Is Clogging Really a Problem?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is Clogging Really a Problem?

Post by PhilO »

It seems that so many threads have at least a mention of "clogging," along with a variety of "treatments" to solve the problem. I've owned and played over a hundred and fifty whistles all told; granted I now play regularly over time no more than ten or so, but have only once in recent memory noted a clogging problem. By example, last night I did a solid hour and a half, non stop, on a Black Diamond C, no clogging. I don't recall, because it's become habit, whether or how often I covered blew and shook but it couldn't have been more than every few tunes or so. The only clogging problem I noted was on a friends O'Brien the other day.

It seems that clogging would be effected by several factors, including headpiece material, headpiece construction (ramp angle, etc.), and how much the player spits into the whistle whilst playing. Today so many headpieces and fipples are made of delrin and like materials that don't absorb moisture and makers seem conscious of other elements of construction to keep air flow optimal, that perhaps the problem is most often caused by the technique of the player?

Do players for example recall having clogging problems when they first started but no longer? Or is just that the hole cover, blow and shake method is easily replaced by one application of these treatments (dupanol?, etc.)?

Deranged inquiring minds want to know...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have a serious clogging problem. I pretty much can't play Overton-style instruments except in the heat of the summer. I even have clogging trouble with all-wood whistles like Bleazey, Grinter, and Swayne, although boxwood helps a lot. In the winter I pretty much keep my playing to Water Weasels, other whistles with no metal, and the Burke WBB. We keep our house pretty cold in the winter.

Another factor is the time structure of your playing. My playing tends to be in short spurts. Either short sessions or interrupted. So the whistle head isn't warmed up for any substantial period of time. I suspect my breath has more moisture than most, too. I even have a flute on which I have to wipe the embouchure hole frequently.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Have you tried not putting the whistle beak in the mouth too far?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

It probably is a happy coincidence of where you live and where you play and your own style of play. Moisture, humidity, dew point, change in temperature all count. For example, if a person brings in a whistle from the cold into a warm place, it immediately begins to attract moisture, and will be much more prone to clogging.

If you ain't got the problem, you are blessed. Many of us out there play in different environments. Style of play has to be a factor, but environmental factors are probably equal if not greater.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

It's a fact that moist air condenses on cold objects. We all have different temperature environments that we play in, we all output different levels of moisture in our breaths, it's inevitable that condensation will occur in a windway under some circumstances.

Is it a problem? No, it's a law of physics and biology combining that is easily solved with a little bit of Ecover washing up liquid.

?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Right, totally forgot environment.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I suspect body chemistry may also play a role in these individual variations.

Water vapor isn't the only potential condensate in exhaled air. Perhaps there are components of exhaled air that create more of a tendency for condensation buildup in a whistlehead.

I'm continually amazed at how much a difference variations in body chemistry can make in the way brass reacts to a player's touch. I have a Mellow D tube that has green crystals inside and out around the toneholes from corrosion caused by the player's fingertips. Some players' fingers polish brass, some darken it, some corrode it. It seems logical that differences in the composition of exhaled air would also cause variations in how the whistle behaves.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I don't have a big clogging problem but then again I usually pick up a Whistle as an interlude between Flute and more Flute.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

A lot of times, and I've noticed this especially on bassoon, the body will adapt itself a little to the instrument. The longer I played bassoon, the less spit my mouth produced when I played. Now I don't have much of a problem at all.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congratulations, I didn't know you were a fellow Basssoon player.
Tommy

Re: Is Clogging Really a Problem?

Post by Tommy »

Do players for example recall having clogging problems when they first started but no longer? Or is just that the hole cover, blow and shake method is easily replaced by one application of these treatments (dupanol?, etc.)?

Deranged inquiring minds want to know...

Philo[/quote]

I have tried the dupanol, and the soap method but do not use it any more.
Could never tell how long it would last, and I did not like fussing with it.
Now I stay with warming the fipple and by blowing with a finger or hankie over the window. Then habitually blowing with a finger or hankie over the window between tunes. After it became a habit I have not clogged. I also breath and exhale as needed through the corners of my mouth and this keeps moisture from falling in by evaporating it first. Sometimes I can feel it start to girggle a little and I can tip the whistle to the side and save the tune. If I were to say the one thing that works best is as Phillo says, blow inbetween tunes with the window coved.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Unseen122 wrote:Congratulations, I didn't know you were a fellow Basssoon player.
Yes, I play the bassoon. It is the most interesting instrument I've ever come across.

My friends always called it a chimney, since it sticks up out of the orchestra. :lol:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Congratulations wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:Congratulations, I didn't know you were a fellow Basssoon player.
Yes, I play the bassoon. It is the most interesting instrument I've ever come across.

My friends always called it a chimney, since it sticks up out of the orchestra. :lol:
No instument has a bigger personality than the farting bedpost. Love it lots, but I play it soooo badly. . .
Great rackett to get into.

Clogging? I hardly notice it on whistle, but I'm a compulsive spit-sucker. Pity the poor double-horn player, who sometimes has to check 6 or 10 crooks for the errant goober. :wink:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

The only whistle I've ever had a clogging problem with is my Syn C. I love the whistle but I have to give it a good clearing every tune or two to save myself the embarassment of clogging during a tune. It got much better with a detergent solution added to it but I still have to apply that every few sittings.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"Is Clogging Really a Problem?"
Only if you have two left feet.
Only if they use canned music.
Only if they are out of step with each other.
Only if you object to modern tap-dance costumes for old-timey dancing. So... I would say "sometimes"... oh... you mean like mucky sitcky, gummy stuffy stopping up your windway... then "defintiely!" :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com