25 years gone ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

25 years gone ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Frank Gifford, football player and commentator wrote:Monday Night Football could ... bring together the most unlikely people. The weirdest scene I ever witnessed in the booth happened in 1976. The night before a game in Los Angeles, I ran into John Lennon at a cocktail party promoting the release of a Beatles collection. On impulse, I invited him on the show. He liked the idea but warned me he knew nothing about football. Meanwhile, I'd forgotten we had arranged for Ronald Reagan to come on the same show. Now it was just before halftime. I turned around, and there was Ronald Reagan with his arm around Lennon, explaining what was going on down on the field. And John looked absolutely enthralled. Here were two of the most political, ideological, and cultural opposites on the entire planet in the Monday-night booth -- acting exactly like father and son!
From The Whole Ten Yards, by Frank Gifford with Harry Waters (Random House, 1993), quoted on www.salon.com

Best wishes,
Jerry

Post by Guest »

weeeeird.
Lennon should've kicked him in the groin and ran.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

grand. they set aside their differences and had a good time. perfect.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

R.I.P.

The name Mark David Chapman will always bring a tear to my eye. :(
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The name Mark David Chapman will always bring a tear to my eye. :(
Forget the name. That would be his greatest punishment.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jbarter wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:The name Mark David Chapman will always bring a tear to my eye. :(
Forget the name. That would be his greatest punishment.
:thumbsup:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

God bless you John Lennon
We miss you...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Reagan and Nancy liked, and sometimes defended,
rock music and musicians. They knew show biz. They had Springsteen
play at the White House.
emmline

Post by emmline »

People do not have to hate each other because they have opposing political points of view.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

But it helps. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

emmline wrote:People do not have to hate each other because they have opposing political points of view.
Couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jim stone wrote:Reagan and Nancy liked, and sometimes defended,
rock music and musicians. They knew show biz. They had Springsteen
play at the White House.
True, but did they really ever listen closely to the words of 'Born in the U.S.A.?' For that matter, did anyone of the hordes who adopted it as an unoffical national anthem?

Reagan's favourite musician was, apparently, the 40s hipster Slim Gaillard. Gaillard, sang in an invented hipster language mingled with English and occasionally Spanish and played pretty good guitar and piano—basic for bebop but advanced for R&B. He was part of the popular duo, Slim and Slam and recorded with Charlie Parker, as did that other proto-rocker Tiny Grimes.

I can just hear Nancy and Ron talking to eachother in vout.

Wanna cocktail o'roonie?
Eh McVout! Donna forgetta the umbrellereenie.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wombat wrote:
Wanna cocktail o'roonie?
Eh McVout! Donna forgetta the umbrellereenie.
Did he look like this?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown