A question for flute makers...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A question for flute makers...

Post by Screeeech!!! »

How do you turn a flute leaving the key blocks on?

Just wondering for interest. :D

?
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Not a flute maker, but a person that has mad things on a lathe.

Files, chisels, sandpaper, and an artistic eye.

But my stuff looked like crap. Maybe they have a magical device. (I hope)

EDIT: Made, not MAD.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

To add to what ID said, the blocks are left on as complete rings around the flute body. Then using the tools cited, the parts of those rings that won't become blocks are removed. Again, I'm not a maker, but I've seen what they do.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have always wondered about that also.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

What? Nobody said "Very carefully"?

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: A question for flute makers...

Post by Jon C. »

Screeeech!!! wrote:How do you turn a flute leaving the key blocks on?

Just wondering for interest. :D
I think most of the flutemakers will use a milling machine to remove the excess material around the block. This the next tool on my wish list... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Pretty much as Chas said. But as Jon C chipped in while I was composing this response, using hand tools to remove the bulk of the excess wood is not easy - it's hard to be sure which way the grain is going as you rotate the piece, and so not hard to dig in too deep. I (and I imagine most makers) use a mill to remove the most of the excess safely, and to cut the slot neatly through the block. There's still plenty of hand tool work to finish it up!

We perhaps romantically imagine the 19th century flute makers using only the simplest of treadle lathes, relying upon great skill, patience and animal cunning to produce enough flutes to sustain their simple life-styles. But as you might have seen on 19th c Hammy's treadle lathe, the cross slide (as fitted to metal-turning lathes, not normally wood lathes) was in common use by then, as was the "overhead" - a neato milling attachment for lathes. And in a city boasting a hundred or more flutemakers at any time, competition for work would have been too high to waste time on unproductive processes.

We may never know how they removed the excess wood around the blocks, as any remaining evidence is destroyed in the finishing process. But it is possible to see how they did the slots - it appears to have been done with a guided scraping tool, as many flutes show the same scratch marks at the bottom of all the blocks. Indeed, on some you find the maker dug a little deep, and the scratch marks run neatly all the way from the hinge block of the Long F to its guide block. You wouldn't do that with a hand held tool. Given the availability of the "slide", I think it is reasonable to assume the scraping tool was held in the slide and guided by it.

Terry
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Thank you for your answers.

I'm really impressed that it's done by hand, i was thinking there was some sort of interesting machine to do it.

?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Roger! I love ya, man, but PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE....

NO CLOWNS!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

M
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

This is how my setup looks using a Taig benchtop milling machine and a Sherline rotary table. The piece is a lower body section, and you can see the slots cut for the long F key. The long F support block is mostly finished, and I am starting to remove the excess on for the long F pivot block. The hose clamp on the bottom is to discourage splitting of the tenon.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dcopley wrote: The hose clamp on the bottom is to discourage splitting of the tenon.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
What, no cup centers around the shop :poke: :lol:

Loren
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

dcopley wrote:This is how my setup looks using a Taig benchtop milling machine and a Sherline rotary table. The piece is a lower body section, and you can see the slots cut for the long F key. The long F support block is mostly finished, and I am starting to remove the excess on for the long F pivot block. The hose clamp on the bottom is to discourage splitting of the tenon.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Hi Dave,
How long is the table on your Mill? Is it long enough for a Pratten body?
I was looking at the Sherline mill, but maybe a Taig would be the way to go. Want one for Christmas... :puppyeyes:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Jon C. wrote:
Hi Dave,
I was looking at the Sherline mill, but maybe a Taig would be the way to go. Want one for Christmas... :puppyeyes:
Jon,
I bought the longer version of the Taig mill - the table is 18.5". If I remember rightly, the Sherline did not have a long enough table, which was why I went for the Taig. You can just fit a Pratten body between the rotary table and tailstock.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

dcopley wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
Hi Dave,
Jon,
I bought the longer version of the Taig mill - the table is 18.5". If I remember rightly, the Sherline did not have a long enough table, which was why I went for the Taig. You can just fit a Pratten body between the rotary table and tailstock.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Thanks Dave I will look that up. And drool...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Aha! So there is a machine. :D

?