Rolling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rolling

Post by Ann »

I'm looking for newb advice. I am starting to play songs with rolls in them, but my rolls need work. What I lack is manual dexterity, my left middle finger especially won't move on beat. I guess I'd never had a real relationship with that finger before (polite girl that I am).

How did most people learn how to play perfect on beat rolls? Do you just play them over and over in songs until they sound right or do you grit it out with a metranome for an hour a day?
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I think what worked best for me was practicing continuous rolls -- just hold the base note and alternate between cuts and taps in rhythm. Start slow and work your way up to speed.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I'm my metronome's bitch for an hour a day. :lol:

The only rolls giving me problems are the A & B.

?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The standard link to Bro. Steve's site is now inserted:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

Post by Guest »

susnfx wrote:The standard link to Bro. Steve's site is now inserted:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
That's a cool site, I've never run into it :) <br> <br>
Theres the famous http://www.whistletutor.com/ which I'm pretty sure helps with stuff along those lines.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I'll second Brother Steve's site, and the use of a metronome.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I'm trying to move out of the dah blah blah phase into real songs. I've been lax with the metronome because I live with other people and am too embarrassed to play the same notes over and over within earshot.

My approach so far has been to play songs with lots of cuts and strikes hoping that it would make the transition easier. Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try the metronome.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I must admit, I had the same fear when I first started practicing my saxophone in sixth grade. I didn't want to play anything at a volume that people could hear it unless it was a song! But eventually you learn that they don't really care what you're playing, and they probably don't want to hear any of it, so you may as well play what's going to help you most.

:lol:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Hope this won't be taken amiss, but if you're learning traditional Irish music, they're tunes, not songs. If you go to a session with some knowledgeable ITM players, they may call you on it if you say something about playing a "song." (There's at least one member of this board who had that embarrassing situation arise - [no, not me - she might share it if she reads this ... or not]).

Well meant,
Susan
Ann

Post by Ann »

susnfx wrote:Hope this won't be taken amiss, but if you're learning traditional Irish music, they're tunes, not songs.

Well meant,
Susan
No offense taken. Unfortunately the rules of the Universe state that we have to start off ignorant. Thanks for the correction, now I have one less means of embarrassing myself when someday I am ready to find a session :boggle: :D .

-Ann
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

As always, start slow and build speed.

The A and B rolls are taking me maddeningly long to get decent at. I wonder if I'm not built for them.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A rolls are my bugbear. I've posted this before, but what I often do is use the RIGHT index finger to make the strike on the G. With a little practice, I found I can sneak the finger up there and back in plenty of time except in the fastest of tunes. An alternative is to use my right index finger to tap on the fingernail of the left index, thereby tapping that finger down on the G. That requires lifting the Right index quite a bit though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
John S

Post by John S »

The secret with any fast ornamentation or tune is to play it slow a lot of times and when I say a lot I mean as long as it takes.
I play GHB's and when I got my Deger E-Chanter for some reason it could not "see" my Birl (a double tap on the bottom hole with the right little finger) which I did in the "down and across style". I decided to learn the Tap and curl method instead which it could see. It took 6 months of slow practice to get it up to speed but my Birls are now better than ever.
Don't loose heart, slow to fast will work if you persevere but don't force yourself to practice if your not in the mood; try to enjoy your practice and a little often is better than a lot every now and then.

Good luck

John S
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think I remember Bloomfield saying it took a year of steady work to get his rolls right---he said he did them over and over for a year. This is meant to be encouraging---if Bloomfield can do it, anyone can! JUST KIDDING!!! :lol: It is encouraging because it shows that you aren't trying to do something easy and that it takes a long time for anyone to do it well.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Rolls are hard. As my teacher says, learn to love mind numbing repetition.