The Possessive United States: NOT POLITICAL

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Post by carrie »

Redwolf wrote: Standard usage in the U.S. is to just add the apostrophe.
Yeah, that's what the U of C Style Manual says. It also says that when you use the term as an adjective you should abbreviate it, as in U.S. history. The Government Printing Office, not that that's any great authority, acknowledges this as an exception and seems to agree with jim stone.

I'd still reword.

Carol
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i would write: states'
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

"states" is plural. You wouldn't write "dogs's" or "cats's" would you? Ergo, United States'.

Or just get around the whole problem by "United States of America's"
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Maybe we should rename our country to make it less complicated. :lol:
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

You could always say, "America's."
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Bushistan.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Sam, not really. While states is plural, the United States is one country. We don't say "the United States are a force in the world..."

And Congratulations, nope, can't do that. Everyone on the North and South American continents is American, according to some.

Carol
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

OK, I went back to the definitive source, my 1960 high school textbook, "Warriner's English Grammar and Composition". Mr Casey, my high school teacher, would not have been happy with my earlier response. According to this authoritative text, it doesn't make a difference whether a noun is singular or plural when the word ends with the letter "s". The author's write, "In words which end in an s-sound, it is permissible to form the singular possessive by adding the apostrophe without the 's'.This is done to avoid too many s-sounds."

However, the answers to Dale's original question indicate why he had the question in the first place. Answers to such questions remain a matter of style, and there is no concensus about acceptable style with regard to a dynamic language.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Just a one example point, but if a word ended in double S, I'd write an 's' after the apostrophe. So if Ross gets married, I'd write and say Ross's wedding.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cskinner wrote:Sam, not really. While states is plural, the United States is one country. We don't say "the United States are a force in the world..."
I would word that statement as "these United States are a force in this world," or "the Union is a force in this world." I would not say "the United States is a force in this world."
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm sure previous responses have covered this, but to just say, e.g., "U.S. territories," uses "U.S." as an adjective and avoids the problem.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cskinner wrote:I'd re-word the sentence, really. The _____ of the United States...

Never once in my years in editing social studies materials and writing US history books have I seen either possessive used. It's just not worth it.

Carol

PS But Doug makes a good point. Those are adjectival rather than strictly possessive, I think?? You could say United States territories as you would say French territories, rather than France's territories.
What about if the "United" isn't in front of it. For example, "states rights".
Wouldn't that more properly be "states' rights"?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

cskinner wrote:Sam, not really. While states is plural, the United States is one country. We don't say "the United States are a force in the world..."

And Congratulations, nope, can't do that. Everyone on the North and South American continents is American, according to some.

Carol
Actually the correct name of the country (according the dollar bill is my pocket) is "The United States of America". To use "United States" by itself is slang. If one is going to shorten the full name, it's simpy easier to use "America" and to add an "'s" for the possessive.

About people from North and South America. Common usage is "North American" and "South American". Last time I looked no other country had the word "America" as part of the official name of their country. Citizens of "The United States of America" can legitimately call themselves Americans. Citizens of Chile can call themselves Chileans and South Americans. I think this is pretty much the practice for all countries and continents, although if there's an exception, I'm sure someone will point it out.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

USA's
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

MarkB wrote:I hope you don't get poked or punched in Chad :lol:

MarkB