Bring Out Your Guilty Secrets ....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Bring Out Your Guilty Secrets ....

Post by Wombat »

I mean your musical guilty secrets but, hey, I'm not fussy.

On another thread I admitted to liking some music that is trashy. Nobody rushed to join me. But I have a hunch that we all like trash of some kind or another. For years I clung to my list of favourite magical trashy records and couldn't understand why so many Americans liked records that were just trashy. Then it dawned on me; we all like the trash we grew up with. Americans grew up with the Kingsmen's 'Louie Louie', I grew up with the Pink Finks' version. I'll never find the former even listenable; I'll always love the latter. Each age has its own trash. Gee, some people even like Abba.

Here's some of my favourite trash:

The Rivingtons —The Bird is the Word
The Troggs — Wild Thing
The Stooges — I Wanna Be Your Dog
The Mar-Keys — Last Night
The Chips — Rubber Biscuit
The Sex Pistols — God Save the Queen
The Regents — Barbara Ann
The Eternals — Babalu's Wedding Day
Nathanial Mayer — Village of Love
Gary US Bonds — Quarter to Three
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bring Out Your Guilty Secrets ....

Post by Congratulations »

Wombat wrote:Gee, some people even like Abba.
LIES! ALL LIES!!!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

Thanks to my wife, I'm now fond of Mad Caddies and Postal Service, both kinda trashy in their own way. :)
Congratulations

Re: Bring Out Your Guilty Secrets ....

Post by Congratulations »

I believe I'm of an odd sort (go figure). I don't listen to the music with which I grew up (and am currently growing up). But, really, can you blame me, considering?

STORY TIME:

When I was in middle school, my dad started me on the local classic rock station. We'd listen to it in his truck on the way to and from school, and every time a song came on he'd ask, "What band's that?" and I'd do my best to answer. Of course, I didn't know anything at all at first, but as the weeks and years passed, and as I could actually answer with the band name, the questions became, "Okay, who's the lead singer? What about the Bass player?" And thus I am me.

Eventually, I realized that I hate a lot of classic rock, but that a good deal of it is amazing. The Beatles were my first love, and thus it shall remain. The first band that I decided I absolutely despise was Def Leppard, and God help me if I ever pay for anything they recorded.

JUST ANSWER THE POST, KID:

Nonetheless, I have developed a taste for music that I am well aware is not... of a calibur. Granted, I'm sure a lot of people on this board like some of these people, but I'm nonetheless ashamed that my musical collection includes them.

The Doobie Brothers
Herb Alpert
Boz Scaggs
Chicago
Tiny Tim (and I don't just like Tiny Tim, I love him)
That song "Hello, It's Me," by Todd Rundgren
And...

Barry Manilow :(
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I like just about anything by The Bobs.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I like Image :)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

jsluder wrote:I like just about anything by The Bobs.
I knew I liked you Slude-- the Bobs are astounding! Have you had the pleasure of seeing them in person? Unbelievable. Catch them in a small venue if you can so you can get up close and personal.
First time I heard them was in my car on NPR. I turned on the radio and there was this astounding rendition of the Beatles' Helter Skelter. I literally pulled off the road so I could devote my attention to the song. I became an instant fan.

The one I really want to hear is not out on CD quite yet: Rhapsody in Bob. It's Gershwins Rhapsody in Blue with Bob Malone on piano (the guy has MAJOR chops!) and the Bobs doing the rest of the orchestra.

The Bobs are not a pleasure to feel guilty about.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:
jsluder wrote:I like just about anything by The Bobs.
I knew I liked you Slude-- the Bobs are astounding! Have you had the pleasure of seeing them in person? Unbelievable. Catch them in a small venue if you can so you can get up close and personal.
First time I heard them was in my car on NPR. I turned on the radio and there was this astounding rendition of the Beatles' Helter Skelter. I literally pulled off the road so I could devote my attention to the song. I became an instant fan.

The one I really want to hear is not out on CD quite yet: Rhapsody in Bob. It's Gershwins Rhapsody in Blue with Bob Malone on piano (the guy has MAJOR chops!) and the Bobs doing the rest of the orchestra.

The Bobs are not a pleasure to feel guilty about.
Yeah, but some people don't "get" the Bobs. I've seen them live (in a small venue) once, and have several of their albums. I was hooked the first time I heard "My Husband Was A Weatherman". Their cover of "Particle Man" is also outstanding. They're coming to Seattle just after Christmas... must see about getting tickets...
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I like ABBA.
I don't have any of their CDs but when they come on the radio I don't jump up to turn it off. A great little pop band.

The Doobies get an airing around hear from time to time and I've always been a grret admirer of Judy Collins version of Send in the Clowns - that song is a masterclass in the art of songwriting.Very few songs of that genre can compress such a multiplicity of meaning into so few lines.

Oh yea..Anne Murry - you needed me - what a voice.

Slan,
D. :oops:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Paul

Post by Paul »

I can never get enough of Devastatin Dave.

fyffer

Post by fyffer »

OK. I confess.
My favorite rock band is (was, sadly): Phish.
I'm also a huge Indigo Girls fan (though I confess not recently - mostly their older stuff).
And, when I'm doing work around the house, I listen to a Classic rock station, since I like to sing so much, and everything they play, I know all the words to. (Check out cool102.com -that's the station).

And I'm a huge fan of "Prairie Home Companion".
If you don't know what that is, Google it.

There. Now I feel better.
:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I like the a cappella mix of "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fyffer wrote:OK. I confess.
My favorite rock band is (was, sadly): Phish.
I'm also a huge Indigo Girls fan (though I confess not recently - mostly their older stuff).
And, when I'm doing work around the house, I listen to a Classic rock station, since I like to sing so much, and everything they play, I know all the words to. (Check out cool102.com -that's the station).

And I'm a huge fan of "Prairie Home Companion".
If you don't know what that is, Google it.

There. Now I feel better.
:)
Whassamatter with Phish? A great buncha slacker-hippie guys with kewl tunes....Damn, at least they were creative...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I like to play stuff like "Born to be Wild" (Steppenwolf) and "Radar Love" (Golden Earring) and "Mr Roboto" (Styx) in the car. Makes me drive faster, so I use less gas. Yeah, that's it.

...and I don't think "A Prairie Home Companion" should be either guilty or a secret; I'll take "The Powdermilk Song" over Abba any ol' day.

:wink:
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I couldn't begin to list all the bad music I like. It all started with Gene Pitney in that bad period before the Beatles. Isn't it terrible what a town without pity can do. Meatloaf was good for a while. There are celine dion songs I like.