Decline in Humdiity

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Decline in Humdiity

Post by glands »

I sure wish we could have a little global warming about now.* The cold weather in middle TN has required extended use of forced dry heated air in our home and the humidity has fallen from 68% to 42%. Time to get the humidifier out as the beehive set is good for about 45 min before showing minimal signs of dysfunction as a consequence of the changes.

* No proof that the cycle of supposed warming is unnatural. We have had global warming before and glaciers have melted in a big way. How the heck do ya think Ben Bulben and the Burren came into existence! There is proof that the radiant energy of the sun has increased in recent decades. How do you sort out the effects of man, the sun, other biomass which is far greater than that of the worlds human population, etc. Global warming cannot be blamed on Americans, Republicans, or Dick Cheney.** If you've gotta blame somebody to feel better about it then blame the middle easterners for pumping all that oil out of the ground in the first place.....or our friends from GBR for starting the industrial revolution.....or the first caveman dude that cooked over a fire......or...just blame me.

** I'm an independent who is best classified as a Libertarian....so there!
Congratulations

Re: Decline in Humdiity

Post by Congratulations »

glands wrote:** I'm an independent who is best classified as a Libertarian....so there!
Libertarians confuse me... :-?

( :wink: )
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
billh

Post by billh »

When I first read the title of this topic I thought it read "decline in humility", and thought "Geez, how could it get any worse?". (Not you Glands, you're one of the good ones.)

Over here the steam from endless kettles of tea seems to offset the problem; that and the bucketing rain like we had yesterday. As long as global "warming" doesn't cause the Gulf Stream to re-route, that will spoil the party, much as I like white Christmases...

<friendly poke>
BTW G-man, is it cooler, or warmer, with your head in the sand? :-D
</friendly poke>

(I used to be one of the liberal libertarians, but then those became extinct.)
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

billh wrote:
Over here the steam from endless kettles of tea seems to offset the problem; that and the bucketing rain like we had yesterday.
I am even feeling it here in Central Florida, so I have returned to putting the kettle on the boil. This morning, we are having a nice rain, and the relative humidity has jumped from 54% to 56%.... wooooo hoooooo!! :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

glands wrote:.....or our friends from GBR for starting the industrial revolution.....
Oh if only we'd listened to the Luddites. :cry: <in a Charlton Heston voice> Damn them! Damn them all to heeeeeellllllllllll !!! </Charlton Heston>
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

GaryKelly wrote:
glands wrote:.....or our friends from GBR for starting the industrial revolution.....
Oh if only we'd listened to the Luddites. :cry: <in a Charlton Heston voice> Damn them! Damn them all to heeeeeellllllllllll !!! </Charlton Heston>
:lol: :lol: :lol:
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I now work and live in the coldest part of the UK and the lads at home all laugh at me and my little humidity meter...but in a month I've seen it swing from 70% down to the current average of 40%....and it really does bugger up the amount of air the reeds take...and as for the regs' tuning... :o
If I wasn't a skier and climber, I'd be a mightily pissed off piper.

PS..Can anyone tell me why humidity gets so low when it snows?

Boyd

[from somewhere in the Cairngorm National Park!!!]

"Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team searching for lost cars"

http://www.cmrt.org.uk/photo.htm
http://www.cairngormmountain.com/
http://www.cairngorms.co.uk/
Last edited by boyd on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

boyd wrote: PS..Can anyone tell me why humidity gets so low when it snows?
When the conditions are approached that allow the precipitation of water from the atmosphere as snow, the water vapor (humidity) in the air doesn't get a pass just to keep your reeds happy :P You have to feel for those in really cold areas (most of Canada, Midwestern US, etc) where the humidity at this time of the year can fall well below 10%. :o

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I noticed some slight cahnges to the playability of my reeds, but then I just open the hot-tub cover for about 15 minutes to allow some moisture in the air and the reeds are good to go again...... :lol:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
glands

Post by glands »

BTW G-man, is it cooler, or warmer, with your head in the sand?
You are so kind, my friend. Most already suspect my head is in my a**....and its warmer there! :P

Yeah...if that Gulf Stream alters its route you guys are in for some snow. Hey......we could blame BrazenKaine!!!!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

glands wrote:... the humidity has fallen from 68% to 42%. Time to get the humidifier out as the beehive set is good for about 45 min before showing minimal signs of dysfunction as a consequence of the changes.
God! I dream of 42% humidity! I have taken to putting a dampit in my bellows and attaching my patented pizza-box-table humidifier to the intake.

