Key of E anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
neohealy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Key of E anyone?

Post by neohealy »

I'm new to these forums, so let me first introduce myself. My name is Katie and I have been playing the whistle for about 6 years now. My question is this....

I recently came into contact with someone who would like me to play in his band. I've never played in a band, or in front of people at all for that matter. I went to practice with them with my Sweet Heart professional D whistle. As it turns out, most of the songs they play are in E so now I am on the hunt for a nice sounding E whistle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that is affordable and pleasant sounding? I looked at Elfsongwhistles.com and they have affordable E whistles. I found a Cheiftain Low E on Ebay, but I have a Kerry Low D and a Cheiftain C and am not very fond of either.

I'm also wondering if maybe I should be setting my sites on an A whistle instead.

Any input would be appreciated!
Last edited by neohealy on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

One of the whistlers in our session, Jen Felio, has an Elfsong E that is just wonderful.

--James
neohealy

Post by neohealy »

Is that a High E or a low E?
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Those are pretty whistles. I can feel an attack of WhOA coming on for a rainbow cotton candy in sassy brass. I just need to decide what key.

Thanks for mentioning Elf Song. And welcome to the forum. :D

?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I like my A whistle for playing in E and occasionally my high E at the moment. However, when you find your perfect E whistle please post what it is as i'm also interested in buying a low E.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

neohealy wrote:Is that a High E or a low E?
Jen's is a high E.

--James
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I have a very beloved high e whistle.

It was made by Mack Hoover and donated to a raffle we had on here years ago. I won it.

It is the sweetest more exquisit sound I have for solo stuff and then its also useful for playing rock and roll in E and A, lol.

Nancy
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Hoover, O'Brien, Bingamon, and Burke are some that I know who make whistles in high E. Oh, and Susato, of course. I think all of the above (Except O'Brien) could make a Low E also.
Keith
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have a Burke low-E composite that's wonderful. I don't play whistle anymore, so I'd part with it for 75% of the current list. PM or email me if interested.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.

Post by Guest »

Are we talking about Eb...because if not I didn't even know they made an E...I've decided to buy C and Eb (the only reason is because Flogging Molly uses a Eb and I could play along with the CDs)

*edit...I looked it up and found some Es (sorry for my ignorance), which is more practical the E or Eb for sessions?
neohealy

Post by neohealy »

Nope, I'm talking about an E natural. I have an E flat which isn't really helping me at the moment lol Who'd have thought and E whistle would be so hard to come by. I'm starting to think I should get an A too...And of course those aren't as easy to come by and I'd hoped either lol

I'll have to check my collection. I could have sworn I had a cheap one by Generation. But now that I've looked, I don't see that Generation even makes one.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

FenianForFreedom wrote:*edit...I looked it up and found some Es (sorry for my ignorance), which is more practical the E or Eb for sessions?
Well, unless you're planning on playing in (as far as I can tell mythical) Eb sessions, the Eb is pretty darn useless for sessions. I don't think I've ever used one of mine at a session. (If I have, it was probably in duet with a Bb whistle when all the non-whistle players had gone home for the evening.)

E, on the other hand, is moderately handy for playing tunes in A or E in sessions. Not the commonest of things, but it does happen every now and then. More often if you're hanging out with Canadian or Scottish fiddlers. (I picked up a lovely A major crooked reel from Quebec's Pascal Gemme over the summer -- sounds grand when played in a low E whistle / fiddle combo. Doubly so if the fiddle is tuned AEAE.)
Last edited by colomon on Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I was told an E whistle is good for following the fiddles when they go up to A. So far I have never played with fiddles who do that. It would be fun though.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Mason's Apron is a tune which fits very well on the E whistle, although it's certainly playable on the D as well.

--James
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Well, let me be the first to mention Overton as another maker of high and low E whistles. ( and every other key of whistle you could think of!) I don't play mine much, but it has a very wonderful sound.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus