Satellite Radio: Advice?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Satellite Radio: Advice?

Post by Dale »

I'm thinking of making the jump into Satellite radio. I would use it only in my car. I'm looking at the program guides for Sirius & XM and I can decide on my own which to go with. It's the hardware choices that are a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have experience with Sat radio in their cars that they can share? When I see ads for car stereos that say "XM Ready" or "Sirius Ready" does that mean I could get one of those installed, replacing my existing unit, subscribe, and then be set? What do we think of these little portable units?

Anyway, would appreciate your ideas.

Dale
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

*sigh* Isn't life complicated enough?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:*sigh* Isn't life complicated enough?
Yes. But I'm thinking I'm more likely to get some Finnish Barbership/Industrial Disco/Gyoto Monk Chant Fusion action going on the Sats.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:*sigh* Isn't life complicated enough?
Yes. But I'm thinking I'm more likely to get some Finnish Barbership/Industrial-Disco/Gyoto Monk Tantric Chant Silent Film Score action going on the Sats.

Dale
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Why don't you walk to work, Dale? Get your exercise that way, too.
/Bloomfield
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The satellite dish is too hard to hold while your walking.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Bloomfield wrote:Why don't you walk to work, Dale? Get your exercise that way, too.
Hey. I'm in the peak physical condition of my life, Bloomfield. I have the strength of 10 men.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

DaleWisely wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Why don't you walk to work, Dale? Get your exercise that way, too.
Hey. I'm in the peak physical condition of my life, Bloomfield. I have the strength of 10 men.
Yeah, but WHICH 10..?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

DaleWisely wrote:
If you'd have said seven men, I'd have believed you... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ok, I exaggerate. I have the strength of three toddlers.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I think it's safe to say that members of this forum, as a group, have not exactly flocked to satellite radio. But, listen, I thought I made myself clear:

Satellite radio will be required to receive The Notification. Here are some simple instructions to modify a satellite radio to recei//////##[][][][][bBRK....RUNNING SUBRTN:vgra.../ ///CONTENTDISALLOWCODE:beta/////////////STOP
//
{END{
missy

Post by missy »

Satellite Radio?
I don't need no stinkin' satellite radio.
The Crystal People implanted an antennae in me <<<<CUT TRANSMIT..*(*&&^*(*)(......>>>>>>>
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My brother has an XM receiver (I think made by Delphi), which has a
built-in FM modulator. What this means is that the receiver takes the
signals from the satelite, then resends that signal on an FM station.
You can usually pick from 4 or 5 stations, so you don't conflict with
any actual local channel. It's low-power enough that only your car
and anyone who passes you will be able to pick up the signal, but
those people passing you on the highway probably won't be tuned
to that FM station...

My brother has mounted some velcro on his dashboard, and he just
sticks the XM receiver to the velcro when he gets into the car, plugs it
into the cigarette lighter, and viola, he's listening to XM. So, the moral
is: if you can get a receiver with an FM modulator, I'd advise you to
do so. That way, you won't have to install a new radio in your car...
dwinterfield

Re: Satellite Radio: Advice?

Post by dwinterfield »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm thinking of making the jump into Satellite radio. I would use it only in my car. I'm looking at the program guides for Sirius & XM and I can decide on my own which to go with. It's the hardware choices that are a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have experience with Sat radio in their cars that they can share? When I see ads for car stereos that say "XM Ready" or "Sirius Ready" does that mean I could get one of those installed, replacing my existing unit, subscribe, and then be set? What do we think of these little portable units?

Anyway, would appreciate your ideas.

Dale
Earlier this year I was thinking about a new car and looked at the higher end honda accord. It came with xm radio installed, first 3 months free. Just get a new car. With the accord hybrid you can be very fuel efficient while going very fast.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I am quite a propeller head in the circles I travel. I love gadgets, really I do. But paying for something that people have just been able to suck out of the air (for more than a century) just seems... wrong. I still rail against having cable tv. I was using rabbit ears until I got married in 2001 (my wife insisted on being able to see ESPN for the Hockey games... she was not amused when I suggested we bag the cable service during last season's NHL strike :D :lol: ) Interestingly, I always found something to watch on the dozen or so locally broadcast TV stations. Now with "expanded-basic" cable I get about 100 channels I would guess, and cant seem to find anything to watch.

Unless I was an OTR trucker with hours-long expanses of highway and no radio reception, I really wouldn't find a use for satellite radio, commercial-free or otherwise.

I do get quite the kick from my iRiver H340 mp3 player though. This way I can program my own music content and I never get tired of it. If I want, I can listen to an entire album, select an entire genre, or go with random play (quite a head-spinner to go from "New World Symphony" to "Brass Monkey") or make custom play-lists. And it always has my favorite new song/artist/album just a few button pushes away. The Little FM Transmitters (to rebroadcast to your car radio) have gotten better from what I have seen... Maybe that is an option.

Good luck with that!

Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.