Glands is a good friend of mine and I know he enjoys lively, intellectual debate, so here goes!
glands wrote:* No proof that the cycle of supposed warming is unnatural.

True that glaciation and interglacial phases have occurred through the milenia. What's different now is the rate. Geologically, the current uprise in temperature has occured very rapidly.
glands wrote: We have had global warming before and glaciers have melted in a big way.

True. See above.
glands wrote: There is proof that the radiant energy of the sun has increased in recent decades.
That may be. If it increased so much as to be the sole cause of the climatic change we are seeing now, we'd all have skin cancer.
glands wrote:How do you sort out the effects of man, the sun, other biomass which is far greater than that of the worlds human population, etc
The other systems you mention have been operating in a fairly steady and predictable state...measuarable over the last several to several hundred thousand years. The only variable in the equation has been the effects of the increase of greenhouse gas emissions (also measurable) combined with the deteriation of systems that (left more or less functioning) would be able to absorb some of the dramatic increases in these imputs.
glands wrote: Global warming cannot be blamed on Americans, Republicans, or Dick Cheney.**
Well, like it or not, the US emits more CO2 per person than any other country in the world. I emit it (via driving a car, heating my house...farting, etc) you emit it, we all emit it or are respondible for it. CO2 is real, its amounts are measurable (over hundreds of thousands of years) as are its effects...especially in a closed system such as our planet. Americans, Republicans or Dick Cheney didn't invent global climate change. But we all have a responsibilty to look at the data and make our best (or better) choices accordingly.

The science is in - as is the verdict. The rest of the world gets it and has moved on.
glands wrote:If you've gotta blame somebody to feel better about it then blame the middle easterners for pumping all that oil out of the ground in the first place.....or our friends from GBR for starting the industrial revolution.....or the first caveman dude that cooked over a fire......or...just blame me.
Sorry Glands, I can't let you take the hit for this one. I blame the giant cycads and treeferns of the Carboniferous Era. What were they thinking?

I know this topic is off topic. Tough. :evil:

Passionately,

T
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

Don't put on the kettle to boil, sit down and make a dry weather reed or two for your chanter. Then when you come visit out to the desert, you will have a couple of reeds to use.
I'm using a 2 year old reed that was made around this time of year and it just keeps getting happier and happier as the temperature and humidity drops. :D It's -10F today. Enjoying Canada's biggest export to the states, really cold air.
John
glands

Post by glands »

All very good points Tom...except the point about the measurability regarding hundreds of thousands of years....not sure about that one. Why everybody living down here (except us heathen Catholics) in the bible belt has heard a preacher say the world is only 6000 or so years old (smirk, snicker).

Oh yeah, Nashville is a nice town. You ought to move down here for that humidity your reeds are in need of. We'd have a blast piping together.

One last thing....we'll blame my wife. She brought me to work today. That Rover she wanted is getting only 14 mpg this morn!!! Geez...my sporty car gets twice that on highways!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

glands wrote:All very good points Tom...except the point about the measurability regarding hundreds of thousands of years....not sure about that one.
Ice core data. They can count the bubbles!
glands wrote:Why everybody living down here (except us heathen Catholics) in the bible belt has heard a preacher say the world is only 6000 or so years old (smirk, snicker).
Did you read that Onion headline about the Theological Geologist (I think it was) who recalculated that the earth is, in fact, 60 years old.
glands wrote:We'd have a blast piping together.
Indeed we would. Maybe you need to move north, so that your reeds freak out less with The Change (not talking menopause, here).
glands wrote: That Rover she wanted is getting only 14 mpg this morn!!! Geez...my sporty car gets twice that on highways!
Rovers are fun...but they always seem to be missing something when they don't have lions or baboons hanging out on them. Oh, and one man's sporty car is another man's pipecase
:D

t
Last edited by tommykleen on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Glands, but recent ice core measurements in Antarctica show that current CO2 levels are at their highest in over 650K years. This is not something that can easily be blamed on cycles of any kind. This morning there was a news item that all the Inuit peoples of Russia, Siberia, Canada and Greenland have formally issued a charge against the USA as the highest polluters in the world for disrupting their way of life through global warming. (The USA is also the loudest fighter against adopting air pollution controls like the Kyoto agreement.)

Why does the humidity drop with colder weather? Cold air has a lower capacity to hold moisture.

Cold-weather reeds only get you so far. The rapid changes from day to day also give the reeds fits. My current reed is nearly two years old, and varies from day to day whether it will play 2nd 8ve b, or allow me to play stuff like a 2nd 8ve e cran.

Sometimes I just have put the octopus to bed .... before I put it throught the wall in frustration. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.