Whistle Vibrato-How Does Joanie Do It?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle Vibrato-How Does Joanie Do It?

Post by Emrys »

I was listening to a Joanie Madden album. She's playing a high D whistle and vibrating on the "F#" note.

The only way I can figure out that she's creating the vibrato on this note is that she is rhythmically moving the whole whistle around--bouncing it gently... versus doing the usual flutter with her fingers. IS THIS POSSIBLY WHAT SHE'S DOING?

Meaning, is there a vibrato technique where you jiggle the whistle? I've tried it and like the effect, but I'm not sure that there isn't a better way it's traditionally done.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

ALERT: The following paragraph is erroneous. Please skip past it and go the posts below, which are correcter. I won't delete, as I'm not all that concerned that people know I'm not perfect.

Much of the vibrato on her Songs of the Irish Whistle album is diaphram vibrato, ala classical players. I haven't heard all of her work but I don't remember hearing her do finger vibrato. I'm sure she can, though, I've just never heard it.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Without listening to the soundbite to which you refer, I can only posit
possibilities. But I don't see why she couldn't use finger vibrato on an
F#; she would only need to tap the whistle with her right ring and pinky
fingers. Another alternative is breath vibrato, which uses the diaphram,
but that wouldn't sound quite the same. Again, without hearing it, I
couldn't say for sure.
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Craig Stuntz »

FJohnSharp wrote:Much of the vibrato on her Songs of the Irish Whistle album is diaphram vibrato, ala classical players. I haven't heard all of her work but I don't remember hearing her do finger vibrato. I'm sure she can, though, I've just never heard it.
Joanie has stated on this board that she uses fingered vibrato except on D.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

When I saw her play, all of her vibrato on whistle was fingered vibrato.

--James
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Boy, it sure sounds different than most fingered vibrato I hear other people do. It's really excellent.

I stand corrected.

Sorry.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

She taught a workshop at the St. Louis Tionol this past year, and showed us how to get vibrato out of a note above D by 'almost' tapping the note below... sort of vibrating the air above the hole below the note you are playing... i.e. playing the F#, you would tap *by* the hole for E, though not actually covering it.

Hope that helps.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Maybe I can find out tomorrow when I see her with Cherish the Ladies...I anm two rows back and dead center........ :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I had her workshop for a week during Gaelic Roots 2000 at Boston College. What she was doing then and I assume still is doing is pretty much all finger vibrato. What she showed us was happening, with one open hole between the fingered note and and the action, was waggling her finger up and down above the hole in question. Did that make any sence at all?

NancyF
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

You guessed it...

OBLIGATORY POST!

Nancy has a good description for it. It looks to me like her finger never actually contacts the whistle. Instead, it looks like it just barely misses the hole.

(P.S. - I will admit to probably having the weirdest vibrato on this forum. I use my right thumb. Yes, you read it right.) :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
John S

Post by John S »

Diaphragm vibrato is a lot slower at say about 5Hz whilst finger vibrato is usually around 10Hz.

John S
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Jim, I think she not only touches the whistle body, but actually bumps it fairly hard, remember there is one and sometimes two holes open between the note being played and the vibrato spot. In fact it may be the bumping causing it to move in your mouth that causes the effect.

Nancy
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

John S wrote:Diaphragm vibrato is a lot slower at say about 5Hz whilst finger vibrato is usually around 10Hz.

John S
Really!? :boggle: You think that fast? I cant get any TWO fingers to beat 10 times a second.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Scott McCallister wrote:
John S wrote:Diaphragm vibrato is a lot slower at say about 5Hz whilst finger vibrato is usually around 10Hz.

John S
Really!? :boggle: You think that fast? I cant get any TWO fingers to beat 10 times a second.
Heh, I remember once counting all the notes (including grace notes) in a Mary Bergin tune and it was something obnoixious like 250 over just a few seconds. I'll have to perform that experiment again ;)
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Wanderer wrote:Heh, I remember once counting all the notes (including grace notes) in a Mary Bergin tune and it was something obnoixious like 250 over just a few seconds. I'll have to perform that experiment again ;)
250 notes in 10 seconds would be by itself an audible (but very low) pitch!