Why do some shrimp taste like bleach?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:LC, you are scaring me. I love shrimp, but only eat it at restaurants. I love steamed shrimp (actually, most seafood is better steamed). I hope restaurants don't follow the preservation methods you outlined.
Depends on the restaurant. If they have a good reputation and want to stay that way, they will stay on the straight and narrow.

Chains are fairly safe, as they use frozen, shipped-in, quality-controlled stuff. Many restaurants simply purchase pre-made, frozen entrees and such, and that's usually quite safe. Might not be gourmet, but it's safe.

In grad school one summer, I worked at a very famous French Quarter restaurant. The experience totally changed my notions about restaurant dining. This place made everything from scratch--nothing came pre-made.

They had turtle soup, which was delicious the day it was made. That's when the staff ate it--the day it was made. It wasn't made EVERY day, because it was a pain to make. It sat out in a vat all night, was left to cool toward the end, and then went into the fridge. Next day, and next, a load of lemon juice got dumped in to cut the not-quite-fresh taste. Eventually, they'd have only a little left, at which point they would often make some fresh and mix it with the leftovers, which tasted so bad at that point that it couldn't be served straight up.

There were several famous dishes made with lobster. A giant load of lobster would be steamed early in the day and tossed into a giant gray dishpan thing, covered with salted water. Unrefrigerated. (And, mind you, the kitchen was HOT.) Upon getting an order for a lobster dish, a cook would haul out a lobster, brush it with butter, and stick it under the broiler a bit. Instant broiled lobster. Or, for dishes requiring sauces and such, cut the meat out of the shell, mix it with the sauce and stuffing crumbs or whatever, then stuff it back into the shell and toss it under the broiler.

Everybody knew not to eat anything containing lobster--and you could tell which new employees had been sneaking lobster, because they'd be deathly ill the next day. The dishpan of lobster was, I figured, a seething soup of Staphylococcus from the kitchen staff's ungloved hands fishing in there for lobsters.

Fish which had to be freshly cooked was ok, because it was actually kept on ice in the refrigerator until cooking. Beef was safe because it was aged and kept in the cooler until needed. The lobster, on the other hand, had to be cooked in advance and was then too hot to go back in the fridge, and so much of it was used that it was inconvenient to chill and reheat, so it was left out.

The sanitation in this place was unspeakable. There were exposed wooden beams crossing the ceiling--it was, after all, a famous old building--and rats scampered along them all night. The inspectors came in and saw all of it, and it didn't bother them a bit. We knew about people getting sick, because they'd often report it to the health department, but the health department just called to let us know. There were no sanctions and nobody forced them to improve their methods.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Reminds me of when I worked in a theater at the snack bar. The popcorn was bought already popped and kept in big sacks the size of lawn leaf bags in a storeroom under the stairs. Before the theater opened we would pour the popcorn into the dispenser and let it warm up, then we would take the metal bowl of "butter" from under the counter and put it in to melt. At night the "butter" would be put into a clean bowl and put under the counter - uncovered. Then the other bowl was washed and put away. There were mice in the storeroom and I'm sure they enjoyed the "butter" at night.

Back to the main topic - I don't like seafood, and maybe the way it's treated is the reason.
Charlene
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

OK, now I can't eat Chinese food out, popcorn at the movies, or seafood in restaurants.

Who started this thread anyway. :moreevil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I.D.10-t wrote: That is why most of the meat that people eat (with a large exception of fish) comes from vegetarian animals. It is only the perverse farming practices of today that we feed these animals other animals (man I am sounding like a vegan). We do not eat crow, cat, or other carnivores. In fact, toxins are accumulated in every step of the food chain after plants (which is the reason some Hare Krishna’s will not eat mushrooms, or so I was told)

Vegetarians taste better!
I'll second that, and add omnivors to the 'might-not-wanna-eat-that' list. When I lived in Williams Lake, packages of 'mystery meat' would end up on my doorstep (-30c is an effective freezer!) and I had the misfortune to eat a fair amount of bear. Throwing out a gift (from hunter and bear) seemed horribly wasteful, so I became a creative cook.

The worst was porkchops. Sweet, tender, perfect, slightly odd-looking porkchops.

They were from a cougar that had been lurking around the elementary school in Horsefly. :sniffle:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It's a little-known fact that lambs are omnivorous.
djm

Post by djm »

So are owls.

"Omnivorous" happy as when I'm eating chocolate.

See? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

cowtime wrote:OK, now I can't eat Chinese food out, popcorn at the movies, or seafood in restaurants.
and I can't drink bleach without thinking of shrimps from now on.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm glad this came up. I bought some "fresh" scallops from a local store a couple years ago and they were horrible. They had a very strong chemical stench and taste. Now I know why.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.D.10-t wrote:

Vegetarians taste better!
Of course they are!
Why do you think there's no Hare Krishna temple here in Salt Lake? :D
Same reason Peta protests are rare.

Free range vegetarians taste better, but its so hard to catch em here!

I'm with djm on this one....

I'll bring the favar beans and chianti.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Flyingcursor wrote:Lemon Zest? It's grated peeling! It's a lemon PEEL. What idiot first called it zest? Bah humbug.
Zest is the extremely thin yellow layer of the peel. Pith is the white part of the peel. The zest has essential oils and will add a very lemony aroma to a dish, without making it sour. Pith will add bitterness and not much else.

Lemon zesters and microplanes are ideally suited for scraping off that essential part without getting much pith. I wouldn't want to eat a cake that had whole lemon peel grated into it ;)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Wanderer wrote:Pith will add bitterness and not much else.
Then I shall refrain from making a pithy comment.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wanderer wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Lemon Zest? It's grated peeling! It's a lemon PEEL. What idiot first called it zest? Bah humbug.
Zest is the extremely thin yellow layer of the peel. Pith is the white part of the peel. The zest has essential oils and will add a very lemony aroma to a dish, without making it sour. Pith will add bitterness and not much else.

Lemon zesters and microplanes are ideally suited for scraping off that essential part without getting much pith. I wouldn't want to eat a cake that had whole lemon peel grated into it ;)

I can buy that. At least it's not some made up trendy thing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

Relax, FlyingC. I think Wanderer is just taking the pith. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Wanderer wrote: Lemon zesters and microplanes are ideally suited for scraping off that essential part without getting much pith.
Really? Image
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:It is only the perverse farming practices of today that we feed these animals other animals (man I am sounding like a vegan).
Unfortunately, this is one place where Veganism meets reality.
Adding Srapie-infested sheep brains to Cow feed is what started
Mad Cow disease.