Whistle Vibrato-How Does Joanie Do It?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

John S wrote:Diaphragm vibrato is a lot slower at say about 5Hz whilst finger vibrato is usually around 10Hz.

John S
See, this is what threw me. Joanie does her finger vibrato much slower than most people, very much like a diaphragm vibrato. I was waiting for my daughter last night for her violin lesson (she makes me wait in the car) and I put on a bunch of Joanie's stuff. "I'll be damned," I said aloud, as I could hear the finger vibrato. It's very smooth and lush, not choppy and frantic like some finger vibratos.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Random notes »

I saw CTL last night (I was in row 9, KDMARTINKY - if I had known, I would have said "Hi!") and Joanie was vibrato-izing by fluttering her fingers below the open hole. On higher notes, it looked like she was fluttering 2 or 3 fingers on her right hand.

BTW, they were GREAT! The other act was Abigail Washburn with celloist Ben Sollee and they just blew my mind. And then Bela Fleck got up and sat in on the last number after the broadcast and the whole evening was just fantastic.

And all for $5. WooHoo!

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

... and Joanie was vibrato-izing by fluttering her fingers below the open hole.

She was placing her fingers BELOW the whistle? I'm confused. Can you give me a bit more info, because I don't get it (or perhaps I am misunderstanding you and I'd really like to get this straight).

The only way I can imagine affecting the tone is to flutter my fingers ABOVE the open hole...
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Emrys wrote:... and Joanie was vibrato-izing by fluttering her fingers below the open hole.

She was placing her fingers BELOW the whistle? I'm confused. Can you give me a bit more info, because I don't get it (or perhaps I am misunderstanding you and I'd really like to get this straight).

The only way I can imagine affecting the tone is to flutter my fingers ABOVE the open hole...
She taps next to the open hole below the note she is playing. On a D whistle, playing the F#, you would tap with your right middle finger, next to the E hole, vibrating the sound without fully changing the note... same for say, the G - you tap next to the F# hole ...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
John S

Post by John S »

The reason it's around 10Hz (up to 12Hz in some people) as this is the fastest speed you can perform a repeated physical action; the motor systems smallest resolution. All continuous movement are actualy lots of 1/10 second movements joined together.

John S
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Below the open hole on the shaft of the whistle body, yes that is right, correction to my earlier assertion that she has her finger actually hitting over a hole.

NancyF
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

We need to commission a documentary of Joanie playing, usinig high speed photography and a British sounding guy doing the narration. We'll draw from the Chiff and Fipple Research Fund and maybe apply for a Feadog Fellowship.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

FJohnSharp wrote:We need to commission a documentary of Joanie playing, usinig high speed photography and a British sounding guy doing the narration. We'll draw from the Chiff and Fipple Research Fund and maybe apply for a Feadog Fellowship.
:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo