Another Newbie!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another Newbie!

Post by tys »

Howdy Whistlefolk!
I've just signed up here after a couple weeks of lurking about.
I've had my little Oak D whistle for at least a decade, but just really started doing some serious tooting in the past few weeks since being inspired by a low whistle player I heard playing in a pizza place in Santa Fe, NM. Thanks to reviews I read on this very forum, I'm now the proud owner of a Sweetheart Resonance Low D! Despite the efforts of many music teachers as a child, I still can't read those little dots, but I'm having fun fingering out tunes on my own. Thanks to all for making this forum such a great source of information and entertainment!
Cheers,
Ryan
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Welcome Ryan , to C&F, and the exciting world of whistles.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Welcome!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome, Ryan!

Judy
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Hello :D

?
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Hello and welcome Ryan :)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hi Ryan!

Where in Santa Fe? I went looking for music and was told that I'd have to go to Albuqueque or Taos.

Sincerely,
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi tys---Always nice to see a new face! Keep tooting away! :)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tony McGinley

Re: Another Newbie!

Post by Tony McGinley »

tys wrote:Howdy Whistlefolk!
I've just signed up here after a couple weeks of lurking about.
I've had my little Oak D whistle for at least a decade, but just really started doing some serious tooting in the past few weeks since being inspired by a low whistle player I heard playing in a pizza place in Santa Fe, NM. Thanks to reviews I read on this very forum, I'm now the proud owner of a Sweetheart Resonance Low D! Despite the efforts of many music teachers as a child, I still can't read those little dots, but I'm having fun fingering out tunes on my own. Thanks to all for making this forum such a great source of information and entertainment!
Cheers,
Ryan
And Howdy to you Tys!! From an occasional contributor to these pages. I'm a low whistle person myself and playing just over a year. Like you, I never learned to read the dots properly but have developed a good "ear" as a result.

My wish for you is that you gain as much deep satisfaction from playing as I do. Having come from playing the piano, I find the wind instruments so organic and so expressive in a way that satisfies something deep inside me in a way that the keyboard does not. (that reads a bit awkwardly, but I am sure you grasp my meaning) Still love playing piano, both instruments fill different needs for me.

Hope to see you around here a good deal.

Fáilte go dhi Chiff&Fipple,
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
scheky

Post by scheky »

Welcome,

So tell us, how do you like that Low Whistle of yours? I'd have considered getting one if I didn't already own a Low G/A Water Weasel Set, a Low D Chieftain and a Low D Copeland (oh yeah, and a M&E Flute). Still, it's nice to hear about what's out there...you never know...
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Glad to have you join us Ryan.

This group has been a great resource for me. I've acquired lots of advice, a few instruments, and a connected feeling with the rest of the planet where my kind of music is appreciated. Folks have pointed me to some really good recordings, books, and sessions. I know you'll enjoy the conversation.

Jennie
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Hello, tys! Always good to see new folk here (it covers up my own ignorance :D!. Hope you hang around for awhile.

The folks in this forum are generally kind and supportive. So much so, that I find I keep getting more and more involved. Although I have little to offer in the way of experience or knowledge and I have little experience or desire to spend my time in chatrooms or with bulletin boards, I have learned a great deal from these people and so will you.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Welcome!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Tyghress wrote:Where in Santa Fe? I went looking for music and was told that I'd have to go to Albuqueque or Taos.
I never found a session in Santa Fe, either (in the week I was there). But there is an Irish dance school, and the owner gave me contact info for a local musician. So if there's not a session already it seems that there are at least a few people around who might be interested.

I did find a session in Albuquerque, but the timing didn't work out for me.

Anyway, welcome to the board, Ryan!
tys

Post by tys »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
As for the Santa Fe deal... My girlfriend and I went to Upper Crust Pizza one Saturday night last month, and there was a fellow there playing music: guitar at first, then he pulled out a big metal tube and proceeded to make some lovely sounds with it. :) He played mostly Irish sounding tunes and some Native American sounding ones also. If I see him again, I'll definitely go talk to him!
I don't know about sessions in Santa Fe or Albuquerque (where I live) but I'm new at this so it will be quite a while before I'm ready to play with others.

Regarding my new whistle (Sweetheart Resonance): I don't have the experience or vocabulary to give you a proper review, but I like it a lot. I bought it online having never played a low whistle before, but all the comments about it were very positive. I was able to get lovely sounds out of it right away and was therefore pleased with my choice! I have since played with an Overton and a Susato at a local shop. I can say that it's easier to play than either of those. (fewer squeeks and such) It sounds better than the Susato and requires MUCH less air than the Overton. I spent five minutes blowing into the Overton and then looking perplexed as to why it made no sound!
My only problems with the Sweetheart is that the Low D note is hard to play without squeeking, and I can't get a good tone on the upper octave (especially above the first couple of notes). I assume these are MY problems and not the whistles, however.

Cheers,
Ryan