find your patron saint!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

find your patron saint!

Post by flanum »

There are patron saints for EVERYTHING!! :o

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/indexsnt.htm
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I like St. Gertrude of Nivelles, the patron saint of cats (among many other things).

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cecilia, patron saint of composers and musical instrument makers.

Julian, patron saint of wandering musicians.

Clare, patron saint of... television?
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

My patron saint, according to my mother, is St. Elizabeth of Hungary.

Patronage
bakers; beggars; brides; charitable societies; charitable workers; charities; countesses; death of children; diocese of Erfurt, Germany; exiles; falsely accused people; hoboes; homeless people; hospitals; in-law problems; archdiocese of Jaro, Philippines lacemakers; lace workers; nursing homes; nursing services; people in exile; people ridiculed for their piety; Sisters of Mercy; tertiaries; Teutonic Knights; toothache; tramps; widows

It is interesting that I love to bake and I am a nurse who used to work in a nursing home and now works at a homeless shelter.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

rebl_rn wrote:My patron saint, according to my mother, is St. Elizabeth of Hungary.

Patronage
bakers; beggars; brides; charitable societies; charitable workers; charities; countesses; death of children; diocese of Erfurt, Germany; exiles; falsely accused people; hoboes; homeless people; hospitals; in-law problems; archdiocese of Jaro, Philippines lacemakers; lace workers; nursing homes; nursing services; people in exile; people ridiculed for their piety; Sisters of Mercy; tertiaries; Teutonic Knights; toothache; tramps; widows

It is interesting that I love to bake and I am a nurse who used to work in a nursing home and now works at a homeless shelter.
Do you have problems with inlaws? Perhaps you make Phillippine lace?
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Congratulations wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:My patron saint, according to my mother, is St. Elizabeth of Hungary.

Patronage

Do you have problems with inlaws? Perhaps you make Phillippine lace?
That'd be cool, but, no. In fact, I'm not married, so there goes the bride part too. Alas, I'm also not a countess or a Teutonic Knight. But, I had a toothache the other day, and I was consistently falsely accused by my older siblings as I was growing up. :)
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
missy

Post by missy »

Congratulations wrote:Clare, patron saint of... television?

yeah- we recently switched from attending Little Flower (actually St. Therese, Little Flower - but that's too long to write) to St. Clare. I did NOT tell Noah that St. Clare is the patron saint of TV!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

And St. Nick is the patron saint of Thieves and pawnbrokers.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Flyingcursor wrote:And St. Nick is the patron saint of Thieves and pawnbrokers.
I thought he was the patron saint of Coppers? (as in - you're nicked son)
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

That's a great site, Conor...I used to look at the "Saint of the Day" every day there when I was converting to Catholicism. Saints are one of the most interesting and appealing aspects of the religion to me...

Anyway, I chose St. Monica for my patron saint, because one of my main religious influences was reading St. Augustine's Confessions. As a teacher I need a lot of patience, so I hope that she will inspire me in that...

Justine
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Cynth, what's with the rats? :o
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Well, it's sort of confusing. The website says:

"As late as 1822, offerings of gold and silver mice were left at her shrine in Cologne; mice represented souls in Purgatory, to whom she had a great devotion."

But St. Gertrude of Nivelles was also supposed to be prayed to (I'm not sure this is the right language to use for a saint) for getting rid of mice and rats and she is also the patron saint of cats. If mice represent the souls in Purgatory to whom she was devoted then you would think she would be the patron saint of mice instead of their enemy, the cat. So I don't know. But it is a lovely picture.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

For the protection of lambs . . . John the Baptist

Patronage: baptism; bird dealers; diocese of Charleston, South Carolina; Colletorto, Italy; converts; convulsions; convulsive children; cutters; diocese of Dodge City, Kansas; epilepsy; epileptics; farriers; French Canadians; Fürstenberg, Germany; Genoa, Italy; hail; hailstorms; Jordan; Knights Hospitaller; Knights of Malta; lambs; Leioa, Spain; Macau, China; Maltese Knights; monastic life; Monza, Italy; motorways; Palermo, Sicily; diocese of Paterson, New Jersey; Penzance, Cornwall, England; diocese of Portland, Maine; Pozzallo, Sicily; printers; Puerto Rico; Quebec; Ragusa, Sicily; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Sassano, Italy; diocese of Savannah, Georgia; spasms; tailors; Teising, Germany; Torino, Italy; Umbria, Italy; Wenden, Germany; Wenings, Germany

:wink:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

It's good you have a saint especially for lambs, Lamby! It looks like he got assigned a pretty heavy workload though, so you'd better not have too many problems!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

But where is Saint Pyr, d. 520, patron saint of Welsh tin miners, who fell down a well after a drunken brawl and drowned.

Saint Pyr (and Others)

More about Pyr here
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow