Whiskey Before Breakfast

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

There's a French Schottiche that reminds me somewhat of WBB. Sort of has the same general outline. You can hear it played on 5-string banjo here:

http://www.magicbanjo.com/mbanjo_record ... ic%20Banjo

It's on two albums. The Magic Banjo and Counterpoint.

Steve
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Interesting... I'll have to do some computer-wrangling and listen to it sometime....
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

I have heard it played in a waltz tempo before. It was played intentionaly this way for the fun of it and called Spirits Before Breakfast.

After it is played all the way through, the group speeds the tune up to tempo. And slows it back down as if, one had too many drinks before breakfast. :wink:

Laura
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

(Groaning & holding spinning head) I thought this was an instruction, that'll teach me to read the whole message before diving in next time.

Another bank named after a tune, The Kylebrack Ramblers, recently played the Hammersmudge Irish Centre in London.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2002-07-21 15:38, janice wrote:
Coloman-where'd you get your version of John Brennan's?Curious.....because it's not the same tune as(that I know of)Silver Spire(not silver spear)but a completely different tune. I'm still waiting to hear somebody play Silver Spire in G......not D.Great tune, either way.
Hmmm... I actually learned Silver Spire (called that) from a fun Lansing band called Pub Domain. The John Brennans name comes from the Molloy-Brady-Peoples album, where they list it as "John Brennans (Silver Spire)". I always think of the tune as Silver Spire, and the only reason I even noticed they used a different name for it is that I checked their liner notes to see whether it was Speed the Plough or Speed the Plow. :smile:

Silver Spire is indeed a great tune in either key. I've been known to compromise and play it on the A whistle. (Though it's been a long time since the tune popped up in a session that I've played in, which is a shame.)
DanD

Post by DanD »

I doubt in Walden's church would let me play it, though...

:wink:

Kim
I have heard of a group that played "Whiskey Before Breakfast" in church, but they called it "Water of Life". :lol:
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

:lol:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Water of Life!!!

I like it...

I will need to pass that one on.

:lol:
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

Kim,
When our group plays Whisky Before Breakfast at a church gathering we call it The Spirits Of The Morning.
Howard