Recording on your computers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Franz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recording on your computers

Post by Franz »

I would like to record some of my whistle playing on my computer for analysis and was wondering which method or program many of you use for your recordings. I am using Windows XP Home Edition and have a microphone. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

/Bloomfield
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

It all depends on what you wish to achieve.

If you just want to get a recording for reference
or for fun, then your average PC will do fine using
the Windows software. If you have a SoundBlaster
sound card you will do better again, they give you
a wave editor and basic recording tools. Any fairly
decent microphone will do just fine.

If you want to get something approaching
professional quality - then you are into a
different ball-game. First you might need to
consider a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card.
This will give very good sound at a reasonable
cost. Next you might want to get a good
quality microphone. I personally recommend
a large diaphram condencer mike, but these
need a mixer with fantom power.

Third thing you will need is a good recording
software package. I have found "Cool Edit Pro"
to be excellent, and also instinctive and very
easy to use.

A good software programme will allow you to
edit the recording and to add reverb and other
effects. It will also convert the recording into
various useable file formats including MP3s.

Hope that helps and that I haven't over-
loaded you with information.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you both for your replies. I am a beginning whistle player and my needs are simple. I just want some recordings for personal feedback in an effort to improve my playing.

I have downloaded and installed "Audacity" (thanks to Bloomfield's link) and it works, except the volume is very low with all settings in there highest positions :-? . I may have a defective mic, because it is brand new and unproven. Thanks again!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Franz wrote:except the volume is very low with all settings in there highest positions
Normal...
After recording
Select all (CTL A)
Effect
Amplify...
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Franz wrote:I have downloaded and installed "Audacity" (thanks to Bloomfield's link) and it works, except the volume is very low with all settings in there highest positions :-? . I may have a defective mic, because it is brand new and unproven. Thanks again!
You might want to check and see if your sound card has a mixer program. The input levels there might be set low, and there is some sort of switch frequently to indicate the kind of microphone you have, which might make a big difference....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Franz

Post by Franz »

Denny,

I did what you suggested and it increased the volume, but also the static and background noise. I'm pretty sure the problem is in recording. The recording sound line in audacity barely moves when I record.

Colomon,

If my sound card has a mixer program, I'm unaware of it and couldn't find anything listed under all programs. I have the same problem using the little sound recorder program found in "Accessories" "Entertainment", so it could still be the input level somewhere or my mic.

Thank you both!!
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Franz

Go to your sound cards volume controls (it's in Control Panel) and under the recording section you'll find the recording level for the mic.

Some sound cards have a dB boost on the mic record level along with the volume control. If you're pluggin a mic straight into your computer you'll need the boost on. If you don't have the dB boost option on your sound card you'll probably need a pre-amp to up the signal from the microphone to get a decent recording. Any amplifier will do the job - run it through the hi-fi.

PS. Audacity rocks!

?
ten or more

Post by ten or more »

I had the same problem and tried all the suggestions given here without success. I think it's just a mismatch between the mic and sound card impedence. (Acutally sounds like I know what I'm talking about - don't believe it.) Probably could have bought a new mic if I could have determined what impedence I wanted but I went out and bought a $30 mixer with built-in pre-amp that solved the problem for me. Didn't hurt that I wanted a small compact mixer anyway.
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

What mic are you using? I have a relatively cheap Shure SM57 chinese clone, a Takstar TA-8100 (dynamic unidirectional mic) and I need to play quite close to it when recording. The output levels are in the low side usually, unless I'm playing the highest notes in the second octave of my Water Weasel, but after amplifying the static is minimal and the sound is very good for such a cheap mic.

I have an Audigy... it may make the difference but I can't really tell since I didn't try this mic on any other soundcard...
And I'm using Audacity under Linux btw :)

How close to the mic are you playing?
I use a high stand and put the mic in a 40 degrees angle from the top, aiming to the lower part of the window of the whistle. I found this lowers the wind sound but stills makes for an open, clear sound. You should try playing as close as you can, but not so close to hear the sound of the wind coming out of the window.
Cristian Feldman
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I am fairly new to home PC-based recording, but have been pleased with Cakewalk Music Creator 2.0 (cost $40.00) in conjunction with a Behringer Eurorack UB802 mixing board (cost about $50.00), which accomodates up to 6 separate inputs. (I should be so lucky as to find 5 other people who would be willing to record with me, not to mention that the set-up is in our living room!). I use a Sony condensor mic, but rumor has it that Santa is getting me a better mic soon. I also had the low input signal and it could not be corrected via tweaks of the semi-decent soundcard that came with my PC. Remember that this investment up-front can last you as long as you want it to.

I think recording yourself has solid instructional/learning value. Fooling around with a tad of reverb, compresison, equalization, etc. is also fun, though perhaps somewhat of a departure from the 'pure drop' way of thinking. For a real 'power lift' you can also record yourself in conjunction with CD cuts of tunes that you are already able to play along with. Adding your whistle track so as to become the third instrument in a piano/guitar track, for example, is a real charge. (HINT: Listen to the audio track with headphones on!)

I needed some tech help getting everything set up, but it was worth it. Heck, I'll take all the help I can get.

Tom D.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Franz wrote:I did what you suggested and it increased the volume, but also the static and background noise.
Yep...it makes what is recorded louder... :o

The mike that the computer maker uses is inexpensive, go figure!
If the sound card will boost the input great.
Franz wrote:I am a beginning whistle player and my needs are simple. I just want some recordings for personal feedback in an effort to improve my playing.
...So far you don't have much into your recording studio.
It should be easy to find any number of things to spend money on that will make it better! :lol:

...oh yeah, one last thing, hire a good engineer. They are worth every penny. :wink:
Bret

Post by Bret »

I like GoldWave. it is free and esay to use, plus it has reverb effects which sound really nice especially on low whistles.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

You can also check out your own sound without using a computer at all.

If you have access to a camcorder, record yourself playing, then play the sound back through your tv or hi-fi.

It might not be the best technical method, but you will get some idea of how you sound to other people,
and can thus experiment with a technique e.g. tounge , "tkd" or roll.

It''s actally quite enlightening (and humbling - possibly frightening!!!!) to listen to your own playing on the 'other side' of the instrument. :sniffle:

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Franz

Post by Franz »

My mic is an inexpensive “Plantronics Audio 15 PC microphone” purchased at a local computer store. I’m playing as close to it as I can get. I’ve gone through every sound/audio setting on my computer I could find and set everything to its max setting. I definitely lack a sound studio and was hoping to get by without one. The more money I spend on sound equipment the less I have to spend on whistles and WhOA is me.

So you think I need a preamp/mixer?