Whistle-Whistler Bond

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle-Whistler Bond

Post by PhilO »

We've discussed this before, but it was recently brought clearly to home. Assuming all other elements equal, there is something to be said for that bond or fit between player and whistle. There are whistles that I can acknowledge as fine whistles but that I just don't bond with.

A prime example, is the Humphrey wide bore that I recently sold. It's a fine whistle but we never quite hit it off. Dowling starts to play it and I'm friggin' astounded - it was beautiful and sounded like it never sounded to me before - an instant bond. We're mired in different types of tunes right now, him mostly on airs and marches and me on jigs and reels - so I don't know whether that has any effect. But even on common tunes, the difference was amazing to my ears; it was also immediately evident Tom was just making that particular whistle sing in a way I'd never do with that particular whistle.

Have any of you noted this, or am I just plain delusional (well, those are probably not mutually exclusive)?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I think you are right on the money. There are several whistles that I have played that I just can't get used to. One of them is the Clarke original. I do not like it at all. I am not real fond of an Oak. I do love a Clare and a Feadog. My Humphreys narrow bore is exactly what I like in a whistle. My Alba Q1 is my favorite for certain kinds of tunes. I played an Overton low D and a Kerry low D and much preferred the Kerry. However it was a sample of one each. Personal taste is a big factor.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, that can be-you will play a certain instrument like it was your own when you pick it up, if all the chacteristics are right, and then, there are people who could make a toilet paper roll sound like a silver whistle-it's in the genes!

I've bought whistles that I'd heard played by someone and loved the tone, and then have found it just doesn't sound the same when I do it!

But, you don't know until you try it yourself, whatever it is.
~~~~
Barry
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Definitely-- most recent example for me was a Thin Weasel Bb I bought last summer from Glenn's family after Glenn's funeral. I originally thought I wanted a low G and tried a couple of those. They were excellent, but none of them talked to me. I also tried several A's and then this Bb came along. INSTANTLY I knew that this whistle had been made just for me. It was like Glennwhispering in my ear "Oh yeah, try this one. Arrr.."
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I couldn't agree with you more, Phil. I really don't have a good explaination , but I tend to just "bond" with certain whistles. I have been blessed to have aquired quite a few high quality whistles. Each is wonderful , in it's own right , but there are certain "go to" whistles that I can really make sing. Lord willing , I'll be around long enough to make them all sound terrific ! As it stands , most of my whistles are capable of far better than I can give them !! :lol:

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

At the Gathering there were great examples of this. For myself there wher a couple for Flutes the two Flutes which I played that I really liked and would purchase if I had the offer and the Money would be Paul's Shultz Flute and Walt's Williams Flute weird how they were noth made by now deceased makers. For Whistle it was Tyg's Abell that I really liked.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have noticed something, and maybe this has something to do with our perception of this, is that a whistle (or any instrument for that matter most likely). There is a different sound from behind the instrument than from when I am listening to the same instrument as an spectator.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Philo, you are too kind by far!! If I was not aware of your exceedingly good grasp on reality, I would opt for the 'delusional' option you offer in your post!!

All kidding aside, it was a joy to me that we were able to 'play hookey' and butcher some tunes last week, and I am enjoying the Humphrey D whistle a lot. By the way, did the MP3's of your fine playing get to you?

I wrote to Gary Humphrey to tell him my opinion of the D, and he pointed out that that particular wide bore head will stand up to one of his C bodies just fine, and I have one on order. To be sure, a man deserves more than one good C whistle, and while I am blessed with a fine John Sindt C, having another good C in the old whistle rack will be a comfort.

I have put the Humphrey to good use learning a tune I found on an Open Source website, and I made some progress on it today--a real fine mandolin version of (take your pick) Judy's Reel, The Maid Behind the Bar or Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel. Here is the link to the tune, which is an inroad to the site itself: http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-deta ... urce_audio

There are only 51 Celtic entries on this site, but the many varieties of other music, including American Roots Music to be found there more than make up for that particular lack. Now I know, for example, where Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band got many of their great tunes that I became aware of only in the 1960's. Hearing the recordings from the late 1920's and early 30's is real humbling. Fritz Richmond, the washtub base and jug player in the Kweskin band passed awy recently, and I will make mention of that in a separate post, though that might border on OT.

I am real glad I stumbled onto this website and into the pennywhistle a few years back. The fellowship is as important as the music. Indeed, they make each other possible.

Be well,

Tom D.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

IDAwHOa wrote:There is a different sound from behind the instrument than from when I am listening to the same instrument as an spectator.
... or when you watch as the audience?

:) sorry, couldn't resist.

Tom & PhilO: It grieves me full sore that we have not have had a recent get-together. But here I am, midnight on a Friday at work and no bloody end in sight.
/Bloomfield
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Dear Bloomfield:

Mrs. D and I would be honored if you could grace our home with your presence this coming Monday or Tuesday evening, along with Philo and anyone else you can rustle up. If this coming week is not convenient, then either of those two nights of the week after work for me as well. Another fine player, who asserts that 'he is not Irish' but admits to knowing you, might also be able to join us, given some prior notice.

If it is the week after, I will be better able to plan for and prepare some of that hearty vegetarian fare that has kept the Bloomfield lineage so keen witted, musically adept and gazelle-like in stature lo' these many generations.

Be well,

Tom D.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tom Dowling wrote:Dear Bloomfield:

Mrs. D and I would be honored if you could grace our home with your presence this coming Monday or Tuesday evening, along with Philo and anyone else you can rustle up. If this coming week is not convenient, then either of those two nights of the week after work for me as well. Another fine player, who asserts that 'he is not Irish' but admits to knowing you, might also be able to join us, given some prior notice.

If it is the week after, I will be better able to plan for and prepare some of that hearty vegetarian fare that has kept the Bloomfield lineage so keen witted, musically adept and gazelle-like in stature lo' these many generations.

Be well,

Tom D.
Oh, I'm a fat slob, am I? I can read between the line as well as the next paranoid neurotic. :) Well, my shape is neither here nor there, I guess (it's everywhere, I know, I know).

Tuesday sound vaguely doable. Let's touch base on Monday night or thereabouts.
/Bloomfield
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Regardless of your real (or imagined) girth, if you stand next to me, you are certain to look taller and thinner.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I doubt that. A hobbit once called me "stocky."
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Bloomfield Wrote:

Oh, I'm a fat slob, am I? I can read between the line as well as the next paranoid neurotic.

Remember, it's not really paranoia if folks are, in fact, out to get you!

Tom D.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Tom Dowling wrote:I have put the Humphrey to good use learning a tune I found on an Open Source website, and I made some progress on it today--a real fine mandolin version of (take your pick) Judy's Reel, The Maid Behind the Bar or Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel.
Actually sounds like the the A part is the first four bars of Maid Behind the Bar, and the B part is exactly the B part of Merry Blacksmith as Fairport Convention plays it. Weird.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)