Paintings with Pipers aka The Art of Piping

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I know these are etchings, but some interesting images here.

This is a great etching of a piper's hands. I particularly like
the use of lighting in this image. Note the lower hand where the flats
of the fingers are used, where as the tips of the fingers are used
with the upper hand. Look at it long enough, and I swear yoiu
can see them move.

carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by carel »

my own copy of a vallely
poor light conditions
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Brian Lee wrote:Hows about pipe related drink holders (coasters). For many of us, these are almost as important as the bloody instrument (or at least what these HOLD is!)

If you're going to show the artwork, you should credit the artist.

This is the work of Norman Stiff of Elora, Ontario. His website: http://www.normanstiff.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

billh wrote:
BigDavy wrote:Hi Cynth

The first one looks like a pastoral set

David
The one of Haverty? There's a popping strap in evidence. Never heard that suggestion before, what makes you say that?

Bill
Bill, I took the picture David was commenting on down thereby causing a lot of confusion. :lol: It is one that Joseph has put up, but I am going to put it up again so that there won't be this confusion in the thread. And then you can see if you agree with David.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cynth

Thanks for putting it back up and saving the confusion.

I had another look at your pictures and, if the painting is accurate to scale, then, given the length of the foot of the chanter, I think that the Itinerant Irish piper is playing a pastoral chanter as well.

billh - what do you think?

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

These two stamp images come from http://www.hotpipes.com/sts0024.html.
Image............Image
.........................................................................................................................................dated 2001
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

More work by Norm Stiff:

You might recognise this as the cover of the book Move Your Fingers, about the life and music of Chris Langan. This is of course a portrait of Chris Langan.

Buy the book here: http://www.cranfordpub.com/books/chris_langan_book.htm
billh

Post by billh »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Cynth

Thanks for putting it back up and saving the confusion.
I had a passing thought that maybe you had removed the image Cynth. I see I spoke too soon.

Hard to say, about "The Blind Piper". The standing pose certainly suggests Pastoral, but then again, it's not too common for artists to get the details of unfamiliar objects 100% right. I could be convinced either way about the length of that chanter.

p.s. - Joseph, you're right, I think that top etching is a masterpiece. What kind of pipes, I wonder? Seems short for union/uilleann... so who's the artiste?
I had another look at your pictures and, if the painting is accurate to scale, then, given the length of the foot of the chanter, I think that the Itinerant Irish piper is playing a pastoral chanter as well.

billh - what do you think?

David
glands

Post by glands »

Wouldn't it be nice of someone at NPU to photograph their collection of portraits and then post them on their website (which seems to be inaccessible more than not).
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

That etching that Joseph posted fills me with awe and jealousy. Truly brilliant.
P.S. I promised Joseph a wee painting in February or March :oops:
Now that I have a bit of cash for paints(it's been that tight), I should have it done this week.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
djm

Post by djm »

Actually, Joe's etching is of a recorder. (Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha :twisted: )

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I remember that there was a drawing of Seamus Ennis on NPU's site a while ago. The site seems to have imploded. Does anyone have the pic?

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
L42B

Post by L42B »

The picture of Paddy Conelly looks very similar to a sweedish bagpipe (have a look at the bottem instrument on this website).

http://www.sackpips.smedja.com/index.php?id=16&L=2

From what I can see there are many different types of Sweedish pipes like there are with french bagpipes. The pipes played by Paddy Conelly look like a combination of all the different types listed on that site. Maybe there is a link somewere between the Sweedish and Irish music traditions? Many Nordic people fleed to Ireland and Scotland during Napoleon's attempted invasion of the Union in the early 19th century. This is about the time that the pastoral pipes appeared in Scotland and the final form of the Uilleann Pipes developed in Ireland.

Cheers L42B :)
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

L42B wrote:The picture of Paddy Conelly looks very similar to a sweedish bagpipe (have a look at the bottem instrument on this website).

http://www.sackpips.smedja.com/index.php?id=16&L=2

From what I can see there are many different types of Sweedish pipes like there are with french bagpipes. The pipes played by Paddy Conelly look like a combination of all the different types listed on that site. Maybe there is a link somewere between the Sweedish and Irish music traditions? Many Nordic people fleed to Ireland and Scotland during Napoleon's attempted invasion of the Union in the early 19th century. This is about the time that the pastoral pipes appeared in Scotland and the final form of the Uilleann Pipes developed in Ireland.

Cheers L42B :)
Erm...I think the Swedish pipes you're referring to are a modern instrument developed by the German/Swedish pipemaker, Alban Faust.

And a special shout-out to any Gaelgeoiri lurking about...
That drink coaster has "Pib Uilleann" written on it...a common enough sight in modern Irish, but if we're going to get all nitpicky about it, shouldn't the proper spelling in this case be "Pi(o)b Uilline" or something like that? Different case ending, that sort of thing...