer and basics of how to post an image.
Anyone capable to post on C&F would be just fine.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!